Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one riding with 9" BH og's on the rear of ther16/17 Grizzly (26") I have a concern with overall width if I go to the 26x12's

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
What do you want to know?
Yes you run them in the rear if you like. But you'll get better traction and wear out of a 12" wide rear tire.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Narrow rear tires generally make the backend loose, or I like to say "squirly".
You'll find it will spin easier and power slide easier. You will also sink quicker and deeper in soft terrain like mud.

Overall, wide rear tires work better than narrow. But this does not mean you can't install narrow tires. It's just something you get used to. Once you install the tires, you'll probably be used to them before the first tank of gas is empty.

BUT...unless you really need to have your bike as narrow as possible or have a limit on width, get the wide rear tires. You'll get better overall performance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dez, thanks for the reply. I totally agree and understand what your saying, and would prefer to go with a 12". But.... I need to stay as narrow as possible and still be "useable" to fit 2 of them side by side inside my trailer. Plastic already rubs and DW doesn't appreciate that on her new white Grizz

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Dez, thanks for the reply. I totally agree and understand what your saying, and would prefer to go with a 12". But.... I need to stay as narrow as possible and still be "useable" to fit 2 of them side by side inside my trailer. Plastic already rubs and DW doesn't appreciate that on her new white Grizz
If plastics are already rubbing, maybe it's time for a new trailer. Then you can get the wider tires! Tell DW I said so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If plastics are already rubbing, maybe it's time for a new trailer. Then you can get the wider tires! Tell DW I said so.

LOL its a toy hauler, unfortunately (or fortunately for my checkbook) they don't make anything wider :frown2:

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
LOL its a toy hauler, unfortunately (or fortunately for my checkbook) they don't make anything wider :frown2:
Damn!... How about longer? >:):grin2:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm running 9" wide all around. But mine's a 450 so I don't have the sliding problems, and the the faster wear in the rear isn't an issue since all 4 are identical and can do rotations that way.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
I ran 9" all around as well. Didn't notice any performance problems. I did notice that I fit into narrower spaces a lot easier and it threw a lot less mud around the fenders.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the same problem with my toyhauler. I solved the problem by backing one machine in, then drove the other in frontwards. This gave me plenty of room with no rubbing.
Good luck with a solution.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the same problem with my toyhauler. I solved the problem by backing one machine in, then drove the other in frontwards. This gave me plenty of room with no rubbing.
Good luck with a solution.
That's what I do now. Do you have 16/17 year bikes? there wider. Plus the rails for the hapi-jack bunks eat up another 2 3/4 inches :frown2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts