Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed 1.5" spacers, the solid disk type, on my "new" to me, 2013 Grizzly 700.
As you can see in the picture, the standard grizzly wheel studs are not long enough to get 100% of the lug nuts threads engaged.
Only about 1/2 the nuts threads are being used. Which means that only about 5-6 threads on the stud are being used.
I did chinch them down tight and used the supplied lock tight, but just looking at the picture, something is not right, and this does not seem safe to me.
Question = does yours look like this, and if not, why not ?
Should I return these for the "flat nut type" modify these by deepening the counter bore, or just return them ?
I have put about 30 miles on them, gotten some "air" on a few water bars and snubbed some big rocks during the ride, and so far the spacers show no signs of coming loose.
I f you have spacers, your thoughts please.
Mike in Colorado

Attachments

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
I am using a solid billet spacer, like yours, but mine is only 1". However, the spacers I bought came with nylock nuts since where the OEM lugs come through the spacer, that area on the spacer is flat. At least for my Grizz, lug nuts sit recessed into the wheel so they have the conical end. I used the actual lug nuts on the wheels, torqued to spec at 40 ft lbs. I used the nylock nuts to hold the spacers on to the wheel hub and again, torqued to 40 ft lbs.

I would not be running the spacer based on your explanation and picture and yes, I would be afraid of what you have there. Get it resolved before riding it anymore.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have just installed 1.5" spacers, the solid disk type, on my "new" to me, 2013 Grizzly 700.
As you can see in the picture, the standard grizzly wheel studs are not long enough to get 100% of the lug nuts threads engaged.
Only about 1/2 the nuts threads are being used. Which means that only about 5-6 threads on the stud are being used.
I did chinch them down tight and used the supplied lock tight, but just looking at the picture, something is not right, and this does not seem safe to me.
Question = does yours look like this, and if not, why not ?
Should I return these for the "flat nut type" modify these by deepening the counter bore, or just return them ?
I have put about 30 miles on them, gotten some "air" on a few water bars and snubbed some big rocks during the ride, and so far the spacers show no signs of coming loose.
I f you have spacers, your thoughts please.
Mike in Colorado
x2 on what @RedRocket said. That is NOT enough thread engagement for extended safe riding. Don't ride it anymore until you get full thread engagement. The studs will break or the threads will strip.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
X3 on that's not enough threads on the stud. I don't know what brand you bought but a lot of users on here including myself have had good luck with the Ebay spacers xxbilletxx.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
All wheel spacers that I have installed came with mounting nuts. You use the "stock" lug nuts like normal, except your bolting the wheel to the spacer rather than the hub. Either way, the stock nuts hold the wheel on, not the spacer. The spacer is bolted on using the supplied mounting nuts. These mounting nuts have always been shallow, locknut style (ribbeds on bottom of nut to dig into the aluminum) on all the spacers I have done.

The spacer should also have no conical shape on its mounting holes. It should just be flat. If it is, then you do not use a conical lug nut to hold it on. It's a regular flat nut.
Use conical lug nuts in conical holes only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts