Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 98 big bear 350 4x4. All it needed was a battery and a good carb cleaning and she was puring like new...until I took it is water. Now this wasn't a lot of water maybe 8 inches deep, but when I hit the hole I lost a lot of power like it was trying to die. It pulled its self out and as soon as I hit dry ground it was right back to running normal. I got home and checked all my vents, carb, air intake etc. Gave all electronics a good coating of dielectric grease and sprayed then with silicone spray on the out side. Went a couple days later and same thing. When I got home this time I sprayed it down with a garden hose to pinpoint the problem. I sprayed it all over and it never tried to die until I sprayed the outside of the exhaust (muffler) then it started to big down and eventually died. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Welcome to the site from VA and congrats on getting a new to you Grizzly. Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Based on what you have described, it sounds like your exhaust is gurgling from getting water into the system. Once you are out of wet situations, the heat from the exhaust is able to evaporate the water and you are back to running. Others will chime in on this and I hope we help you get this problem fixed.
Cheers.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I suspect your probably getting steam into the intake from water hitting the exhaust. This will choke out and cause a bog. Pretty common to happen actually. Depending on how I hit a water hole my Grizzly will do it.

Not saying for sure this is your issue. But it is a common thing to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if its an exhaust leak then I should be able to either patch it or replace it to fix it? Is there a way to correct the steam issue if that's what it is?

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
My 660 would bog when steam rising from the exhaust got sucked into the stock snorkel after collecting under the tank cover. Here at altitude being down on oxygen anyway, not much steam caused a problem.
Then, here at altitude with thin air, I drilled holes in the air box lid for greater air flow than could be had through the stock snorkel as the bike was running rich. The grizz runs better with more air and I learned moving the access for the air to the filter stopped the steam problem too. I didn't want tall snorkels and this worked for me. If I'm crossing streams in spring with high water run-off, I'm careful to not let water get under the seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have confirmed that it is the steam. I got her good and warmed up sprayed down and watched it suck in the steam. It instantly began to die. I also like the holes in the air box idea, and I don't think I'd go through anything deep enough to worry about it. I wouldn't need to rejet for that would I?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would run a snorkel up above the the top of the bars and grease the air box lid and vent all carb lines ect. To the top of the snorkel. That way the steam can never get in the system. A snorkel is good insurance that you don't ever flood the bike anyways

1 - 7 of 7 Posts