Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Grizzly that is acting like the clutch is in the engaged position. I am hoping to get some ideas for the cause and if anyone else has ran in to this. I am thinking the parts that the belt rides on? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
What do you mean acting like it's in the engaged position?
Does the engine stall when you come to a stop?
Did it stop moving/driving altogether?

Need more information to help you. What exactly is happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it stalls when I come to a stop as if I did not pull the clutch in. Still moves but you need to force in to gear and never stop:)

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
There is only a couple of things that cold cause this. Idle RPM set too high, a locked-up one way bearing (sprag clutch) or broken wet clutch spring(s).

If idle RPM seems high, turn it down and see if that fixes it.
If it just started happening all of a sudden, the locked up oneway bearing is the most likely culprit. These do fail from time to time. If you replace this oneway bearing, ONLY USE a factory Yamaha part. All others are garbage. This has been very well known and documented on this forum.
Broken wet clutch springs are extremely rare. Almost to the low point of being non-existant. But it is a possibility.

Reactions: waltinbatonrouge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I will order one. Even if not the issue It cant hurt to replace. Should I replace anything else while apart? and is this a big task to handle? Thank you again

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
You'll need 2 gaskets. One for the case cover you got to pull, and another for the clutch cover (600 is the only Yamaha without a reusable gasket), and engine oil.

Drain engine oil.
Remove clutch cover (requires removing floorboard)
Remove belt and primary clutch.
Remove inner sheave of primary clutch (just slides out).
Remove the engine case cover located behind the inner sheave cover. Oneway bearing is inside it.

Make sure you install the new oneway bearing in the correct direction. If you install it backwards, you will need to remove it again to fix it. Additionally, I usually give the bearing a very thorough inspection before installing to make sure none of the cam rollers flipped during handling of the bearing.

Additionally to all this, I recommend you download a factory service manual. They are about $10 from the tradebit website and will give you all the information you need to do all the repairs on your bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts