Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in at my dealer today to have a chat and see if anything new is coming for the Grizzly, the dealer told me that there was going to be some sort of a release in regards to the Grizz and some sort of a Update kit for the 708 engine from Yamaha, wonder what this could be, anyone hear of this update kit.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I haven't heard about this but I'm interested to find out. Subscribed!

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am interested to, wondering if its a update to the 708 to prevent the smoking issue or just the owners that are having issues or both.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was chatting to my dealer and his mechanic a few months back and they said that they had to recall some earlier 708's to do a modification to the engine. May be that.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe, the 16 models owners may get a service recall.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
And that 22cc’s along with twin cam OHV head does definitely give it more go, love my 708 although I do still love tearing up the grass with my 2010 Grizzly se

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe, the 16 models owners may get a service recall.
I'm the owner of a 2018 Kodiak 708, which i purchased prior to learning of the poor reputation the 708 has. My stomach gets uneasy thinking about it...you'll have to excuse me for a second...but my point is this...I'm surprised when I consistently see comments on here mentioning that the 2016s were the problem childs. However, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the issues stop there. What makes people think that the valve guide/smoking/using oil, stops at the earlier models and doesn't extend to 2017 and 2018? I'm led to believe the later 708s are susceptible to the same issues (not all issues of course, as I'm aware of the specific 2016-only problem that was fixed). I'm speaking about premature wear/oil consumption. No heat here, just honestly want to pick your brains! Mainly for my own peace of mind...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm the owner of a 2018 Kodiak 708, which i purchased prior to learning of the poor reputation the 708 has. My stomach gets uneasy thinking about it...you'll have to excuse me for a second...but my point is this...I'm surprised when I consistently see comments on here mentioning that the 2016s were the problem childs. However, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the issues stop there. What makes people think that the valve guide/smoking/using oil, stops at the earlier models and doesn't extend to 2017 and 2018? I'm led to believe the later 708s are susceptible to the same issues (not all issues of course, as I'm aware of the specific 2016-only problem that was fixed). I'm speaking about premature wear/oil consumption. No heat here, just honestly want to pick your brains! Mainly for my own peace of mind...
Stop worrying and enjoy your beautiful machine! Seriously, stop thinking about what hasn't even happened. Realisticly your 2018 is probably the best year of the 708 Generation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stop worrying and enjoy your beautiful machine! Seriously, stop thinking about what hasn't even happened. Realisticly your 2018 is probably the best year of the 708 Generation.
thank you, i appreciate the positivity! She will get plenty of using in the coming years, just wanted to comment on an observation I've had over the countless posts I've read. But in response to the OP, that's very interesting news, keep us updated if you can! Love my machine as is

·
Registered
132 Posts
thank you, i appreciate the positivity! She will get plenty of using in the coming years, just wanted to comment on an observation I've had over the countless posts I've read. But in response to the OP, that's very interesting news, keep us updated if you can! Love my machine as is

Yeah nothing to worry about, Vincent is right, the 2016 708 had issues and YAMAHA fixed those, if it was still an issue in 17 and 18 then YAMAHA would still be fixing them, I have a 17 used on farm and it gets a fair workout and have had no issues, don’t worry enjoy your machine

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it
This is actually true. It's already documented. All that is left now before releasing the kit is paperwork.

This kit will be released as a service bulletin. It will replace the piston and cylinder and few more parts, but I can't remember what. Too lazy to look again too.
It will be valid for 5 years from date of manufacture of the machine, which means the 2016 guys will have 2 years coverage as of right now. The service bulletin will only be completed with the new parts if you have a burning oil issue and you bring it into the dealer. The dealer will first confirm the issue of the oil burning is not from a sinking, lack of maintenance or abuse, etc.
If all ok, the service bulletin will be completed and you'll basically end up with a complete new top end on your engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 708s one was fixed cause it was using alot of oil the other one just started smoking on start up, but it has always used a little oil, it's out of warranty but I'm going to have it checked out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts