Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently reinstalled my 11" wide Growlers on my bike after almost 600 miles of running 26x9 Growler front and rear threw the fall and winter months. The fronts remained the same 26x9 Growlers as always which have 3000 hard miles.

It's spring , and the trails have deep snow, slush, ice, mud, grass, rocks, water crossings, and we have lots of moderate to steep hills to climb. Overall a fun filled slimy time of year for quading!!!

Did a short 5 mile run in all the terrains described above....

I couldn't believe, how my bike struggle threw everything with my 11" wides . The bike was all over the place, handled terrible, difficult to steer and loss noticeable power with the larger rears. Had to be in 4wd the half the time to keep control and forward momentum.

After that ride I immediately switched back to my skinnies as soon as I got home and did the exact same trails for comparison. I was BLOWN AWAY by how superior the 9" tires performed. The bike gained noticeable power, steered and tracked much better, and did everything in 2wd minus two steep hills witch proved a bit much. Basically only needed 4 wd for about 200 feet with the skinnies versus almost 2 miles of 4wd use with the fatties.. WTF '!!!????

Went for 20 mile ride yesterday with my buddy who has 27" swamplites 9" fronts, 11" rears on his 700 Grizzly. We swapped bikes back and fourth multiple times. It was the same story. His bike struggles, was hard to control, and required 4wd frequently. He couldn't believe how much easier my bike steered, handled and drove threw everything in 2wd !!!

Long story short, I'm selling my 11" Growlers and will never run fat tires again.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For comparison.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
After running a square tire setup on 2 different quads I'm starting to be a believer like you! I really like the ability to rotate the tires, less weight and less money spent on tires.

Thanks for posting your experience!

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts
Have to believe less sh!t being slung from the rears too!

My interest is peaked.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@dag1401 has had great luck with various square Growler set ups. He ran three different combinations, 25.5x10", 27x9", and I believe he installed 25x10" Growlers on all four corners on his second Grizzly.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
@dag1401 has had great luck with various square Growler set ups. He ran three different combinations, 25.5x10", 27x9", and I believe he installed 25x10" Growlers on all four corners on his second Grizzly.
I was wondering if you had tried your wider Growlers on all 4? But damn you anyway Vincent, now you got me wanting to buy new rear tires to match my fronts.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was wondering if you had tried your wider Growlers on all 4? But damn you anyway Vincent, now you got me wanting to buy new rear tires to match my fronts.
Lol
No I don't have four fatties to experiment with.....otherwise I would have....

Somthing to consider is my Growlers are MUCH heavier then your Zillas. My 26x11" rears with wheels weight 43lbs a peice. My current 26x9" with wheels weight 34lbs a peice. It appears the extra 18lbs and four inches of rotating rubber on the back REALLY takes away from the sense of balance , handling, and overall performance, on my bike.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
Lol
No I don't have four fatties to experiment with.....otherwise I would have....

Somthing to consider is my Growlers are MUCH heavier then your Zillas. My 26x11" rears with wheels weight 43lbs a peice. My current 26x9" with wheels weight 34lbs a peice. It appears the extra 18lbs and four inches of rotating rubber on the back REALLY takes away from the sense of balance , handling, and overall performance, on my bike.
Good point. Do you know how much horse power your your 550 is putting out with the cvt changes you’ve made?

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
Never mind. Dumb question. After I thought about it 🙄

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good point. Do you know how much horse power your your 550 is putting out with the cvt changes you’ve made?
Never mind. Dumb question. After I thought about it 🙄
Lol.... It's all good bud!

I actually do have a direct comparison. My 37 hp 558cc performes in a very simular way to my buddies 46 hp 686cc with stock clutching. Both are 2009s. Jumping back and forth you would never believe a 9 hp difference even existed.... Both me and my buddy agree on this. Witch I'm very happy and proud off because I do have the small man 558 complex! Lol

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
@Vincent ...I may try the 4-9's on My Queens machine. She doesn't take the chances that I do. We also don't snow ride.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Lol.... It's all good bud!

I actually do have a direct comparison. My 37 hp 558cc performes in a very simular way to my buddies 46 hp 686cc with stock clutching. Both are 2009s. Jumping back and fourth you would never believe a 9 hp difference even existed.... Both me and my buddy agree on this. Witch I'm very happy and proud off because I do have the small man 558 complex! Lol
Many of the most feared warriors were 550's

·
Registered
358 Posts
Interesting observation. I noticed in real loose sand both the Grizzly and the wifes Kodiak steer a lot better in 4WD. They are both squirrely in 2WD. I get the idea of a wider tire on the back to get better traction and more flotation with more weight on the back but at the same time you don't ever see any 4WD truck or SUV's with wider tires on the back or front. I can see where the same width tire on the front and back would track straighter.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
Here in Michigan wide tires on the rear are very popular when off roading because 80-90% of the state is sand. The wider tires keep you on top of the sand and mud more. We have sand dunes here and the Dune buggies and sand rails all have wide as possible tires on the rear. Terrain makes a difference. I believe Vincent idea would still work well here in the sand also because 9” tires are still fairly wide, and work well here in the snow like he has attested too.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Interesting observation. I noticed in real loose sand both the Grizzly and the wifes Kodiak steer a lot better in 4WD. They are both squirrely in 2WD. I get the idea of a wider tire on the back to get better traction and more flotation with more weight on the back but at the same time you don't ever see any 4WD truck or SUV's with wider tires on the back or front. I can see where the same width tire on the front and back would track straighter.
Agreed...
Plowing in the corners can be reduced by adjusting the toe-in to zero.
Squirrely in 2wd is kinda the nature of the beast...The locked rear axle wants the rig to go straight ahead. Increasing the width of the machine enhances the effect. I agree that wider rear tires add even more.
When on the throttle hard lifting the front tires even slightly will cause more plowing.
In hard cornering I find that getting off the throttle for a millisecond then back on hard breaks the rear loose. Like steering with the entire machine. Most everyone knows this trick.
With the Growlers you must use a lot more power to break them loose. A combination of the tire tread, the weight and the width.

Side note...During the first year of SxS become so popular here. Where our driveway meets the gravel town road leading to the trails. I thought that the SxS folks were ripping up the road by jackrabbit hole shots. After a few weeks of repairing the road to stay on the good side of the township and observing a big increase and a new kind of damage to the trails. I realized that the 60-65 inch wide machines were doing the damage turning into our driveway vs leaving. The really wide machines with the locked axles plow big time in slightest corner even at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@reogem
I'm super curious to hear your observations on this kind of set up! I suggest you slap your wifes front tires on your quad and put your new fronts in back and go out for a good rip.... Then report back....it's a fun and easy experiment!!!

P.S As an added bonus you can try your wifes quad with 11" wides at four corners! Lol

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Another interesting little tid bit on my wheel / tire combo is I'm running 12x6" skinny front factory aluminum wheels all around. Baught the black ones in mint condition for 50$ for the set! They match my fronts minus the black paint and are super light at only 5 lbs a peice!! Also they offer plenty of wheel protection @ 1.5" of rubber curvature per side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
My front rims get beat up bad while the backs are hardly touched. I try to remember to take some pictures

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My front wheels haven't had an easy life either. Yet only show minor rub damage. Impressive when you consider how hard I ran them vs how flimsy factory wheels are... I believe the narrow 6" width helps....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
2" rim face to outer sidewall Pitbull 11x26.6

1 - 20 of 73 Posts