Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Does it track better in loose sand?? I would think it would.
So fare it seems everything is better with skinnies. But I'll do a 11" wide test soon and confirm the loose sand aspect.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
I put the 9" Pit Bull Growler Uber XOR on all 4 corners with my 7" wide, 5+2 offset wheels and measured the track width. The track of the fronts is about 2" wider than the rears. Has anyone else noticed this?

I know it makes sense since the stock rear wheels and tires are wider than the fronts. I'm considering putting in a 1" spacer on the hub of the rears to try to even it out.
Mine follow the same track front to rear. But mines an 2009.

Not that it matters but have 1" spacers at all four corners

PS. How do you like your new set up?

·
Registered
249 Posts
So far I like it! It is more responsive and it definitely restored a little of the low end performance that I lost when going to the bigger and heavier tires. According to Pit Bulls' specs, I saved about 18 lbs. by going from the 26.5x11x12 to the 26.5x9x12 in the rear! I also like the idea of being able to rotate the tires front to back to try to even out the wear.

On the other hand, I definitely noticed a loss of stability on tight turns where the inside rear wheel lifts more easily than it did with the 11" wide tires. Hopefully adding the spacers to the rear will help with that.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So far I like it! It is more responsive and it definitely restored a little of the low end performance that I lost when going to the bigger and heavier tires. According to Pit Bulls' specs, I saved about 18 lbs. by going from the 26.5x11x12 to the 26.5x9x12 in the rear! I also like the idea of being able to rotate the tires front to back to try to even out the wear.

On the other hand, I definitely noticed a loss of stability on tight turns where the inside rear wheel lifts more easily than it did with the 11" wide tires. Hopefully adding the spacers to the rear will help with that.
It's definitely a sportier over all feel

I haven't lost any stability in my case. Sounds like a 1" spacers might be a good idea.

Very interesting to hear how this set up response on the newer chassis vs older

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Another observation I've made is that in the end you probably don't gain more overall tire life.

Skinnies wear faster then fatties, so any benefits you gain from rotating your tires won’t give you much if any overall tire wear / life over a traditional staggered set up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's definitely a sportier over all feel

I haven't lost any stability in my case. Sounds like a 1" spacers might be a good idea.

Very interesting to hear how this set up response on the newer chassis vs older
To me, it makes sense since the rear track width is 2" narrower than the front width. It was very stable with the 11" Growlers on the rear. I think the rear may have even been a little wider than the front with the 11" Growlers on the rear.

What I would like to know is the track width the same front to rear on a 2020 XT-R since they have the same size wheels and tires on all four corners?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another observation I've made is that in the end you probably won't don't gain more tire life overall.

Skinnies wear faster then fatties, so any benefits you gain from rotating your tires won’t give you much if any overall tire wear / life over a traditional staggered set up
I'm not so sure about that... My 11" Growlers on the rear were noticeably more worn than the 9" Growlers on the fronts. That hollowed out cavity on the top of the lugs was actually completely worn off on some of the lugs on the rears where it still exists on all of the lugs of the 9" fronts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm not so sure about that... My 11" Growlers on the rear were noticeably more worn than the 9" Growlers on the fronts. That hollowed out cavity on the top of the lugs was actually completely worn off on some of the lugs on the rears where it still exists on all of the lugs of the 9" fronts.
That sounds like it did not have the right air pressure in it to keep the wear pattern even over the width of the tire. How many PSI were you using???

·
Registered
249 Posts
That sounds like it did not have the right air pressure in it to keep the wear pattern even over the width of the tire. How many PSI were you using???
I normally run the fronts at 5.5 to 6 PSI and the rears at 5 to 5.5. I check air pressure before every ride. The 11" rears are progressively more worn towards the center which I believe would mean the pressure is too high. Which is strange because the rears were always kept at a lower pressure than the fronts.

I think that the rears wear faster than the fronts for two reasons:
1) Left and right axles are locked in the rear and the inside wheel skids on turns which is fine on lose surfaces. But wears tires on rock and paved surfaces.
2) Slipping up rocky terrain in rear wheel drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
I normally run the fronts at 5.5 to 6 PSI and the rears at 5 to 5.5. I check air pressure before every ride. The 11" rears are progressively more worn towards the center which I believe would mean the pressure is too high. Which is strange because the rears were always kept at a lower pressure than the fronts.

I think that the rears wear faster than the fronts for two reasons:
1) Left and right axles are locked in the rear and the inside wheel skids on turns which is fine on lose surfaces. But wears tires on rock and paved surfaces.
2) Slipping up rocky terrain in rear wheel drive.
I agree with the rear axle being locked. With air pressure and wide tires you have to remember there is less pounds per square inch as the load is distributed over a bigger area than a narrower tire. Most likely a little lower psi would have helped.

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts
I also have noticeably more wear on the BigHorn originals on my 07 Grizzly. Sizes 26x9x12 and 26x12x12. Although I specifically run 1 psi more in the rears than the fronts. I also run in 2wd about 90% of the time, primarily trail with rocky conditions.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
PJNiez Quote:" I think that the rears wear faster than the fronts for two reasons:
2) Slipping up rocky terrain in rear wheel drive. End Quote"

The rears wear faster because those get all the horse power thrown at them, every time you wack that throttle those babies are spinning and digging. Look where you have been once. LOL 😆
ZT.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
61 - 73 of 73 Posts