Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry in advance for this not being in the right section. There is no forum for the Moto's, and this is the best Yamaha forum I could find. I bought this '87 Moto 350 for peanuts basically. It's in great condition with not a lot of miles but I'm having a problem with it popping out of gear. The sub transmission has rev/low/hi on this machine. Sometimes when I'm riding I'll get what I think is referred to as a rear end buck and then it will pop out of gear and slip in between what I think is low and hi and it just sits there clicking. I can then put it in reverse and then back into high and it seems to be fine but this is happening frequently. It actually seems to be safer to put it into reverse and then shift to low and put it in first and then shift up to high. It seems to run fine I think in low gear. I read a lot of different information and I just wanted some advice on here before I take the thing apart. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I haven't really worked on atv's much. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Your shifter linkage might be pit of adjustment. It's a cable that goes to the right side of the engine. Adust it to give a better engagement in high range. That might fix it.
Do not adjust too much though as you'll then have problems going into reverse.

Reactions: oliveruo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your shifter linkage might be pit of adjustment. It's a cable that goes to the right side of the engine. Adust it to give a better engagement in high range. That might fix it.
Do not adjust too much though as you'll then have problems going into reverse.
It doesn't have the linkage bar like the newer kodiaks/big bear/grizzlys it's got like a very stiff cable. I think it may be an internal problem I'm gonna take a video and upload it. EDIT: That's funny I can't really get it to do it right now. Anyway when I started it up and move it into high sometimes it won't engage either and will just click. If I play with it I can get it to engage. It just seems like it's gotta be terrible for me to be in like 3rd gear doing 15 mph and it just slipping out of gear. I'm afraid something will get broken. I could really use some help here, my girlfriend already thinks I'm a dolt for buying this in the first place.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I know it's a cable. That's what I stated above. The cable runs the shifter on the left fender to the right side of the engine, near the rear of it. It hooks up a lever at that point. That cable may not be adjusted correctly, and this will cause it to come out of gear.
Additionally, I have seen some of those cables get sticky, and this can cause gear shifting issues as well.

Reactions: oliveruo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah sorry I didn'y realize you had said that. Anyways, weirdest thing I just sprayed some wd-40 on that lever where it goes into the case and it hasn't done it since (knock on wood). You saying sometimes they can be sticky gave me the idea. I don't know how sticky it was or just needed to be lubed I looked at it before and it looked fine. Though he did tell me it sat for two years. Thanks a lot Dezz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts