Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a shock While doing the first service on my brothers Kodiak.when I pulled the air filter to clean it.you can clearly see lots of dust has gotten past the air filter
I think we found out why it had started smoking with Less than 20 hours.I believe the problem lies in the design.where the front of the filter has a foam seal but isn't oiled from the factory and that is where all of the dust had come thru.still wondering if oiling the front foam ring seal will stop the problem as it seems kinda of a loose fit....so if you have a 2016 with the new air box might wanna check it over

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
I actually talked about this very issue when I first got my 16 grizzly in a past thread. I oiled the foam as well before I ever rode it much at all. I don't like the design and am planning to make an aluminum flange that will bolt to the air box and seal via an o ring, that will allow a clamp on style filter to be used. Basically like the pro design intake setups. Once I sort out the details on my personal unit I may offer them up for sale. I've considered making a thread to gauge interest.

Reactions: CThusky08 and stump

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks to be doing good. However the adhesive that holds the foam to the filter came loose in a small area so I had to re-glue that. Def not up to the quality I think a filter should be. Sure it's simple to remove but no where near as fool proof as it should be.

Now the filter material itself I think is good. It's dual stage and the Yamaha oil is some super sticky stuff! I just greatly prefer a clamp on style.

Reactions: possume22

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got a shock While doing the first service on my brothers Kodiak.when I pulled the air filter to clean it.you can clearly see lots of dust has gotten past the air filter
I think we found out why it had started smoking with Less than 20 hours.I believe the problem lies in the design.where the front of the filter has a foam seal but isn't oiled from the factory and that is where all of the dust had come thru.still wondering if oiling the front foam ring seal will stop the problem as it seems kinda of a loose fit....so if you have a 2016 with the new air box might wanna check it over
That is not good at all. You have dirt getting into the motor. I would bring it to the dealer and have them get into the motor and look for wear. I ruined a motor on one of my motocross bikes because of this very issue.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks to be doing good. However the adhesive that holds the foam to the filter came loose in a small area so I had to re-glue that. Def not up to the quality I think a filter should be. Sure it's simple to remove but no where near as fool proof as it should be.

Now the filter material itself I think is good. It's dual stage and the Yamaha oil is some super sticky stuff! I just greatly prefer a clamp on style. ]
I think they could have done better myself

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is not good at all. You have dirt getting into the motor. I would bring it to the dealer and have them get into the motor and look for wear. I ruined a motor on one of my motocross bikes because of this very issue.
They don't have to look far as you can see it smokeing lol on such a new machine they should replace the motor not repair. Because we all know once the dirt gets inside the engine.just replacing worn parts only covers up the problem for a short time.the engine needs to be pulled and cases split to insure all of the containments get removed

·
Registered
125 Posts
After you clean your filter oil everything well including the foam o-ring, then put a light layer of bearing grease on the foam o-ring that meets the plastic housing. We have been doing this for a long time and I think it will solve your problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After you clean your filter oil everything well including the foam o-ring, then put a light layer of bearing grease on the foam o-ring that meets the plastic housing. We have been doing this for a long time and I think it will solve your problem.
Good tip, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's going to the dealer Monday... Gonna let them see what's has happened before we touch the filter.it is really to late to clean and oil as it has already started smoking so damage has done been done.you would think that the foam oring would be oiled before it leaves the factory

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stock banshee filters were the same shitty design, it's a shame Yamaha hasn't changed the filter set up since 1987, I also was disappointed when I pulled the seat off my 2016 grizzly, I plan on switching to a clamp on filter

·
Registered
785 Posts
That filter design has been around forever. It's sucks, but overall Yamaha keeps ticking away without reliability issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone figure out a solution or aftermarket filter to fix this terrible design yet?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anyone figure out a solution or aftermarket filter to fix this terrible design yet?
What seems to work very well for me is applying grease on the sealing surface of the foam gasket. Thanks to info on this forum I greased that seal before I took it out for the first ride.It looks to do it's job so far.

I don't ride in extremely dusty conditions but the filter in the OP pics looks very dirty to me, I would not ride my bike with that dirty of an air filter. This is part of the basic pre-ride checks I do, it only takes 1 minute to check that air filter and the motor oil. And you can always have a spare pre-oiled foam filter in a ziplock bag if very dusty conditions are expected.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What seems to work very well for me is applying grease on the sealing surface of the foam gasket. Thanks to info on this forum I greased that seal before I took it out for the first ride.It looks to do it's job so far.

I don't ride in extremely dusty conditions but the filter in the OP pics looks very dirty to me, I would not ride my bike with that dirty of an air filter. This is part of the basic pre-ride checks I do, it only takes 1 minute to check that air filter and the motor oil. And you can always have a spare pre-oiled foam filter in a ziplock bag if very dusty conditions are expected.
I to grease around the seal. Did it after the 2nd ride but it's no dusty conditions around here right now. I would still keep it greased regardless of the condition. My motocross bikes had a threaded stud with a wing nut. Simple but effective. So far I think that is the worst design. Yamaha get it together! Lol

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
It's going to the dealer Monday... Gonna let them see what's has happened before we touch the filter.it is really to late to clean and oil as it has already started smoking so damage has done been done.you would think that the foam oring would be oiled before it leaves the factory
This seems to have just happened to me. It only smokes on cold start after sitting overnight, and only for a few seconds, then stops smoking. Is that what yours did?

Did your dealer replace your engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Still to this day yamahas sending out new quads with the filters not oiled this needs to be spread everywhere when you buy new first thing you need to do it oil the filter and the foam ring!

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion best thing to do is convert it to k&n as soon as you bring it home. Never had a problem with my factory filter on my 2016 kodiak 700 SE but I recently converted it to a k&n system and wish I would have done it sooner. Great connection and you can feel a big difference in performance. Plus cost is not bad at all for converting ur own air box to fit the k&n.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
In my opinion best thing to do is convert it to k&n as soon as you bring it home. Never had a problem with my factory filter on my 2016 kodiak 700 SE but I recently converted it to a k&n system and wish I would have done it sooner. Great connection and you can feel a big difference in performance. Plus cost is not bad at all for converting ur own air box to fit the k&n.
Lots of talk on this issue with the filter design, I believe Eric at EHS has a custom filter design now that he is offering for the 16 and up Grizz and Kodiak, somebody else on here also mentioned using the KN filter with the factory foam sleeve pulled on over it with very good results in dusty conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts