Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
48 Posts
Ahhh , I see what you did there :)
Indecision resulted in a cheeky polished lip , and black at the back , looks bob on that (y)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here's a few better ones

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks Good!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I was indecisive as hell. This was the compromise. Don't like blacked out wheels with no contrast between wheel and tire

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ty...must be busy...haven't seen you around.
I still have those 450 parts for you. I've been having a hard time getting away from the campground during the season. We have a camper/friend that lives in Elk Mound. I am thinking of having him bring them back sometime. I'll let you know.
Busy? Not if you look at my calendar, lol. But yes very occupied these days. I guess 3 little girls age 4 and under will do that to a guy. I still try to check in on the forum when I can. And getting help with Grizzly tinkering has been tougher to come by lately. So I've been doing more with crossbow tinkering the last 8 months or so since I can do most of that independently.

Those shocks would fit in a medium sized flat-rate box, maybe?

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Thank you Summit Racing!

Fresh set of 26x9r12 Growlers!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Are you keeping them for a spare set or getting them mounted up and going to keep them in rotation with the other 4 you have??

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Are you keeping them for a spare set or getting them mounted up and going to keep them in rotation with the other 4 you have??
I'm going to put my current front 4000 mile tires in the back and slightly used rears to the front.

Now I'm going to be drifting, and heartlessly beating / testing my old set Growlers till next late fall.

Then I'll sell my old 26x9 and 26x11" as a complete set of four.

I'll be running my fresh set and my current lightly used set threw next winter

That's the plan at the moment.....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finally rotated my tires. I'm currently running my 26"X 9" Growlers with 5500 kms as my rears.

The trails in my area have finally dried up and the extreme slop from the spring time conditions are behind us.

I must say, these old tires still provide an amazing traction. It's surprising how much BITE they still have in any terrain I rode on yesterday.

Picture of 5500 km Growler vs new never mounted tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Also did a speed run today. Top speed was 61.5 mph on gps

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
@Vincent I noticed the other day that the Pit Bull Rockers are non-directional. That could be a real advantage using the square set up. Pit Bull Rockers

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently reinstalled my 11" wide Growlers on my bike after almost 600 miles of running 26x9 Growler front and rear threw the fall and winter months. The fronts remained the same 26x9 Growlers as always which have 3000 hard miles.

It's spring , and the trails have deep snow, slush, ice, mud, grass, rocks, water crossings, and we have lots of moderate to steep hills to climb. Overall a fun filled slimy time of year for quading!!!

Did a short 5 mile run in all the terrains described above....

I couldn't believe, how my bike struggle threw everything with my 11" wides . The bike was all over the place, handled terrible, difficult to steer and loss noticeable power with the larger rears. Had to be in 4wd the half the time to keep control and forward momentum.

After that ride I immediately switched back to my skinnies as soon as I got home and did the exact same trails for comparison. I was BLOWN AWAY by how superior the 9" tires performed. The bike gained noticeable power, steered and tracked much better, and did everything in 2wd minus two steep hills witch proved a bit much. Basically only needed 4 wd for about 200 feet with the skinnies versus almost 2 miles of 4wd use with the fatties.. WTF '!!!????

Went for 20 mile ride yesterday with my buddy who has 27" swamplites 9" fronts, 11" rears on his 700 Grizzly. We swapped bikes back and fourth multiple times. It was the same story. His bike struggles, was hard to control, and required 4wd frequently. He couldn't believe how much easier my bike steered, handled and drove threw everything in 2wd !!!

Long story short, I'm selling my 11" Growlers and will never run fat tires again.....
Fat tires float, narrow tires bite. Fat tires great for sand.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
Fat tires float, narrow tires bite. Fat tires great for sand.
Exactly why I bought wider than stock tires when I got the Zillas; because 90% of our state is sand. (And sand makes a lot of mud)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I ride on sand all the time. I haven’t found my wides to be better then the skinnies. Just my observations.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
@Vincent I noticed the other day that the Pit Bull Rockers are non-directional. That could be a real advantage using the square set up. Pit Bull Rockers
Yes I've observed that. It would make for a great set up to be able to rotate tires left to right, and utilize a fresh lug edge like dirtbike guys do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ride on sand all the time. I haven’t found my wides to be better then the skinnies. Just my observations.
Does it track better in loose sand?? I would think it would.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I put the 9" Pit Bull Growler Uber XOR on all 4 corners with my 7" wide, 5+2 offset wheels and measured the track width. The track of the fronts is about 2" wider than the rears. Has anyone else noticed this?

I know it makes sense since the stock rear wheels and tires are wider than the fronts. I'm considering putting in a 1" spacer on the hub of the rears to try to even it out.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
When this experiment(?), trial(?) started I was interested in the final thought, and the wide's are going to be sold.
This not being a test between different models, but the same model in different widths, then tested in the same terrain gives me much to consider.
Two thumbs up for the subject matter and different considerations, your finding are interesting for those riding similar conditions to yours, and interesting to me wondering as good as my set-up has worked for years and 7000 miles, is there actually something better out there.
I would have never considered skinny out back to provide better results, I ride snow, mud and sand like you, I am now wondering if I want two sets of rears and will continue following here.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts