Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife had a week long backpack trip scheduled with another gal and the gal canceled on her so we set off for a 7 day quad riding vacation. We ended up riding 6 days and rode in 5 different locations here in Michigan. 4 of the locations were places we never rode before which was fun & interesting. On our 3rd day we rode the Kalkaska trails. There was a heavy dew that morning but I went right into the atv trail. Well that turned out to be a mistake. The wetness from the dew was no big deal but man was the trail overgrown. 1/2 the time I could not even see the trail as it was 100% face slappers and the leafs were sticking to my goggles. So off the ATV trail and we rode the snowmobile trails up to Starvation Lake and back which is a very nice 48 mile loop. When we got about a mile from the trailhead we stopped at a intersection and looked around and found this tree...

Before our 7 day vacation my boy had sent me a link to a 2003 Honda TRX400 sport quad that was for sale. The description said. Installed and new carb and now cant get it to run. It was cheap so I decided to go look at it. I took a compression gauge and a spark plug wrench with me. It had good spark & compression but would not fire. I ended up buying it. Once I got home i got thinking about it so I went out to look and the gas tank was Bone dry. I thought to myself it can't be this easy?? So I put a gallon or so of Rec 90 in it, flipped the choke on and on the 4th roll it fired up and sat there idling but sounded like a piston slap or something was wrong with the rocker arms. As you rev'ed it the noise got worse then in the upper R's the noise went away. So as I was listening to the engine I noticed there was silicone around the valve cover. I immediately though someone has been in there and has something screwed up. Turns out I was correct. Honda has a automatic decompression on the Cam and also has a automatic reverse decompression in case the engine rolls over backwards. Well whoever had the cam out of it forgot to put a $.39 cent spring back in it which push's the steel plunger up so the reverse decompression don't slap the rocker arms when the engine is running. Total cost to fix was $50. $.39 for the spring and $43 for a rubber coated steel valve cover gasket.

On our 6th day of riding my boy & his wife came up to ride with us and he brought the TRX400 to ride. The TRX ran great all day and towards the end of the day I jumped on to see what it was like. I rode it all of 2 miles and wanted off the thing. It ran good but it rode terrible compared to my Grizzly with Elka's. I use to ride a Raptor 700 before I bought my Grizzly and I don't remember my Raptor ever riding that bad. I swear you could feel a dime on the trail. When my boy got off my Grizzly his first words was... I want one of these!!! And followed up by saying I cant believe how nice this rides!!! It sure gave me a whole new perspective on how good my Grizzly rides compared to a sport quad. It's literally like comparing a empty Dump Truck to a Cadillac for ride comparison.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts