Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just purchased a '99 big bear 350. when shifting through the gears it will go into neutral but the light will not go on so the push button start won't work. It worked this morning when I started it up, but after putting a few miles on it (there were no hard shifts or beating on it, just normal driving around and pulling a tube out in the yard)

I know it is in Neutral because I can pull the pull cord to start it and then rev the motor and it won't go anywhere so I know it's not in gear.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All yamahas should start in gear with the brakes on. Try starting it with front hand brake aplyed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
make sure neutral saftey switch is pluged in and is good, i had a 84 honda that the switch was bad and it was grounded so it would start in all gears, if pluged it in it would not start and no light

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where is the neutral safety switch at? I figure it's probably in the gear box but no idea where at.

I tried starting it with the brake applied and didn't start... the oil light will just light up. The only way I can get it to start is by pull starting it. Could snow maybe have gotten into something causing the sensor to not show that it's in Neutral?

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Yea that might be issue or maybe the switch is stuck in compress position where it hasn't been ridden lately. when you find the switch maybe you can spray it with contact cleaner and then with WD40 to lubricate it and help it make connections and free upthe plunger or contact that is inside it. Don't know what type of switch so not sure of issues myself just kicking round ideas to try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so after letting it sit over night, the neutral light came on without an issue... and worked for probably 20 min's or so and then wouldn't go into Neutral again... I think you're right about it getting stuck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, wondering if you solved your neutral issue yet. I am having the same problem with the neutral light not coming on. Electric start wont work, only pull start.

I keep seeing stuff about the neutral safety switch but I cant find it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so I just purchased a '99 big bear 350. when shifting through the gears it will go into neutral but the light will not go on so the push button start won't work. It worked this morning when I started it up, but after putting a few miles on it (there were no hard shifts or beating on it, just normal driving around and pulling a tube out in the yard)

I know it is in Neutral because I can pull the pull cord to start it and then rev the motor and it won't go anywhere so I know it's not in gear.

Any help would be appreciated.
I know this an old post, but if you're still out there, did you resolve this issue? Mine is doing the exact same thing you described, only I have no pull start, so I'm having to either jump it into gear or jump the solenoid. HELP!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anybody figure this problem out? I'm having the same problem but it's also causing mine not to rev up very high in rpms I'm going to swap the natural safty switch but this thing definitely need an answer for the next guy with this problem I'll have the parts in about a week if it fixes it I'll make a update post about it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts