Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MudMonster @ Aug 13 2007, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know how many miles the bike had on it, but I will tell you that I checked all the CV's before adding the lift and there was no slack or catches in any of them at all. They seemed 100% functional.

Anyhow, I'm not going to argue with you because #1, your bike with the lift probably has like 15-15.5" GC, while mine was sitting at 18", #2 because the HL lift is a piece of crap, and #3 because if you think XTRs are hard on a bike...you don't know mud riding as well as you think my friend...XTRs I would classify as an aggressive all-terrain tire and nothing more. They are not a mud tire.[/b]
#1 i have the same GC u have using the 2" lift with the 27" xtrs ( 16 GC ) and i dont have 29.5 tires on the bike dont need them to go though the same mud U do with my none aggressive tires on my bike!!!!! #2 HL isnt a P.O.S.... #3 the Outlaws r only good from shaking the crap out of your bike!! There know better than any other tire on the market sorry u think so....

·
Registered
37 Posts
well i guess i will have to find out for myself, I just ordered my HL kit for my 700. I think im just gonna keep my 27 mud lites for now, maybe get some 30s this winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like some of you guys that are having a bad experience with the 2" lift are running the 660 Griz and not the 700. The 700 has a redesigned a-arm system and seems to have stronger axles. Is it possible that the 700 will hold up to the lift better that than the 660 does?? I am asking this because I am thinking about buying the 2" lift but I don't want to start replacing axles on a weekly bases.

·
Registered
254 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1995kingquad @ Aug 15 2007, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It sounds like some of you guys that are having a bad experience with the 2" lift are running the 660 Griz and not the 700. The 700 has a redesigned a-arm system and seems to have stronger axles. Is it possible that the 700 will hold up to the lift better that than the 660 does?? I am asking this because I am thinking about buying the 2" lift but I don't want to start replacing axles on a weekly bases.
[/b]
I have 800 miles on my grizzly 700 with the HL lift 2" and the 27" xtrs and no problems at all

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel Redneck @ Aug 15 2007, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
#1 i have the same GC u have using the 2" lift with the 27" xtrs ( 17.5 to 18 GC ) and i dont have 29.5 tires on the bike dont need them to go though the same mud U do with my none aggressive tires on my bike!!!!! #2 HL isnt a P.O.S.... #3 the Outlaws r only good from shaking the crap out of your bike!! There know better than any other tire on the market sorry u think so....[/b]

On #1 I would have to see a picture with a tape mesure to prove it. Also if you think you can go through the mud I go through then come on...You're extremely welcome to come on down and ride on my private property, it's better than any ATV park I've been too and it's got holes that will make you cry.

On #2 I'll once again have to agree to disagree...My opinion is that it's a p.o.s. lift, and I believe I'm entitled to that opinion, just like I'm entitled to the opinion that their lift springs are the biggest waste of money on the ATV market.

On #3 the Outlaws are good for going through mud...if you think your XTR's will bring you where my Outlaws will....I want some of the stuff you're smoking.

Maybe we should take this on over to the "Challenge" section. I'm more than willing to talk the talk and walk the walk...if there's one thing I know, it's mud riding.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
You boys bring your big machines up here to West Virginia where we got steep hills to climb and rocky, nasty situations just to get to the mud holes. Then we will see who can really walk the walk and talk the talk.

Sorry boys had to poke some fun at you flatlanders!

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onrope @ Aug 16 2007, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You boys bring your big machines up here to West Virginia where we got steep hills to climb and rocky, nasty situations just to get to the mud holes. Then we will see who can really walk the walk and talk the talk.

Sorry boys had to poke some fun at you flatlanders![/b]

What's a hill?

S

·
0 Posts
as much as i disagree with mud monster on the cause of his breaking axels, his last statement is 100percent true, i ran xtr's for a short while and they do not put much stress on the bike at all. especially in the mud, while on the other hand even in pure mud(no roots or other objects) a true agressive mud tire will put a significant amout of stress on components above and beyond what they where really designed to see.

i wouldnt say the hl lift is crap but it is double the price they should charge. and yes it will put you in a situation where you ARE more prone to break axels. will you start breaking them every ride? probably not, i ride with 2 friends who have a 2in lift on big bears.(yes i know not a grizz but the principal remains the same) and it did change the angel the half shafts rested, rather steep really. and over the last 8months or so there has been 3 axels broken btween them, and one was just stupidity. one is running 27in laws and the other 28's.

i myself just broke a joint today, first one on the grizz. and ive been runnin a non-lifted 700 on 29.5's since november. so in conclusion imho the lift WILL accelerate ware and put you at more risk to break axels. but first and foremost riding style followed by tires play a larger role than a 2in hl lift.

andy

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with u andy i have 850 miles on my grizzly with the lift the i havent broke any axles.... i think i mite soon tho i just put 30" mud lites and i can tell a large diff. in power on my grizzly so i know i have a lot more stress on my axles..... i have to get a clutch kit for sure......

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rebel Redneck @ Sep 6 2007, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I AGREE WITH U 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

U say u only Ride 10 miles on an all day mud ride?? well me and all my buddys ride about 20 to 25 miles each day we mud ride becuz we want to hit every mud hole we can we dont sit at one hole and play for 5 hours and the end of the day u cant even tell we are white boys or what kind of bike we are riding..... and im sorry u think a trail mudd bike doesnt have the same as a mud bike your worng do the math if u say u dont ride over 30mph ok great last month me and scott road 250 miles in 2 day avg aroung 40 mph and then the next weekend we went mudding...... if u really think.. u will see that a bike that does both has a harder life than one that does just one thing all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at my older post and u will see what kind of miles i put on my grizzly.....[/b]

The reason we make under 10 miles in a day is because we don't ride places that you have to drive several miles between each hole. As on my place it's just hole after hole. You don't stop mud riding. When we ride the lake bottoms you take the bike off the trailer in the mud and you never get out of it. When I say my machine is a mud bike, it's because it's all it's ever hit.

If you think a bike that rides trails and hits the occassional mud holes knows the life ole Monster Grizz has had...I would say you don't know me or Monster Grizz good lol. That bike has probably been sank more times than every other grizz on this forum combined. It's been left overnight many times because there was nothing that could pull it out. It's been yanked out by other bikes, UTV's, tractors, trucks, bulldozers, and even a trackhoe.

I have a buddy that rides with me from time to time. He goes around the holes though because he doesn't like playing in the mud. His grizz has over 5,000 miles and he'll be the first to tell you that he hasn't put near the amount of abuse on his bike that I have on mine. If something can be broke on the grizz, I assure you I have broke it.

A few things that I've had to replace on mine:
Bearings multiple times
7 brake jobs to date
New starter
Rear Diff. twice
Well over 20 CV's
4 "rung out" gorilla shafts
4 complete sets of shocks
CVT cover cracked twice
New carb.
Broke multiple ball bearings
Etc., etc., etc.

Overall I'd say I've been pretty "easy" on my bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Helrazr @ Sep 6 2007, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love the way your wheeler looks. It's awesome. Keep at it.[/b]
THANKS

And ive had 3 brake jod on my grizzly in less than 6 months becuz of mud eating my pads

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey thanks guys for all the info and entertainment ha ...

hey mudmonster you mention the xtreme products lift briefly. What makes them better? different? I too was lookin at the HL 2" lift but also checked out the XP lift.
So why do you suggest the XP vs the HL?!!?
thanks hopefully you can help me out with my purchase thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow...this thing got heated kinda quick hu?!lol. So much for the bike being an all terrane vehicle! Sounds like they just want a mud terrane vehicle! It's all good though, I put mine through hell too. Just recovered from a drowning and got my twin air filter in the mail today!! Getting ready for this weekend!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just curious:
Does anyone know if the 2" hl from a 660 will fit on the 700?
I still have the complete front & rear set from my wrecked 660 & wouldn't mind putting it on the 700
Thanx in advance ... Don

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
How about the xtreme lift, heard its better than hl lift.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I dont have grizz lift experience. But I do have KQ lift experience. And I had the XPATV 3" on my KQ. I rode for a year with just my 27" 589s, no issues. Put the 3" lift on, loved it. Made it about 5 rides, and bang. Axle one down. I then went through all 4 outer joints in 5 or 6 rides. Went gorilla, and all was good. But I wouldnt put any BS lift on the bike, like XPATV, HL, Or Kimpex. Just wont do it. Not without axles. And like stated before. You already got 2" of GC on a brute, so they have to go 4" bigger on tires to even up to you. So keep that in mind. You dont need a lift. If you want one. order the 4" SLC lift, and make brackets to drop it down an inch for stability. THen you get 4 g-team axles, and shouldnt have to worry

21 - 40 of 43 Posts