Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Big Bear350 when I pull up on the shifter the clutch does not disengage any ideas? I just put a new clutch pack in and no change. The centrifuged clutch seems to be ok.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Not really understanding what you mean. Can you explain what it is doing?
The clutch does not disengage by pulling up on the shifter. All the shifter does is change gears. The clutch engagement or disengagement is based on engine rpm.
If engine idle rpm is too high, the clutch will not disengage and drag when not moving. It can even stall the engine if idle rpm is high enough or make shifting gears difficult.

If your bike is gear shifting is just stiff, clunky or just difficult to change gears, then this is a common complaint on the older bikes. The best solution for this is using good engine oil and doing regular routine oil changes. Amsoil is known for making ATV's and motorcycles shift much smoother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok on a two stage clutch the primary centrifical clutch allows you to sit at idle without moving While in gear. The secondary clutch operates when shifting gears. The secondary clutch is activated by lifting or pushing down on the shift lever along with changing gears. When the shifter is lifted the movement actuates an arm that pushes on the pressure plate of the secondary clutch. Same as pulling in a manual clutch. So if you would pull up a the shifter and hold it in an up position it is the same as holding in the clutch on a single stage clutch. the problem I’m having is that the secondary clutch is staying engaged when cold. this has gotten worse over time which tells me it is some kind of wear issue however I’m not sure what would be worn. Is it possible the spring on the actuator arm has gotten weak or the arm itself has worn enough to be the issue

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
These are like the old trail 50' and 90's I played with 40 years ago, damn how time flies :)
If I remember, there is a push rod running through #10 to #24 that if bent or worn does not let full pressure off the clutch plates.
Look here:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the old Honda bikes were a bit different. I was thinking similarly however on this model I would have to think something in the shift shaft assembly which applies the pressure to the #10 in the parts diagram you kindly shared. Thanks for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts