·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you heaed about it ?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Love it... I NEED a 2019 850 R-Spec Grizzly...
Please please pleas Yamaha.... Build it for us.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

Reactions: Muddobber600

·
Registered
70 Posts
It should of been done already...Years ago I worked for a engineering company and we had prints of the four stroke snowmobiles six years before they were
released, Yes a 850 for the Grizzly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OMG I wish! I will buy the very first one.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I still wonder what Yamaha's marketing department knows that I don't....and I do realize they do indeed know much more than me.

Almost everywhere you look people are asking for a twin cylinder Grizzly. Go to a Polaris, Can Am, Kawasaki forums and you find posts of people stating that if Yamaha made a twin Grizzly, they'd be first in line to buy one. Whether they would actually do this is another thing, but you never know until the situation arises.

You also read posts and threads on Yamaha forums where people left because they wanted a twin cylinder/more powerful Grizzly (of course you can read of people jumping ship from other manufacturers all the time, mainly due to unreliability or dealer issues). This argument might not hold much water though.

In 1998 when Yamaha produced the 600 Grizzly, which was the largest engine ever offered at that time and started the whole big bore market, Yamaha actually sold out of Grizzly's that year.....yes sold out. That was a feat almost unheard of in the ATV market. This is proof of some thing.

All of what I listed above, in my opinion, would lead me to building a more powerful, twin cylinder Grizzly. What does the Yamaha marketing department know that I don't? Does everything we see, hear and read on the forums just add up to a very small percentage of what the market actually wants? Or is there some political reason? Or is it because the Grizzly is still the best selling big bore, so don't mess with a formula that works? Is the high power, 850-1000cc market just too small (and overcrowded right now), to bother investing in building a competitive model?

Food for thought....hmmmm

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Love it... I NEED a 2019 850 R-Spec Grizzly...
Please please pleas Yamaha.... Build it for us.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.
I wonder if the 2019 X4 will be an R-Spec as well. May have to wait another year............... Dunno how they would handle putting the better shocks on the rear with the self leveling system, though.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I still wonder what Yamaha's marketing department knows that I don't....and I do realize they do indeed know much more than me.

Almost everywhere you look people are asking for a twin cylinder Grizzly. Go to a Polaris, Can Am, Kawasaki forums and you find posts of people stating that if Yamaha made a twin Grizzly, they'd be first in line to buy one. Whether they would actually do this is another thing, but you never know until the situation arises.

You also read posts and threads on Yamaha forums where people left because they wanted a twin cylinder/more powerful Grizzly (of course you can read of people jumping ship from other manufacturers all the time, mainly due to unreliability or dealer issues). This argument might not hold much water though.

In 1998 when Yamaha produced the 600 Grizzly, which was the largest engine ever offered at that time and started the whole big bore market, Yamaha actually sold out of Grizzly's that year.....yes sold out. That was a feat almost unheard of in the ATV market. This is proof of some thing.

All of what I listed above, in my opinion, would lead me to building a more powerful, twin cylinder Grizzly. What does the Yamaha marketing department know that I don't? Does everything we see, hear and read on the forums just add up to a very small percentage of what the market actually wants? Or is there some political reason? Or is it because the Grizzly is still the best selling big bore, so don't mess with a formula that works? Is the high power, 850-1000cc market just too small (and overcrowded right now), to bother investing in building a competitive model?

Food for thought....hmmmm
I would say Yamaha would have to totally redesigned the Grizz to host the new 850 from the ground up like they did to the new wolverine, I did here rumors of Yamaha discontinuing the 708, Yamaha may have a new designed engine in mind just for the grizz that is a twin that fits into the 16 redesigned frame lurking in the shadows for 2019-20.

Reactions: Grizzly63

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would say Yamaha would have to totally redesigned the Grizz to host the new 850 from the ground up like they did to the new wolverine, I did here rumors of Yamaha discontinuing the 708, Yamaha may have a new designed engine in mind just for the grizz that is a twin that fits into the 16 redesigned frame lurking in the shadows for 2019-20.
That's a shame because the 708 is only 3 years old and it's an awesome motor!

But I'm thinking that the new Kodiak 450 give hints as to their plan. Probably the Kodiak will be available in 450 and 700 variants, while the Gizzly will eventually be available only with the 850 twin.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I wonder if the 2019 X4 will be an R-Spec as well. May have to wait another year............... Dunno how they would handle putting the better shocks on the rear with the self leveling system, though.
For you okbear, they will come optional with factory installed mystical ELKAs0:).
No bump in the rump, ha.

Reactions: wgc and okbear

·
Registered
8 Posts
But I'm thinking that the new Kodiak 450 give hints as to their plan. Probably the Kodiak will be available in 450 and 700 variants, while the Gizzly will eventually be available only with the 850 twin.
That's exactly my thoughts. The 700 is too new and is a great engine. having a 450, 700 and 850 would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What about a sport ute 850 with a manual transmission put into a grizz chassis with longer travel suspension and elkas for okbear! LOL! Call it a banshee. Put it in competition with the scrambler and renegade?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would be nice of course, but wouldn't the value of all the other Grizzlies go way down? Just bought one today, would suck if it were "obsolete" within a year or two lol

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I don't think we will see much change. Right now, sxs are outselling quads 2 to 1. Yamaha has been putting all the R&D funding into sxs machines in the last 5 years. All other brands have been doing the same. There have been minimal changes to quads in the last 5 years. The SXS boom has taken over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think we will see much change. Right now, sxs are outselling quads 2 to 1. Yamaha has been putting all the R&D funding into sxs machines in the last 5 years. All other brands have been doing the same. There have been minimal changes to quads in the last 5 years. The SXS boom has taken over.
And that's a damn shame because to me, "riding" quads are so much more fun than "driving" SxS's. And if I'm bringing a girl along, I'd rather have her holding on around my waist, with her boobies squished into my back, then sitting next to me like in a car.

If anything, a 2UP Grizz would be the cat's meow.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
And that's a damn shame because to me, "riding" quads are so much more fun than "driving" SxS's. And if I'm bringing a girl along, I'd rather have her holding on around my waist, with her boobies squished into my back, then sitting next to me like in a car.

If anything, a 2UP Grizz would be the cat's meow.
Word

For 2016 & 2018, Yammie made the biggest changes to their ATV's that they had in many years. Not the changes a lot of people asked for (like a big twin), but R&D funds nonetheless. I for one am glad to see an EFI 450. IMO the biggest pure ENTHUSIASTS probably prefer the most HP available, but I'd love to see the sales figures and the impact the average buyers have on the qty of mid-sized ATV's have on the market. I know dang well Yammie looks at those numbers closely and cares more about profitability than appeasing the enthusiast minority. Which is a bummer for most guys on this forum.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't forsee the 850 twin motor in an ATV unless they do some drastic engineering to get that motor in a chassis, it would be so wide you would almost have to put it sideways like a Polaris which is a terrible design IMO.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I don't forsee the 850 twin motor in an ATV unless they do some drastic engineering to get that motor in a chassis, it would be so wide you would almost have to put it sideways like a Polaris which is a terrible design IMO.
Can you elaborate on why you think a sideways mounted engine is a bad design?
It has fewer moving parts and less frictional losses due to not having middle drive gears (transfer cases/gears) and allows the ATV frame to be much narrower. It is also proven to save weight because of the lack of the middle gear transfer case. The design is also proven extremely reliable.
Honda was the first to do it in 1995 on the Foreman 400, and now almost all Honda utility ATV's are designed this way. Polaris started using it on the XP series of ATV's.

I think it is a superior design. It makes the engine package smaller, lighter weight, more reliable and more power to the wheels due to less friction losses.

I really do want to hear your thoughts on it. I look at it one way, but that may not be the right way.

Reactions: Madkawi750
1 - 20 of 65 Posts