Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I need some advice.
When I pull the rope I can measure 1V AC just before the CdI unit. After the CDI unit and before the coil I measure 0.05 V AC and same thing after the coil. No spark at all. No spark no fire.

So , right before I change the CDI, are this measurement normal. I mean 1V AC. I probably get more if I was more muscled.

Then, is there a normal voltage that I should measure on both sides ?

Cranck is brand new and well plugged.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one yes. But too much information on it. I was more looking for suggestions and others experiences to help me out

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dors anyone know an online store To find s CDI for this 87 bigbear?

1YW-85540-20-00

only one on Ebay for 350$.
not all fit. But with part number there's not a lot of options.

thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys. I found to models identical.
Same connectors, same wiring colors.
1987 Yamaha warrior on ebay is 100$ less than the 1987 bigbear.

Bigbear part: 1YW-85540-20-00
Warrior: 1UY-85540-20-00

It's a lot of money with shipping both of them, but the warrior one looks exactly the same fitting.

Could it work for sure.
I'm trying to save money. Not waste.
Please help.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
Probably will fit. The part numbers are identical except for the first 3 letters and if I’m not mistaken the letters only represent the model it goes on. So if I’m right it should work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys. I need some advice.
When I pull the rope I can measure 1V AC just before the CdI unit. After the CDI unit and before the coil I measure 0.05 V AC and same thing after the coil. No spark at all. No spark no fire.

So , right before I change the CDI, are this measurement normal. I mean 1V AC. I probably get more if I was more muscled.

Then, is there a normal voltage that I should measure on both sides ?

Cranck is brand new and well plugged.

Thanks.
Without special equipment that only a very few have there is no way to test a CDI. You are left with testing all the other components. Pickup coils should be 200 Ω and the exciter should be 300 Ω. Ignition switch is a big problem with this model as there is no place to get one except the dealer. That is to say all the hundreds of them that people say will fit, will NOT work. Ignition coil should have very low primary like 0.4 Ω and secondary of a few thousand. If all this is correct and no spark you need a new CDI. And if you still have the original from 1987 it is very likely it is bad. Fortunately they are all available, from cdiparts.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a quad electrician watching it now.
Buy if I need one, i had enough time to see that yours is on Ebay for outside US.
I'm spending 120$CAD to make sure I really have to spend 400 on a new cdi

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I'm updating you guys on what's happening now. So the quad mechanic diagnose the CDI has faulty. He said he had bypassed the harness and went from the stator direct to the CDI. He tested ohms on the stator two. Still no spark. I ordered on Ebay a new model that seems to replace this discontinued model from yamaha, 1987.

The seller on ebay said that sometimes a bad ignition fools some pros. He explained to me how to bypass it. But I can't test it cause I don't have it with me. Unfortunately I couldn't reach the mechanic before monday.
Cdi is very expensive. I'll cross fingers that's the real problem.

Detail: i bought this atv 1 month ago with no keys and wouldn't start with previous owner.
I bought an assembly on amazon that seemed to at least turn the lights on and even make the starter relay work. I guess it's fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But I need an opinion from you guys. If you can help .
I had made a key from original ignition. The mechanic installed the new CDI, bypassed every wire and said still no fire at spark. I give him a new coil and spark too.

He said he checked the resistance on stator too and also its position.

I dont know if I can trust this guy anymore....

Kinda bother me spending 300 on a CDI has he diagnosed and still no spark. No advancing, no nothing.

Also stator/rope is a new one, but not original he said. But fitted well , he also said.

Opinions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts