Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
I think you might be surprised at how well the Zillas ride given their design. I have them on my XTR and found that they ride pretty smooth, even on pavement up to 60mph. You may want to give them a try and see what you think. That said, I agree with the others in this thread, and I will be replacing my Zillas with Bighorn OGs in the spring. The Zillas do through rocks very badly if you ride on gravel at all. Really annoying to be constantly hit with rocks. I also want a radial that excels at trail riding, so the Zillas don't fit the bill. And like another poster, I plan to wander far from the trailer and will be using my Grizzly for long distance, multi-day outings. But again, you might be surprised at how well the Zillas perform and decide to keep them.

· Premium Member
13,028 Posts
..................I agree with the others in this thread, and I will be replacing my Zillas with Bighorn OGs in the spring. The Zillas do through rocks very badly if you ride on gravel at all. Really annoying to be constantly hit with rocks.......
Warning!
The O.G.'s throw rocks up too, but to me that's a small price to pay.
After I had a few B.F.R.'s hit my elbow I made and installed deflectors attached to the floor boards, which also keeps most mud and water off the rear fenders.
You can see the coverage provided, and being flexible they don't hang up.
I warn a passenger to step on the running board, not the flexible rubber.
I know they aren't stylish but this ain't no garage queen to look at.
https://flic.kr/p/fwZaMJ https://flic.kr/p/fxaSuh https://flic.kr/p/jDQT2S

· Registered
217 Posts
I sure hope the OGs aren’t as bad as the rock throwing Zillas! The Zillas throw tons of smaller sized gravel and retain about 20-30 rocks in the tread at any given time. I haven’t made them yet, but I’ve been planning something similar to your setup for blocking the rocks. I like fabricating, so I might even pull off making something a little more stylish!

· Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I sure hope the OGs aren’t as bad as the rock throwing Zillas! The Zillas throw tons of smaller sized gravel and retain about 20-30 rocks in the tread at any given time. I haven’t made them yet, but I’ve been planning something similar to your setup for blocking the rocks. I like fabricating, so I might even pull off making something a little more stylish!
:)
The O.G.'s have wide, deep lugs so it was the size of the rocks intermittently thrown up that caused the problem. Like a golf ball in size.
Good luck with stylish material.

· Registered
1 Posts
I plan on acquiring a 2023 Grizzly SE. It comes with the Maxxis Zilla, which is not an ideal tire for us since we don't do any mudding. We use our ATVs for mostly casual trail riding in the woods and fields upstate NY. We also use them small back roads that are hard pack dirt. The days or riding "hard" are behind us. Yes the EPS model would make more sense but i cant get passed the colors for 2022 and 2023 so that's why i am considering the SE. I have heard mixed reviews on the Zillas as far as an all terrain tire and don't have any first hand experience. I have 2 options: 1- try out the Zillas for a while and see how it goes maybe they are fine and i can live with them. If not then i can explore replacing. 2- replace them at the get-go and sell the Zillas (or maybe the dealer will give me a credit) . If I went down this road, and wanted to use the existing OEM 14 inch rims what are my best value tire options? I have seen alot of recommendations for ITP Terracross, ITP Blackwater EVO, pit bull growlers and Kenda bearclaws HTR. Thoughts? Also, since all the OEM rims are the same does that mean i need to keep all 4 tires the same width or can i consider staggering with smaller tire upfront? If i need to keep the same then I think i would rather go with a 9 inch or 9.5 inch wide tire instead of 10 all around. Thanks in advance for your help.
I just purchased the XTR grizzly 700 with the same tires … I don’t mud much but I’m happy with them so far …. I wouldn’t do different size tires just run it the way it is ….

· Registered
208 Posts
I'm quite happy with the Zillas on my '21 Grizz. I might switch to the bearclaws once they wear out but it won't be because I was unsatisfied with their performance.

Reactions: Bearsixty7

· Registered
208 Posts
They make a set of fender extensions for the Grizzly that do a good job in stopping the gravel. Put a set on my '21 and I have been well pleased with how they work.

· Registered
12 Posts
I plan on acquiring a 2023 Grizzly SE. It comes with the Maxxis Zilla, which is not an ideal tire for us since we don't do any mudding. We use our ATVs for mostly casual trail riding in the woods and fields upstate NY. We also use them small back roads that are hard pack dirt. The days or riding "hard" are behind us. Yes the EPS model would make more sense but i cant get passed the colors for 2022 and 2023 so that's why i am considering the SE. I have heard mixed reviews on the Zillas as far as an all terrain tire and don't have any first hand experience. I have 2 options:

1- try out the Zillas for a while and see how it goes maybe they are fine and i can live with them. If not then i can explore replacing.

2- replace them at the get-go and sell the Zillas (or maybe the dealer will give me a credit) . If I went down this road, and wanted to use the existing OEM 14 inch rims what are my best value tire options? I have seen alot of recommendations for ITP Terracross, ITP Blackwater EVO, pit bull growlers and Kenda bearclaws HTR. Thoughts?

Also, since all the OEM rims are the same does that mean i need to keep all 4 tires the same width or can i consider staggering with smaller tire upfront? If i need to keep the same then I think i would rather go with a 9 inch or 9.5 inch wide tire instead of 10 all around.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I think your way over thinking it. Guys are telling you that you won't get anything for the Zillas so you have a couple of options. Ride them till bald and enjoy 😉 i bought Zillas for my 2021 grizzly and wheels then sold the factory maxxis and black aluminum Yamaha wheels. I ride over everything and love my Zillas. Gravel, blacktop grass dirt and a little mud if it rains, I have no complaints or flats. So just ride it or spend a lot of money with Inflation for new tires. Enjoy 😉

· Registered
217 Posts
They make a set of fender extensions for the Grizzly that do a good job in stopping the gravel. Put a set on my '21 and I have been well pleased with how they work.
Nice ride. I’ve got the same one. Do rocks still sneak under those front guards and come into the footwell? I think I’ll try something like ridgeway first, and see how that goes. Here’s the area I’m talking about:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

· Registered
2022 Wolverine RMAX4 2021 Grizzly XTR, 2016 Kodiak
18 Posts
I love my Zillas. Have the 21 XTR. Don’t ride much on gravel. i have about 1500 mi on the stock tires, wooden trails, fields, occasional pavement in the south, and HMT. like you, I was worried about the “mud” tire. My dealer convinced me to give them a chance, and I’m glad I did. The trick was finding the right psi, and they are great for me.

· Premium Member
9,744 Posts
I've made these for all of our machine. Mostly so water doesn't spray my leg and hip. They do keep rocks and gravel from hitting the rear of the foot well and the rear fender. I tried mud flaps like like found on a truck or car total wasted of time and $

Just a piece of 4" conveyor belting and SS bolts washers and nuts about 8 bucks per machine. The trailing edge needs to be notched to fit under the back edged of the foot well.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Light
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring Tints and shades

· Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Nice ride. I’ve got the same one. Do rocks still sneak under those front guards and come into the footwell? I think I’ll try something like ridgeway first, and see how that goes. Here’s the area I’m talking about:
View attachment 104589
One thing to remember is the 660 had a floor board designed narrower under the rider boot so much narrower than the newer 700's, and that allows more debris to come up and hit the rider side of the rear fender(s).
I don't use over-fenders because we have 50" wide gates throughout the area, so adding several inches to the over-all width doesn't work for me.
As I run stock wheels without spacers the tires are mostly under the fenders, it was that slight difference in floor board width v wide of fenders that allowed the rocks to fly up, thus the deflectors I added.
Look back at the pictures, I used one 12" wide truck mud flaps cut in half and the narrowed flap goes out to the fender edge, covering maybe a 4" gap.
I only suggested this to a member experiencing rocks thrown up, they're not for everyone: like one tire model isn't for everyone either.

· Registered
411 Posts
You guys and your "mudflaps"! Try riding a Raptor! :)

I am so happy with how little or no mud and water get on me riding the XT-R compared to the Raptor.
I love the Raptor and it was/is the ATV I always wanted, but the Grizzly's are right there and moving up, especially if the terrain is muddy, and as I get older.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Got a friend that rides a Renegade. He looks like he was sprayed with sewer hose at the end of a "fun" ride.

· Registered
217 Posts
I ride some narrow trails as well and would like to avoid the over fenders if possible. I’ll say they do look really good though.

I’ve never ridden a raptor but I’m getting spoiled by the comforts of the Grizzly😁

Between reogem and ridgeway, that’s the solution I’m looking for.

· Registered
208 Posts
View attachment 104589
A few but not very many compared to before I put them on. That little bulge at the bottom of the forward fenders is quite efficient at deflecting stones away from the foot wells.

· Premium Member
13,028 Posts
You guys and your "mudflaps"! Try riding a Raptor! :)

I am so happy with how little or no mud and water get on me riding the XT-R compared to the Raptor.
I love the Raptor and it was/is the ATV I always wanted, but the Grizzly's are right there and moving up, especially if the terrain is muddy, and as I get older.

View attachment 104592
What part of D.F.W. area?
I moved from N. Richland Hills to Colorado 30+ years ago.
I've heard of the Raptor, never seen one on the mountain trails here but it could been done during the summer months on some trails. We do see them in the desert area down around 6000ft. near Montrose.
If you're in the area with the Raptor let's give it a run, I have 4x4 to pull you over the rock when needed :)
https://flic.kr/p/fxbReu https://flic.kr/p/fxT2Qi or you can go extra fast and hope to stay the trail,
https://flic.kr/p/fy8fb9 https://flic.kr/p/fxSVun

Reactions: Patroller

· Registered
148 Posts
I've made these for all of our machine. Mostly so water doesn't spray my leg and hip. They do keep rocks and gravel from hitting the rear of the foot well and the rear fender. I tried mud flaps like like found on a truck or car total wasted of time and $

Just a piece of 4" conveyor belting and SS bolts washers and nuts about 8 bucks per machine. The trailing edge needs to be notched to fit under the back edged of the foot well.

View attachment 104590 View attachment 104591
I keep seeing set ups like this and have to say, it seems like a pretty great idea.

Everyone thats done it says its the hot ticket....now if I could just figure out where to find old conveyor belt material to make some of my own?

· Registered
411 Posts
What part of D.F.W. area?
I moved from N. Richland Hills to Colorado 30+ years ago.
I've heard of the Raptor, never seen one on the mountain trails here but it could been done during the summer months on some trails. We do see them in the desert area down around 6000ft. near Montrose.
If you're in the area with the Raptor let's give it a run, I have 4x4 to pull you over the rock when needed :)

or you can go extra fast and hope to stay the trail,
NE of Dallas, in Wylie, TX. Been here since 2004. The Raptor does pretty good except the deepest/stickiest of mud or steep hills with ice or deep ruts on single path trails.

I had a friend/co-worker when I was in Austin decades ago that I had always told him how well a 2WD ATV would do in most terrain as we had some on the farm when I was a kid/teenager.
He then moved to Colorado Springs area for several years and while visiting him one time, I got a rental 4x4 ATV to ride with him and his buddies. It was winter time an we were going up into the mountains on snow covered trails mostly with some ice in places. After a couple hours we were on steep ice covered section and I couldn't make it. I notice neither front wheel was turning even though 4x4 was engaged, we found the wire at the switch damaged and was able to fix it so we got one front wheel working, the other had a broken wire at the hub IIRC and we couldn't fix it on the trail. but I could keep up with one front wheel pulling.
I remember him saying, "You weren't kidding when you said a 2wd ATV can go a lot of places!"

The only times I have been stuck have been sticky deep mud, Most rocks I can make if a Grizzly can, just takes a different technique and more effort. The other short fall is ground clearance, the rear skid plate is so low it will hang up on a deeply rutted trail, normally I can straddle the ruts but on some hills, there is only one path.

· Registered
411 Posts
I'm also considering selling the Raptor, very torn about that, but I can probably sell it for what I paid for it or more and use that money to pay off a small loan I have. Decisions, decisions! :confused:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts