Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I have had my Kodiak in the shop all summer waiting on the backordered parts (due to Covid) for a complete rebuild. The dealer mechanic tore into my engine and informed me that my valves and top end were thrashed. Since my machine has been in the shop my dad let me take his Kodiak, which has already been rebuilt, and checked his oil pre-ride and found that it has started burning again. Needless to say I am frazzled because of the re-occurrence of the severe oil burning. I am wondering if it is worth selling our machines and going with a 686 or trading them in. I really do love the machines overall and am super grateful to our dealership for taking such great care of us. They are a dream to ride but the oil burning is a big concern to us given that the atvs cost us so much.
I here ya, i just bought a 2017 and its been one thing after the other. Im waiting now for the parts for the rebuil kit and am seriously contemplating selling for something else. The bike i had before this was a 92 big bear and that thing is bullet and is still running. I went with another yamaha for reliabilty thinking this bike would last me for years to come but now having alot of doubts.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I here ya, i just bought a 2017 and its been one thing after the other. Im waiting now for the parts for the rebuil kit and am seriously contemplating selling for something else. The bike i had before this was a 92 big bear and that thing is bullet and is still running. I went with another yamaha for reliabilty thinking this bike would last me for years to come but now having alot of doubts.
I must have bought a good one as the one problem I have had was the fuel pump regulator rubber came apart from some fuel that was used before I bought it with 320 miles or so on it. Other than a fuel pump mine has been rock solid. If I was to sell mine I would go to a 19 + with the 686 in it though.

Reactions: Northern Grizz

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
I must have bought a good one as the one problem I have had was the fuel pump regulator rubber came apart from some fuel that was used before I bought it with 320 miles or so on it. Other than a fuel pump mine has been rock solid. If I was to sell mine I would go to a 19 + with the 686 in it though.
You're not alone, my 2018 Kodiak has been flawless for the most part. Only issue was I blew the season the master cylinder for front brakes. Had mud, rocks and sticks packed around my calipers and they couldn't move, heading home doing 80kph+ on a paved road, a guy backed his car out of his driveway in front of me. I let off throttle and squeezed both front and rear brakes for all I was worth.
Front lever went soft, but thankfully the oil bated rear brakes still worked and got me slowed down enough to hit dirt shoulder and get around the guy. If the kodiak has disk rears, they probably would have been packed too and I wouldn't be here.
Checked my lines they were good, but my master leaks down. Under $20 for a rebuild kit, so not bad.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
My ‘13 Polaris SP 550 EPS has a Robin Subaru/Fuji Industries motor in it. It has been reliable…need to knock on wood. I didn’t think much about when I got it until I saw the Subaru oil filter. I do need to get around to doing a valve adjustment.

Is the 708 considered a Robin Subaru design?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts