Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at replacing my stock rims&tires with aftermarket. Whats better for ride quality 12” or 14” rims/tires? I do not mudbog, mostly ride in the yard and gravel roads in summer and on frozen lakes during winter months. The price difference is about $40 goung from 12” to 14”

What’s the reasoning of going with a bigger rim?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I’m looking at replacing my stock rims&tires with aftermarket. Whats better for ride quality 12” or 14” rims/tires? I do not mudbog, mostly ride in the yard and gravel roads in summer and on frozen lakes during winter months. The price difference is about $40 goung from 12” to 14”

What’s the reasoning of going with a bigger rim?
14" rims are really for if you need to go with huge tires. They are much heavier, and with a normal size tire in the 26 to 27" range will ride much harder due to the sidewall of the tire being shorter and not able to provide the "forgiveness" that a taller side wall will give. Your style of riding is similar to mine. A nice lightweight 12" rim with some good all terrain radial tires in the 26" dia. will give you great handling, a much improved ride, and won't require much if any modifications to the clutch to maintain good power. ITP and STI make a lot of great wheels that have a limited lifetime warranty. The tire choices are many, some real popular ones are Kenda K587 HTR, Maxxis Bighorn, and many others. Check out the "Official Tire and Wheel Thread" on this forum, TONS of info.

Reactions: Pjniez and it400

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been debating the same thing, in the end I wound up going with 14" as the wheels I wanted were only available in 14" and the tire size combo I wanted is in 14" as well...

The short of it is:
12" = 1" more sidewall (between the rim and the ground) generally a smoother ride, better rim protection, more flotation, ...
14" = less sidewall and the advantage there is less sidewall flex when in the corners (rougher ride but better handling on hardpack)

The other thing is people like big rims so alot of new tires are being designed with 14" in mind and sometimes the options on 12" rims seems to be dwindling a little bit.

If your tires are 26" or less, I would definitely go 12"
If your tires are 27" or more, I would lean the 14" route

Good luck on your decision, I figure worst case decision the resale around here on 14" is easier so if I hate em, just sell and put something else on.

Reactions: Pjniez

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
The tire sidewall is part of the system suspension.
In the rock around here, I like more sidewall.
Your area conditions and how hard you ride may have more to do with your choice of wheel than what the grizz looks like in the garage or on the trailer.

I've seen the 'look' when hauling ass (riding) with other members, the first time they find a chunk of wheel lip missing from their new wheel.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
311 Posts
I haven't been on many trails around here in Minnesota yet, but from what I have seen and heard from others its mostly forest roads, gravel, a bit of mud here and there and whatnot. I hope I don't regret the 14"s but I think they will be fine for around here as I see a ton of stock Can-Am and Polaris's running around on stock 14" wheels.

I would imagine crawling rocks you would definitely want small tough rims with alot of sidewall to flex and allow the tire to grip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I went with 14" when I got mine a few months back. There was a national shortage of the tire I wanted for 12" wheels while the same tire in 14s was available.
I didn't weigh anything, but I believe my setup is lighter with the 14" wheels and the 26" tires than had I gone 12" with the 26" tires. First off, the the rear tire in 12" is a 12-12, vs the 14" is 14-11. There is a LOT more heavy rubber with an inch more sidewall and an overall inch in width on the 26x12-12. I believe the wheel is the lighter part of the wheel/tire combo and the tire is the heavier part. 26x14-11 is more wheel, less tire, less unsprung weight.
A great advantage I've discovered too is the amount of space there is around the brake disk. Junk like mud and gravel does not get stuck in there and then not come out like the problem was with the stockers.

Reactions: Pjniez

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I'm a big fan of 12's on the Grizzlys with 25's if I want to fly or just do some normal riding. Same with 26's.

I like 14's better for mud and snow because it allows the ice and stones to escape better between the wheel and edge of the rotor. I hate having it tumble in there which can remove the finish off the wheel in there.

And the suspension factor is true too. Tires need to flex in certain situations to get the most out of them.

LOL...so many factors if you want to get right down to it.

We just put some new 25" Terracross tires on stock 12's on the Suzi Queen Quad 750 we're doing...we'll bump the rear out with 1" spacers also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, i’m probably going with 14” MSA M12 Diesel’s with 27” Zillas

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,541 Posts
Thanks again to those who provided input, I think the combo looks pretty sweet!
Looks great. Good thing you took a pic! They’ll never be “that” clean again. At least not without a whole lot of elbow grease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts