Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 and my dad has a 2016 Kodiak 700. He start having issues with his machine smoking with around 400 miles on the machine and the dealer determined that it was due to the inadequate design of the air filter and this was brought on by the fact that he usually follows me on rides. Well, the dealer rebuilt his motor under warranty and all seems to be well. I just moved my machine today and the thing was smoking like crazy and wouldn’t stop smoking. I haven’t had machine in much dust and am wondering if smoking/oil consumption is just a fact of life with the 708. I forgot to mention that my machine only has around 900 miles on it and we both maintain our Kodiaks meticulously. I have also seen that Yamaha switched back to their 686 from the 708. Does anyone have any info on going back and if we are in for a lot of trouble with our Kodiaks? Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Do some research. Lots on information out there on the 708 smoking. Google will yield lots of results, just don't let it scare you too much.

Simply put, the 708 is a known oil burner. Yamaha knows it. They have released a service bulletin for oil burning with a warranty for several years. They are replacing cylinder/piston/rings on all affected models free of charge with updated parts that cures the problem.

Your best to get this service bulletin information, then contact your local dealer.

Reactions: Mccdan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there! I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 and my dad has a 2016 Kodiak 700. He start having issues with his machine smoking with around 400 miles on the machine and the dealer determined that it was due to the inadequate design of the air filter and this was brought on by the fact that he usually follows me on rides. Well, the dealer rebuilt his motor under warranty and all seems to be well. I just moved my machine today and the thing was smoking like crazy and wouldn’t stop smoking. I haven’t had machine in much dust and am wondering if smoking/oil consumption is just a fact of life with the 708. I forgot to mention that my machine only has around 900 miles on it and we both maintain our Kodiaks meticulously. I have also seen that Yamaha switched back to their 686 from the 708. Does anyone have any info on going back and if we are in for a lot of trouble with our Kodiaks? Thanks ahead.
Thanks for the information! I will be getting in touch with my dealer and looking into the bulletin.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My ‘16 Grizzly with the 708 has about 900 miles on it as well and it’s started burniing oil in the last 6 months or so. Sometimes it smokes pretty impressively. I maintain it pretty well too. Just did an oil change, set oil at full and boy did it smoke. I suspect now that it’s probably spit out a cup or so is why it’s not smoking as badly at the moment

if you come across the service bulletin number and or a link to it, I’d love to see it posted. I’ve seen it alluded to here on GC several times, but have never seen the bulletin number or link posted.

I’ve read the cause of the oil burning is a casting irregularity in the cylinder wall of the jug of this Subaru 708 engine.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
662 Posts
Here a interesting fact that I was not aware of... Everyone knows that the Grizzly and Kodiak had a 708cc motor from 2016 -2018; but did you know that during these 3 years the Yamaha Viking continued to have the 686cc motor? The viking has always had the 686. The Wolverine however went from the 686 to the 708 during these years just like the Grizzly & Kodiak, (except for the X4 which had the new 850cc motor). Makes you wonder how they were able to contiue with 686 for the Viking but nothing else, from the rumors of why they swithched to the 708. FYI, I got this information directly off of Yamaha's website doing Model History searchs.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,329 Posts
Don't forget though that the 16+ Grizzly has a new frame from the previous years. Seems likely that the 07-15 Grizzly frame needed an update and also new design to fit a slightly bigger engine (assumption because of the 708cc). That newer frame was probably designed to be a bit more versatile with engines moving forward, again an assumption.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Here a interesting fact that I was not aware of... Everyone knows that the Grizzly and Kodiak had a 708cc motor from 2016 -2018; but did you know that during these 3 years the Yamaha Viking continued to have the 686cc motor? The viking has always had the 686. The Wolverine however went from the 686 to the 708 during these years just like the Grizzly & Kodiak, (except for the X4 which had the new 850cc motor). Makes you wonder how they were able to contiue with 686 for the Viking but nothing else, from the rumors of why they swithched to the 708. FYI, I got this information directly off of Yamaha's website doing Model History searchs.
Yup already knew all this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have had my Kodiak in the shop all summer waiting on the backordered parts (due to Covid) for a complete rebuild. The dealer mechanic tore into my engine and informed me that my valves and top end were thrashed. Since my machine has been in the shop my dad let me take his Kodiak, which has already been rebuilt, and checked his oil pre-ride and found that it has started burning again. Needless to say I am frazzled because of the re-occurrence of the severe oil burning. I am wondering if it is worth selling our machines and going with a 686 or trading them in. I really do love the machines overall and am super grateful to our dealership for taking such great care of us. They are a dream to ride but the oil burning is a big concern to us given that the atvs cost us so much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have wondered the exact same thing. The fact that Yamaha only stayed with the 708 for 3 years is a red flag to me, knowing that Yamaha tends to keep their motors and designs for a long time. They surely knew something that they aren't sharing.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I have wondered the exact same thing. The fact that Yamaha only stayed with the 708 for 3 years is a red flag to me, knowing that Yamaha tends to keep their motors and designs for a long time. They surely knew something that they aren't sharing.
Agreed!!!

Sorry these engines are causing so much troubles and frustration to you and your family....

Really sucks to hear....

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Sorry to hear about the smoking 708 engines that you guy's have, at least Yamaha is standing behind the engine's and fixing them at no charge if your serial number is on the service bulletin, I have the 16 708 with 5600kms on her now with no smoking issues and has been a reliable atv, I will note that my 708 will use a ounce or so every 6-700 kms which I would consider normal more noticeable when used in the summer heat, cooler temps not as much, I will be trading up in a year or so, the 686 has proved over the years to be most reliable.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sorry to hear about the smoking 708 engines that you guy's have, at least Yamaha is standing behind the engine's and fixing them at no charge if your serial number is on the service bulletin, I have the 16 708 with 5600kms on her now with no smoking issues and has been a reliable atv, I will note that my 708 will use a ounce or so every 6-700 kms which I would consider normal more noticeable when used in the summer heat, cooler temps not as much, I will be trading up in a year or so, the 686 has proved over the years to be most reliable.
Why would you trade up? If your 16 has proven to be rock solid, I don't think you'll gain much if any improvements with the newer models. Aspecially considering you only have 5500 kms. I consider that low mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
My thoughts are trade in value, warranty, ect, by next year it will be in the 6000km plus range and I should get a good price for it on a trade in, all of my accessories can pretty much be used on a 21 except for the tuner, then the clock will be back to zero again.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
My thoughts are trade in value, warranty, ect, by next year it will be in the 6000km plus range and I should get a good price for it on a trade in, all of my accessories can pretty much be used on a 21 except for the tuner, then the clock will be back to zero again.
You can still use your tuner. Eric will just reflash the new maps to it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry to hear about a smoking issue after rebuild. That really makes me wonder if they are using any better parts on the rebuild than they did when new?? From watching and searching you are not the only one to have that problem after a rebuild. If it happens to me I would consider using aftermarket parts (piston & rings ), have a machine shop redo the head, And have the cylinder replated. Who knows what the actual problem is. I have heard Nicasal plating, Piston rings, and valve guides/seal. It could be one or a combination of all of them. Either way its not good. Like said above all you parts can be swapped over to a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
You can still use your tuner. Eric will just reflash the new maps to it.
Yes I heard that, not sure what he charges for the reflash, plus the shipping back to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3 of the 2016-2018 units as well as a 2019. So far we have approx 3000 km on all 3 and have no visual oil issues. We like to ride them like motocrossers on the faster trails so we are not easy on them. We all agree that that the 2016/17 and 18 seem to have better overall performance than the 2019 686 motor. So we are very happy with them. I dont think the oil issue is nearly as prevalent as it is made out to be on the web.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran into someone who had a '16 Grizzly last year on a ride and he had similar problems. Told me he had the bike in the shop multiple times for all sorts of engine problems. When I said I didn't have that problem with mine ('07), he told me that when the tsunami hit Japan it hit Yamaha's engine factory and they were using Subaru engines for '16 to '18? and that's why they were 708cc. Not 100% sure if this is true but something you might want to look into.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
I ran into someone who had a '16 Grizzly last year on a ride and he had similar problems. Told me he had the bike in the shop multiple times for all sorts of engine problems. When I said I didn't have that problem with mine ('07), he told me that when the tsunami hit Japan it hit Yamaha's engine factory and they were using Subaru engines for '16 to '18? and that's why they were 708cc. Not 100% sure if this is true but something you might want to look into.
Yes that is correct, they subcontracted engine building to Subaru while thier factory was being repaired. And during this time they went ahead and purchased Subaru small engine division, so it's now Yamaha owned.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts