Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if I'm posting something that everyone has beat to death. But I'm just wanting a little more pep in my grizzly. I've put 26" Bear Claw HTRs on my 2012 grizz 700 a few years ago and noticed a big power loss. I've since added 1.5mm of shim to the clutch and it improved a fair amount. But it still doesn't have enough mustard to get the front wheels off the ground. What would you guys recommend I do? I live in BC, Canada and stick mostly to trail riding (rock/compact dirt trails and mud when I need to). You guys have any suggestions as to what possible spring/weights I should use??

My quad is completely stock except for tires and shim mod. And I do pack along a decent amount of gear with me when I go riding like chainsaw, gun, general recovery tools, and first aid stuff.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help馃榿
Andrew

Super Moderator
Hey guys, sorry if I'm posting something that everyone has beat to death. But I'm just wanting a little more pep in my grizzly. I've put 26" Bear Claw HTRs on my 2012 grizz 700 a few years ago and noticed a big power loss. I've since added 1.5mm of shim to the clutch and it improved a fair amount. But it still doesn't have enough mustard to get the front wheels off the ground. What would you guys recommend I do? I live in BC, Canada and stick mostly to trail riding (rock/compact dirt trails and mud when I need to). You guys have any suggestions as to what possible spring/weights I should use??

My quad is completely stock except for tires and shim mod. And I do pack along a decent amount of gear with me when I go riding like chainsaw, gun, general recovery tools, and first aid stuff.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help
Andrew
I have a feeling you may have answered your own question. How much of your pack along stuff do you carry on your front rack chainsaw your gun extra fuel maybe? if you carry any of this On the front rack that's a major problem when it comes to you wanting to lift the wheels off the ground any extra weight is working against you.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2007 grizz 660 camo sold 2019 honda passport 2001 breeze 125
馃き

Attachments

Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Agree, should see if you can lighten your load in any way possible and split the remaining weight between the front and rear racks.

I actually went through everything I carry last summer. All of the extra nuts/bolts/u-bolts, tools everything. I found I had duplicates of stuff, especially tools and greatly narrowed down things. I also replaced very heavy metal shackles with synthetic soft shackles and removed my heavy snatch block (keep it in my truck now which always transports my Grizz). It is amazing how much extra useless stuff one might end up carrying that never gets used and the weight can easily add up. I do still carry essentials, first-aid, overnight jacket, gloves, etc. even though I haven't used them. It was an eye opener when a riding buddy told me how much his Grizzly weighed after he had it all loaded up. I believe it was around 850 lbs for a 2021 Grizzly. That is a lot of extra added weight, over 100 lbs when you look at the published curb weight of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's very true. I'm sure I could go through some of it and I'd notice a difference. I believe that's Murphy's law if I take out something that hasn't been used in forever...next ride I'll be needing that 馃槄

But just incase I go to a different spring (orange or purple)...could someone inform me if I need to change the weights too in the primary? Or would stock weights be sufficient?

Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS Red
I would suggest you look into a slug kit for your wet clutch. Its one of the cheapest mods you can do to a Grizzly, or even a Kodiak. You鈥檒l have to drain the oil and take off a cover and replace a gasket, but its worth it. Just don鈥檛 use an impact on taking out the left handed nut or you will probably ruin the one way bearing, ask me how I know.
I also run 26鈥 HTRs on my 鈥08 Grizzly 700. I bought the JBS Performance Extreme Hot Rod Kit with the purple spring earlier this week. Hopefully the kit helps. The slug kit definitely does help a lot. Once when I was riding on a wet and muddy trail, I took a turn and floored it. I felt my front end start to go up and I couldn鈥檛 turn. Wasn鈥檛 expecting to pop a wheelie! Anywho, slug kit for sure.

Premium Member
Wrong RR, she came in at a swelt 900 pounds. hence the name Orange Porker. Right off the showroom floor, full of gas it was 760 pounds, Then all the aux stuff put on her, winch, Roto-Pax, cargo box, tools/first Aid, air compressor, retrieve gear and clothing. I used a professional certified scale for my weighing.

Reactions: RedRocket

Grizzled Moderator
Damn wgc, needs a diet for sure. i knew it was a shocking number, just didn't recall it was that shocking. If it is the Orange Porker, seems appropriate that it would like to wallow in some pig puddles. What say you @wgc, time for some mud hole riding? hahaha.

Reactions: wgc

Premium Member
Wrong guy for wires! That's Rob's forte, remember. But hey, Fat Grizz's need loving too, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: RedRocket

Grizzled Moderator
Wrong guy for wires! That's Rob's forte, remember.
Hey, if you're trying to make fun of Rob, go easy on the guy. He's been hard at work getting ready to launch his new youtube channel, "The homeless prepper, by Rob". I even have a picture from his first project but not sure if he would allow me to show it here.

Reactions: wgc

Registered
Hey, if you're trying to make fun of Rob, go easy on the guy. He's been hard at work getting ready to launch his new youtube channel, "The homeless prepper, by Rob". I even have a picture from his first project but not sure if he would allow me to show it here.
Don't tease us and get our hopes up. We need the pics.

Grizzled Moderator
OK, don't have his permission but multiple people asked for me to keep the stoke going for when Rob's new channel launches. The first episode will detail how to keep as much extra wiring as possible so that when the time comes, you can sell off the extra copper to feed you and your family for a couple of weeks. Good planning and careful winding of the extra wiring should allow for at least 25 lbs of saved copper for when you really need it.

Pros: Up to two weeks worth of saved money to feed you and your family.

Cons: Your riding buddies may be delayed on their ride departure while you try and figure out why your Grizzly won't start.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting

The homeless prepper, by Rob - Episode 2 will go into how to get the most out of those brake pads so you don't have to replace them as frequently. Stay tuned.

Super Moderator
OK, don't have his permission but multiple people asked for me to keep the stoke going for when Rob's new channel launches. The first episode will detail how to keep as much extra wiring as possible so that when the time comes, you can sell off the extra copper to feed you and your family for a couple of weeks. Good planning and careful winding of the extra wiring should allow for at least 25 lbs of saved copper for when you really need it.

Pros: Up to two weeks worth of saved money to feed you and your family.

Cons: Your riding buddies may be delayed on their ride departure while you try and figure out why your Grizzly won't start.

View attachment 102354

The homeless prepper, by Rob - Episode 2 will go into how to get the most out of those brake pads so you don't have to replace them as frequently. Stay tuned.
Holy crap, I've never seen that much copper in one spot... And I work at a Nickle & copper mine!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would suggest you look into a slug kit for your wet clutch. Its one of the cheapest mods you can do to a Grizzly, or even a Kodiak. You鈥檒l have to drain the oil and take off a cover and replace a gasket, but its worth it. Just don鈥檛 use an impact on taking out the left handed nut or you will probably ruin the one way bearing, ask me how I know.
I also run 26鈥 HTRs on my 鈥08 Grizzly 700. I bought the JBS Performance Extreme Hot Rod Kit with the purple spring earlier this week. Hopefully the kit helps. The slug kit definitely does help a lot. Once when I was riding on a wet and muddy trail, I took a turn and floored it. I felt my front end start to go up and I couldn鈥檛 turn. Wasn鈥檛 expecting to pop a wheelie! Anywho, slug kit for sure.
Hey thanks I did order a slug kit! How did you torque down that reversible nut?? I have a plan to hold down the sheaves, but the wet clutch is kind of recessed in the housing. How did you keep that secure without buying fancy tools? Thanks

Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS Red
Hey thanks I did order a slug kit! How did you torque down that reversible nut?? I have a plan to hold down the sheaves, but the wet clutch is kind of recessed in the housing. How did you keep that secure without buying fancy tools? Thanks
Its been a while since I did it so I don鈥檛 fully remember the process, but I think I used my impact on it. I don鈥檛 recommend it, but it worked for me on the left handed nut, but it ruined the first bearing when I used the impact to tighten the primary sheave. I suggest you either buy one of the clutch holding tools out there or just make your own holder(s).

Premium Member
Not sure why popping wheelies is so important but set your rear shock springs on the lowest settings to start, don't have anything on your front rack, the 1.5mm shim you have should be plenty, orange or purple secondary will have more to do with midrange, 18 gram weights will make a difference in what you are seeking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts