Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing and installing the HL 2" lift kit. Ater reading several forums and hearing of others breaking axles I am a little concerned. I ride aggressive/technical trails and some mud. I ride with friends who have Kawi BF 750's with the HL 2" lift kit and they never break axles. Since we ride the same trails should I not have problems either? I guess my question is how many people are actually breaking axles. I would hate to get stuck miles out in the woods and have to get towed in by a BF, that would be a long ride home and I would never hear the end of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i wouldn't lift my machine unless all i did was mud. too much unnecessary stress and too tippy for trail riding. the 700 has plenty of clearance for trails.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Ride with a little sense and you shouldn't break any axles. With that said though you shouldn't need to lift it to keep up with a BF. You already have the total package in ATV's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have had the 2" HL lift on my grizzly for around 500miles and no problems at all and i ride my bike hard most of the time my bike is in the air or deep in mudd... i have the 27x14x11 XTR"S also all the way around and havent broke anything.... im running the 27's and i have the same ground clearance that guys running 28's and 29's have with no lift.... the trails i ride i need all the ground clearance i can get i hate going around thing when u can go straight tho it....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm thinking of putting a 2" lift on my 660, I was hoping to hear a few more answers from guys that have put a lot of miles on with no problems with a 2" lift, I ride in some pretty remote areas and dont want to be left stranded. Do some brands put less strain on the machine than others?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've done some product reviews on a lot of stuff and here is my honest opinion about the HL lift...

It's junk. All it is, is a stupid bracket lift they charge you out of the butt for. If you have non-aggressive tires you might make it without breaking too many axles if you aren't serious about mud riding. Serious mud riding, you will break axles with that lift....without a doubt. When I had my grizz on 28" laws for over a year I was still on the stock axles. The same day I put the HL 2" lift on I broke a front axle. After that I couldn't make a ride without breaking one in a hole, and I wasn't about to give up mud riding. I finally put all Gorilla's on the bike and even then I would always be breaking axles. Put the big huge lift on and did it the right way and haven't broke one axle in almost 2 years.

Basically...you will be WAY MORE LIKELY to break axles with that lift. With aggressive tires there is no doubt.

IMHO and I do know quite a bit about mud riding...I would suggest leaving your bike how it is. That little bit of GC won't make enough of a difference to matter in the mud holes. Hell, if you have to get pulled out by your buddy that has that crap lift on his bike...o well, let him laugh at you. Afterall, you'll be the one who's laughing when you have to tow him home because he's snapped all his axles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hooch @ Jul 26 2007, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm thinking of putting a 2" lift on my 660, I was hoping to hear a few more answers from guys that have put a lot of miles on with no problems with a 2" lift, I ride in some pretty remote areas and dont want to be left stranded. Do some brands put less strain on the machine than others?[/b]

From my experience the Extreme Products lift puts a lot less strain on the axles than the HL lift. The only downfall is it won't lift the bike as high as the HL lift. I would honestly go with the Extreme lift because it's been proven time and time again to be the more reliable as far as wearing out axle CV's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have had the 2" HL lift on my Grizzly 700 for 800 hard miles... and no problems at all and no broken axles... i wouldnt take it off for any amount of money... i have the 27"X 11"X14" XTR all the way around the bike and with the 2" lift i have the same ground clearence that a bike with 29" tires and i dont have the stress that they have on the axles..... when u are mudding u have to use connon since and dont get retarted... i do agree that HL over charges for the lift but i wont take it off either.... and u can ask anyone that rides with me i hit every hole i see and get stuck in deep mudd all the time and i havent broke any thing.... and i understand that im not running OUTLAWS on my grizzly but your retarted if u think the lift broke the axles and not the tires....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
You may not have any problems with running a lift right now but in will lead to premature wear on the CV joints and other associated areas. Thats just common logic. Anytime you increase the angle it's gonna put more stress on it. But hey this is what we do. Alot of the mods we are doing lead to premie wear. Most of us are just not satisfied with a stock machine. Take for instance all of us who are running 27" tires or above. We'll most likely be replacing bearings a lot sooner than the guy with stock tire size. I my opinion it's well worth it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i do agree with u Onrope about the hole thing... but u dont say that the lift broke the axles if u are running 29 Outlaws on your grizzly the outlaws put more stress on the bike then just puting the lift on the bike

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel Redneck @ Aug 5 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i do agree with u Onrope about the hole thing... but u dont say that the lift broke the axles if u are running 29 Outlaws on your grizzly the outlaws put more stress on the bike then just puting the lift on the bike[/b]
I do agree 100% about the outlaws. Thats one of the reason I like my 29.5 Swamp Lites. They may be less aggressive but they have just about the right amount of traction to give enough before breaking an axle. Some can run the outlaws without a problem. I myself don't have that type of luck or finesse (I am sorta like a bull in a china shop in a mud hole).

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel Redneck @ Aug 4 2007, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have had the 2" HL lift on my Grizzly 700 for 800 hard miles... and no problems at all and no broken axles... i wouldnt take it off for any amount of money... i have the 27"X 11"X14" XTR all the way around the bike and with the 2" lift i have the same ground clearence that a bike with 29" tires and i dont have the stress that they have on the axles..... when u are mudding u have to use connon since and dont get retarted... i do agree that HL over charges for the lift but i wont take it off either.... and u can ask anyone that rides with me i hit every hole i see and get stuck in deep mudd all the time and i havent broke any thing.... and i understand that im not running OUTLAWS on my grizzly but your retarted if u think the lift broke the axles and not the tires....[/b]

I assure you I am crazy, but retarded I am not. The day my bike came home from the dealer it was outfitted with 28" Outlaws and they were on there for almost an entire year before a lift was put on it and I had not broke one axle. The first day that p.o.s. HL lift went on the bike I broke the front left outer CV. From that day foreward I broke axles almost every time I rode. As I said the 28's were on the bike for almost a year before I put the lift and never broke an axle. It wasn't until that lift went on that I broke my first axle. I couldn't honestly tell you how many I broke.

I agree that it has a big part to do with the Outlaws, but the facts stand that the Outlaws were on there for quite some time without breaking anything, and parts didn't start breaking until after the lift went on.

Basically it's like this...it's a combination of both...can you run the lift with less agressive tires and not break axles? Yes. Can you run more aggressive tires without the lift and not break stuff? Yes. Can you run both together without breaking stuff? No. Which is kind of sad because most people that run the lift slap the most aggressive tire they can find on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel Redneck @ Aug 4 2007, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i do agree with u Onrope about the hole thing... but u dont say that the lift broke the axles if u are running 29 Outlaws on your grizzly the outlaws put more stress on the bike then just puting the lift on the bike[/b]

That's where you are wrong. The lift puts more strain on the CV's than the tires do. When tires break CV's or axles it's because the diff. is trying to turn and the tire cannot. The lift increases the angle on the CV's and will make them much more prone to break and wear them out much faster.

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onrope @ Aug 5 2007, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I do agree 100% about the outlaws. Thats one of the reason I like my 29.5 Swamp Lites. They may be less aggressive but they have just about the right amount of traction to give enough before breaking an axle. Some can run the outlaws without a problem. I myself don't have that type of luck or finesse (I am sorta like a bull in a china shop in a mud hole).[/b]

As for how I ride in mud holes I've always believed (and this is true) that if you are riding with a tire like an Outlaw and you are turning them faster than you can count the treads going around, you are turning them too fast. I don't turn them fast at all...slow and steady gives the best traction with super aggressive tires.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MudMonster @ Aug 6 2007, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for how I ride in mud holes I've always believed (and this is true) that if you are riding with a tire like an Outlaw and you are turning them faster than you can count the treads going around, you are turning them too fast. I don't turn them fast at all...slow and steady gives the best traction with super aggressive tires.[/b]
Yep...Just like the tortoise and the hare story. Slow and steady wins the race. A lot of folks I know giver it hell cause they are afraid to get stuck to begin with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onrope @ Aug 6 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yep...Just like the tortoise and the hare story. Slow and steady wins the race. A lot of folks I know giver it hell cause they are afraid to get stuck to begin with.[/b]

Given'er hell will get you stuck more times than not, but I know plenty of people like that...only know two speeds...stopped and wide open.

·
Registered
254 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MudMonster @ Aug 6 2007, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The day my bike came home from the dealer it was outfitted with 28" Outlaws and they were on there for almost an entire year before a lift was put on it and I had not broke one axle.[/b]

i have a question for u.. how many miles did u have on the bike before u put on the lift?? one thing that more than likely what happened is that the outlaws u have on the bike had already damaged the CV joints and when u lifted it, it pulled on the joints and the axles couldnt handle the stress.... but to just come out and say that the HL lift is a P.O.S your worng i do agree that they over charge for what u get but it didnt break the axles either not all alone anyways.... I have 800 miles with the 27x14x11 on all four cornters and the HL lift on the bike and most of the time im either 4ft in the air or in 3ft of mudd and i havent broke anything yet.... keyword yet.... i didnt build my bike to baby it and not have fun with it.... and the XTRs are just as aggresive and hard on the bike as any other tire..

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel Redneck @ Aug 11 2007, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have a question for u.. how many miles did u have on the bike before u put on the lift?? one thing that more than likely what happened is that the outlaws u have on the bike had already damaged the CV joints and when u lifted it, it pulled on the joints and the axles couldnt handle the stress.... but to just come out and say that the HL lift is a P.O.S your worng i do agree that they over charge for what u get but it didnt break the axles either not all alone anyways.... I have 800 miles with the 27x14x11 on all four cornters and the HL lift on the bike and most of the time im either 4ft in the air or in 3ft of mudd and i havent broke anything yet.... keyword yet.... i didnt build my bike to baby it and not have fun with it.... and the XTRs are just as aggresive and hard on the bike as any other tire..[/b]

I don't know how many miles the bike had on it, but I will tell you that I checked all the CV's before adding the lift and there was no slack or catches in any of them at all. They seemed 100% functional.

Anyhow, I'm not going to argue with you because #1, your bike with the lift probably has like 15-15.5" GC, while mine was sitting at 18", #2 because the HL lift is a piece of crap, and #3 because if you think XTRs are hard on a bike...you don't know mud riding as well as you think my friend...XTRs I would classify as an aggressive all-terrain tire and nothing more. They are not a mud tire.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts