Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 94 timber wolf from a fellow on craigslist, he notified me that it would need a cdi, wiring, new rear everything bearings.

After pulling the diff, i could see it was run with water and ate up the bearings.
I ordered a set of all balls differential bearing and seal kit off ebay from tuttimoto (seller) after them showing up 5 days late I proceeded to heat up and press out the old bearings. After giving it final wash down I then pressed in the new ones. First up was the large diameter (left side) ring gear carrier bearing, after getting it just over the lip it just fell into place with a little bit of wobble. Next up was the other side of the ring (left side needle bearing) the sidewall on this was sooo thin; when I pressed it in, the sidewall flexed and seized up the needles. Next was the pinion bearing that presses onto the shaft (ball) I slipped it over sitting in my chair and spun it by hand and I could feel something catching. After closer inspection I noticed that there were cracks and imperfections in the race.

Pay extra and get either timken or OEM bearings.

·
DJ
5,636 Posts
:rocker:pretty well know fact around here that All Balls bearings ect. are inferior products.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
ive used them on my old honda 300 without incident(not many miles put on them), but after reading countless threads of people having issues, the brand wont go on anything i own again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read around and it seems the going success rate is 60/40. 60% REALLY hate them and 40% really love them. Still waiting on a reply from the seller. I'm interested to hear his .02

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
Never used them, probably will NEVER use them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well, I now have mixed feelings on this kit.... I bought a set for the axle (2 bearings and 2 seals) and the bearings were made by KML (chinese) however they didnt have the slack the other ones did and they measured to be an exact fit, the seals were also chinese but they fit.

Ive got to agree with the previous comment where some were garbage and others were good...

as for the seller, he never responded and ebay agreed to give the money back but I would have to return them... it would be a waste of my time and money to ship these. Maybe its be being cheap but once the wheel bearings were in, all the slop was gone. However I will be removing the diff in a few months to see whats worn out and whats lasted.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If timken makes it, that's all I use.....

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
All Balls bearing products are cheaply products. They do use inferior metals and tolerances. Thats why you usually pay so little for them. This is not too say they are bad products, just do not expect it to last or be as durable. This is one of those classic "you get what you pay for" cases.
I will not say cheap "made in china" product because most everything you buy today is made in china. Just because its made in china no longer means its a low quality product.

Timken, NTN, and Koyo make very good quality bearing products, but they also sell for much higher prices in "most" instances. Just know that Timken and Koyo make products in China. Timken has been in China for years. Koyo many times will have Japan written on the bearing, but thats only because Koyo is an Japanes company. Many times the bearing is actually made in a Chinese plant.

Just a FYI here, but at my local dealer here in Nova Scotia, Canada the All Balls wheel bearings for my Grizzly are $24 each. The OEM Kawasaki bearing (Koyo bearing DAC3055w), which is the same wheel bearing as the Yamaha, is $20 each. This is one case where the much better quality product is cheaper than the inferior product.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All Balls bearing products are cheaply products. They do use inferior metals and tolerances. Thats why you usually pay so little for them. This is not too say they are bad products, just do not expect it to last or be as durable. This is one of those classic "you get what you pay for" cases.
I will not say cheap "made in china" product because most everything you buy today is made in china. Just because its made in china no longer means its a low quality product.

Timken, NTN, and Koyo make very good quality bearing products, but they also sell for much higher prices in "most" instances. Just know that Timken and Koyo make products in China. Timken has been in China for years. Koyo many times will have Japan written on the bearing, but thats only because Koyo is an Japanes company. Many times the bearing is actually made in a Chinese plant.

Just a FYI here, but at my local dealer here in Nova Scotia, Canada the All Balls wheel bearings for my Grizzly are $24 each. The OEM Kawasaki bearing (Koyo bearing DAC3055w), which is the same wheel bearing as the Yamaha, is $20 each. This is one case where the much better quality product is cheaper than the inferior product.
good point, my htc phone is made in china, however ive taken it swimming on 3 different occasions, constantly dropped yet the screen is still intact and functions like new.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have used All Balls bearings before without any issues, mainly on my Banshee. I typically use Pivot Works or OEM stuff when possible though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A couple of years back I used All Balls wheel bearings for the rear, maybe got a 100km before both were toast, replaced again with the OEM and everything is tight. I hear mixed reviews about pivot works also, my dad only got 1 season out of them on his 660 Grizzly. Its a hit and miss.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
How many miles are on the oem bearings? Just speculating but for the cost and time of labor involved i would stick with the oem many people have thousands of miles on them with no issues it seems like a no brainier to me.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
How many miles are on the oem bearings? Just speculating but for the cost and time of labor involved i would stick with the oem many people have thousands of miles on them with no issues it seems like a no brainier to me.
got 6 500 km on the rears OEM, put all balls in lasted 100 km , went back to oem
got 11 200 km on the front OEM, just changed last season, they weren't even too bad. I do baby my toys though :wub:
Will only every use OEM

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
from what I was seeing, all balls is a company that just buys and packages misc bearings that fit a certain application; therefore they might actually be worth a shit, but... thats where mixed reviews come in. Since mine were installed, i have yet to have any problems with the wolf.... however I did need wheel bearings in my BB400 and the yamaha dealer only carried all balls >=( so I didnt really have a choice; however with only about 50 miles on them, no problems yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All Balls bearing failure way up in the middle of West VA mountains, put them in 2 years ago. They were the cheaper option, no one to blame but myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts