Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to change the oil in my 98 Grizzly 600 and thought I would check my oil pump screen. While removing the plug to the oil pump the head of the plug completely broke off. See pic. Now i have no way to remove the plug and no way to seal up the bottom of the engine. Any suggestions on how to remove the remaining part of the plug?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks like there is enough material to get it out. I would start tapping at it with a hammer and long screwdriver or chisel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to GC.

Is that picture of underneath the engine? I'm having trouble understanding "oil pump plug". Your oil pump is inside the crankcase and there is no plug to get to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil pump oil plug in under the crank case next to the oil drain plug. just above the plug is a spring and strainer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The oil pump oil plug in under the crank case next to the oil drain plug. just above the plug is a spring and strainer.
Nice! I wish mine had that. The only way to get to my strainer is to split the cases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried hammering on it with a flathead screwdriver but it will not budge. The angle is bad because of the frame. I can only get to 2 of the bumps and they are starting to show damage. I am afraid i will break them off if i continue. Does anyone know why the bumps are there? is there a tool made to grip it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Have you taken that off before? From your first picture it looks like it's part of the case and doesn't come off. I don't know the 600 Grizzly but I looked on a diagram and couldn't find any plug besides the drain plug.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I found a picture on the net that shows the underside of the 98 Grizzly.
The plug you are talking about seems to come off (I think) but those bumps you are banging on now really seem to be part of the case! In your first picture it looks like when the bolt broke off, it took part of the case with it.

I could be way off on this. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just telling you what I see.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I found it. I'm really sorry if I was misleading you. Although it looks like just the nut comes off and not the thing with the stubs on it. But hey, I'll stop now and let someone who actually knows the Grizzly 600 help you. Again, sorry for possibly misleading you.

Reactions: Abaldus

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Part 11 about 8 bucks.

Might as well use a piece of 1/2' square stock about 8" long and a hammer start tapping on those lugs. Remember counter clockwise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have a heat gun, or an old hair dryer would work too.....start tossing some heat on it before you try removing it.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
This is not so uncommon to happen. Seen it a few times myself to various Yamaha models. Those plugs tighten up by themselves quite commonly.

Still easily removed though. Like has already been mentioned, use something as a punch and hit the "lugs" in the direction to remove it. Don't be afraid to hit it. It will take some force to break it free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the plug off!!!
I ended up making a tool that would grip the lugs. I cut a 3" piece of 1-1/2" galvanized pipe and cut slots in to that corresponding with the lugs. I also drilled a hole for a pry bar. Then i used my floor jack to hold the tool against the plug. Then, with the pry bar, i was able to coax the plug out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I got the plug off!!!
I ended up making a tool that would grip the lugs. I cut a 3" piece of 1-1/2" galvanized pipe and cut slots in to that corresponding with the lugs. I also drilled a hole for a pry bar. Then i used my floor jack to hold the tool against the plug. Then, with the pry bar, i was able to coax the plug out.
Well done!

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
There is a nut similar in the diff that needs a spanner type socket/tool to remove and install it. Some guys grind a big socket to fit it as you did. Remember your trick if you run into that issue.
Good job and thanks for posting back how you fit the problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got the plug off!!!
That's thinking outside the box! Way to go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the plug off!!!
That's thinking outside the box! Way to go!
I am having a very similar problem except I used a extraction tool and it broke the whole wide open.

I am attempting to use a dremel to cut small pieces out of it so it will fall apart.

Your thoughts?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts