Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Amazing the difference 4" of added width and 17 lbs of extra rotating rubber off the rear axles can effect so much....

Attachments

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts
Damn you @Vincent . Really considering buying two new rear wheels and rubber. Just don't have it in me to piss off the wife right now!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm a few years into my 9" square setup now and still love it. And these Artrax CTX radials are wearing so well I haven't even had to do my first rotation yet. But still glad I'll be able to.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm a few years into my 9" square setup now and still love it. And these Artrax CTX radials are wearing so well I haven't even had to do my first rotation yet. But still glad I'll be able to.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently reinstalled my 11" wide Growlers on my bike after almost 600 miles of running 26x9 Growler front and rear threw the fall and winter months. The fronts remained the same 26x9 Growlers as always which have 3000 hard miles.

It's spring , and the trails have deep snow, slush, ice, mud, grass, rocks, water crossings, and we have lots of moderate to steep hills to climb. Overall a fun filled slimy time of year for quading!!!

Did a short 5 mile run in all the terrains described above....

I couldn't believe, how my bike struggle threw everything with my 11" wides . The bike was all over the place, handled terrible, difficult to steer and loss noticeable power with the larger rears. Had to be in 4wd the half the time to keep control and forward momentum.

After that ride I immediately switched back to my skinnies as soon as I got home and did the exact same trails for comparison. I was BLOWN AWAY by how superior the 9" tires performed. The bike gained noticeable power, steered and tracked much better, and did everything in 2wd minus two steep hills witch proved a bit much. Basically only needed 4 wd for about 200 feet with the skinnies versus almost 2 miles of 4wd use with the fatties.. WTF '!!!????

Went for 20 mile ride yesterday with my buddy who has 27" swamplites 9" fronts, 11" rears on his 700 Grizzly. We swapped bikes back and fourth multiple times. It was the same story. His bike struggles, was hard to control, and required 4wd frequently. He couldn't believe how much easier my bike steered, handled and drove threw everything in 2wd !!!

Long story short, I'm selling my 11" Growlers and will never run fat tires again.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you think about all the rubber (and extra weight) on the ground that you have, it's going to drag you down.
If anyone is old enough to remember some of the original Volkswagen beetles they had extremely skinny tires but used to perform wonderfully in deep snow because they would basically just cut through it plus of course it had the rear mounted engine which helped.
Everyone always wants to alter their ride hoping that they can make it better than the engineers that designed it. Not always true as you may gain one thing but lose another.
If you're only doing sand then use sand tires. If you're only doing swamp then use swamp tires. If you're looking for good overall then stick with what the engineers designed it to use... within reason.
The sizes and diameters are all geared to the machine for generally peak performance. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. 🤔
Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you think about all the rubber (and extra weight) on the ground that you have, it's going to drag you down.
If anyone is old enough to remember some of the original Volkswagen beetles they had extremely skinny tires but used to perform wonderfully in deep snow because they would basically just cut through it plus of course it had the rear mounted engine which helped.
Everyone always wants to alter their ride hoping that they can make it better than the engineers that designed it. Not always true as you may gain one thing but lose another.
If you're only doing sand then use sand tires. If you're only doing swamp then use swamp tires. If you're looking for good overall then stick with what the engineers designed it to use... within reason.
The sizes and diameters are all geared to the machine for generally peak performance. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. 🤔
Stay safe out there!
Agreed

Running heavy 11" or 12" rears is kinda like running duallys on our pickups. Sure some do need duallys on their trucks but the vast majority of us don't.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Stay safe out there!
Welcome from Colorado.

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
48 Posts
So if I’m running 9”front 11”rear currently on my 19 SE , will I have any issues just fitting 9” to my rear rims which I gather are a little wider than my fronts ( not sure if it’s 7 Vs 7.5 )
Is the only negative going to be less sidewall bulge/protection for the rims or will the rolling radius be a variable ( marginal ) ?
Thanks
Nick.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
So if I’m running 9”front 11”rear currently on my 19 SE , will I have any issues just fitting 9” to my rear rims which I gather are a little wider than my fronts ( not sure if it’s 7 Vs 7.5 )
Is the only negative going to be less sidewall bulge/protection for the rims or will the rolling radius be a variable ( marginal ) ?
Thanks
Nick.
Your fronts are 6" wides your rears are 7.5" . The tire profiles will be very different running the same size tires.

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
48 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Vincent.
So is it another set of rears I would need to run square front and back. ?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Thanks for clarifying Vincent.
So is it another set of rears I would need to run square front and back. ?
Thank you.
If you want to run 9" wide tires front and rear , you wouldn't want a 7.5" wheels as this takes away too much precious wheel rim protection, compared to a 6" wheels

In my case I baught another set of factory 12x6" front wheels for 50$.

Still haven't decided if I'm painting the fronts black, or stripping and polishing the rears....

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would just paint the fronts black. Less work and the ( New In Thing ) with the younger crowd anyways is black.

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
48 Posts
Ahhh , ok thanks Vincent , I assumed I would need more rears as I thought the offset maybe relevant for clearance and the like.
Makes more sense to run narrower and have more lightbulb shape to the tyres.
Thanks very much.
( I’d go black fronts btw , polished is a pain in the arse corrosion wise and a bit bling for a badass quad :cool:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Stay safe out there!
Engineers know what's best, correct. But by the time the marketing guys, commodity managers, veeps, and boardroom members get all their hands on it, usually what makes it to market is not what the engineers told them they should do.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Ty...must be busy...haven't seen you around.
I still have those 450 parts for you. I've been having a hard time getting away from the campground during the season. We have a camper/friend that lives in Elk Mound. I am thinking of having him bring them back sometime. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Attachments

21 - 40 of 73 Posts