Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok, I will be the one to ask.....what is AIS?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Air induction system or something like that.
It's a stupid and annoying system Yamaha uses to get better emissions. It injects air into the exhaust pipe to cause unburnt combustion fuel to ignite in the exhaust system. It causes a popping sound that is annoying enough, people are thinking about jumping ship to another brand that doesn't pop every time they let off the throttle.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Blocking the system doesn't seem to cure all the popping.
Mine still pops .
I have it blocked, have a fuel controller,
Have checked for leaks in my exhaust.. nothing works, it still pops and farts and it's SUPER annoying

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes it is annoying sure wouldn't want loud exhaust on it you would have people looking at you thinking your machine is messed up.

Exactly.
The Canam guys crap on me anyway.. I've got reliability as an argument, but that goes farther when your machine isn't always farting.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the popping is annoying AF. I just finished installing the EHS Controller and of course the AIS block. Quick test around the yard and no signs of popping. Hope to ride soon to test it out for real.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Thanks to this post and the video above, I decided to finally block my AIS. I as not able to locate a thin walled vacuum cap the correct size at any of my local parts stores. I headed to Lowes to look for some aluminum round bar to cut down a block it that way. While walking down the isle, I just happened to notice the protective thread caps.

These come in 1/2" but aren't quite as long as I would have liked and a bit thicker than a vinyl vacuum cap. To be on the safe side, I went and looked for 1/2 round bar as well. They had none so I got a short piece of 1/2" allthread. My thinking was to cut it down, dremel a screwdriver slot in one end and screw it down in the hose to where I could still put the hose back on the bottom of the air box.

When I got home, I attempted the cap and it wouldn't go on but was close. I used the end of a craftsman 3/8ths ratchet and shoved the cap over the end. That stretched it just enough and I was able to get it on the air box. Just a squirt of wd40 on the cap and the hose easily went over the cap. As I said earlier, the cap is a little thicker, so the clamp would not go over the hose. I ended up using two zip ties to secure the hose on the bottom of the air box.

It feels solid so I think it's good to go.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ais ? What is it and what does it achieve

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,543 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes it is annoying sure wouldn't want loud exhaust on it you would have people looking at you thinking your machine is messed up.
Should hear my barkers, sounds like a m80 in a pop can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts