Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2006 660. Normally she gets to sit in a heated garage so she starts with ease. If I have to put her in the shed over night, or if I am out ice fishing and its cold, she will not start. Its a carb model so it has a choke. But we can crank on it til the battery dies and won't even get a sputter.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Jess

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Those symptoms usually point to that valves needing adjustment. Have you adjusted the valves lately. Always adjust then closer to the upper limits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not. Is this hard to do? I am mechanically inclined, I just never adjusted valves before.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No I have not. Is this hard to do? I am mechanically inclined, I just never adjusted valves before.
I am not really mechanically inclined and I adjusted the valves on my 02 Grizzly a couple of months ago. Having a service manual and reading posts on this forum helped me do it with confidence. I think there are a few videos on YouTube also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 660 has the same issue. Found out the 660 engine is bad for the valves tighten up. Mine will start up the rest of the day after it warms up, but wow is a pain to start when cold. I plan on adjusting mine in about 3 weeks. A manual is always a big help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok got mine done, started better than it ever has. Will even idle with the choke on when it is cold.. I used to have to stand and hold the throttle till it warmed up but I think those days are over. The exhaust side was a little bit of a pain but not to bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to the local dealer. They adjusted the carb, out a new plug in and said they checked the valves. Brought it home, put it in the shed. Went to go start it yesterday when it was 10 degrees and she won’t start. She finally started after getting up to 20 degrees today. Gonna drop it back off Monday

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Took it to the local dealer. They adjusted the carb, out a new plug in and said they checked the valves. Brought it home, put it in the shed. Went to go start it yesterday when it was 10 degrees and she won’t start. She finally started after getting up to 20 degrees today. Gonna drop it back off Monday
It's your valves bud. I guarantee that dealer did not touch those valves....but I bet they charged you for it.
The only special tools your need (and they're not that special) is dealer gauges, 45 degree angle set. Available at most tool stores or automotive parts tools.

If your mechanically inclined, just do them yourself. It's not really that hard. It's a bit of work, but not really hard.

Get yourself a factory service manual from tradebit.com for less than $20, and get to work.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
For an idea of the work load, here it is.
Remove front rack.
Remove black plastic cover under front rack.
Remove plastic gas tank cover.
Remove gas tank.
Remove white plastic cover under gas tank.
Remove pull cord.
Remove black plastic plug timing hole under the pull cord.
Remove a black plastic timing hole plug at the top of the cylinder.
Rotate crack until timing marks line up in both timing holes.
Remove valve adjustment covers (3 in total).
Do the valve adjustments.
Put everything back together.

Go ride!

That is a general idea of the work load. Get a service manual for the specifics of proper clearances, proper torqued, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
It's your valves bud. I guarantee that dealer did not touch those valves....but I bet they charged you for it.
The only special tools your need (and they're not that special) is dealer gauges, 45 degree angle set. Available at most tool stores or automotive parts tools.

If your mechanically inclined, just do them yourself. It's not really that hard. It's a bit of work, but not really hard.

Get yourself a factory service manual from tradebit.com for less than $20, and get to work.
Just to correct a typo you will need feeler gauges not dealer gauges lol. It's sad that you probably paid for a valve adjustment but didn't get one. An old trick is to mark the valve cover bolt with a paint marker and when you go to pick it up inspect the paint. If the bolt was removed the paint will be disturbed. If not you know they are crooks and shouldn't get anymore of your business.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Just to correct a typo you will need feeler gauges not dealer gauges lol. It's sad that you probably paid for a valve adjustment but didn't get one. An old trick is to mark the valve cover bolt with a paint marker and when you go to pick it up inspect the paint. If the bolt was removed the paint will be disturbed. If not you know they are crooks and shouldn't get anymore of your business.
Damn spell check on my phone....lol....I wish I had of caught that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts