Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A point in the right direction or some thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. I have an 11 grizzly 700 with no owners manual. A couple months ago I installed a light bar which I wired into the accessory power wire (black n white striped) and it worked great. 3 days riding at Ride Royal Blue night rides. No problem. Few weeks later I was riding at deer camp. Turned on light, worked maybe 2 seconds n out. Lighter/accessory dead also. Checked fuse inline on light bar wire, checked all mini blades in lil box and the 2 larger 15 amp blades adjacent to there. All appear good. Are there more I'm overlooking? Or is there a relay on that stock wire I should be looking for? It seems pretty common people splice into that wire to add mods but a search for problems afterwards has got me no help yet. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,358 Posts
Checked fuse inline on light bar wire, checked all mini blades in lil box and the 2 larger 15 amp blades adjacent to there. All appear good. Are there more I'm overlooking?
IF you are referring to the OEM fuse block... when looking at the front of the grizz towards the back, the OEM fuse block is in the upper right corner of the main tray. Within that fuse block is the ACC fuse. I wasn't sure if that is the fuse in your quote above.

It seems pretty common people splice into that wire to add mods but a search for problems afterwards has got me no help yet.
Yes, it is very common to splice into that ACC wire to use it for what energizes a relay, for accessories.

If you are running multiple accessories off of that wire for direct current feed, that is not considered a good idea. You would need to be precise on the amount of start-up amps being drawn through that wire to know you are not exceeding the max amps. IIRC, that wire is either 10 or 15 amps but someone confirm.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I do believe that is a 15 amp line which should run a 10 inch light bar no problem as I would assume your around the 65-80 watts so 5 to 6 amps. I would think firs to your light bar. If it is running it's own fuse you will want it to be smaller then the main so I would run a 10 in the light bar and leAve the 15 in the accessory so your light bar will trip the inline fuse first. I would go over your wiring to your switch and ground seeing that is where I thibk your issue will lie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those replies. I was kinda thinking it could be a ground issue but thought that would blow the fuse. And I cannot locate any blown fuses. RedRocket, yes that's the fuse block where I checked all the mini blades. T Rev, the inline fuse on the light bar is a 7 amp and not blown.
I also unplugged the wiring harness on the light bar lead and stil no power to accessory charging point.
This is why I'm questioning if there is another fuse I'm overlooking? Hmmmmm...

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Test the fuse with a meter or put in a known good fuse.
There are no other fuses or relay in that circuit. Trace the wires from the socket back to the keyed switch and the ground. The socket its self could be toast.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
If it was a ground issue there is a chance you fried your light bar

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,358 Posts
A way to verify if the ground to the ACC 12V plug... use a meter on the positive 12V plug and use direct ground from the battery. Compare that reading from + and - off of the plug itself.

Are you sure your splice into the ACC wiring didn't break free to where both the 12V plug and light are not getting current? If you used a alligator clip to splice into the ACC wiring, it could have broke the wire... I don't like those alligator clips.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...got back under the hood this morning, battery jumper pack and multi meter ready. Removed positive n negative terminals at battery. Attach jumper clamps to leads. Power to light switch illuminated. (I should mention it was lit previously too). Turns out the wire I had spliced into accessory wire was for the winch I installed the same day as light bar. Swap out fuse with a known good one and test where I pulled relay off. Good. 11.85 reading. Reinstall original fuse. Good. 11.85 reading. Plug relay back in. Test end of lead by light bar pigtail. Nothing. Test again. Nothing. Ok, bad relay I'm guessing. Time to contact Moto Alliance or maybe just see if Orielly has one n be done with it.
On to the power accessory. Stick the multi meter probes in and bam. 12.20. No problem at all. Realize my own oversight. I was using an aftermarket shorty usb plug with phone charger when I had noticed it didn't work. Same night the light quit. Assumed same circuit failing. Today I plugged in a full length charger and no problem.
My point in sharing this is to hopefully help out any other non electrician readers who may encounter a similar problem sometime. Or give some of you a laugh at my stupidity on not thinking this all the way through. At least it turned out its nothing tedious.
Thanks again for your replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts