Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

All Terrain Tire Question for 2023 Grizzly SE

8K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  Ridgway81432 
#1 ·
I plan on acquiring a 2023 Grizzly SE. It comes with the Maxxis Zilla, which is not an ideal tire for us since we don't do any mudding. We use our ATVs for mostly casual trail riding in the woods and fields upstate NY. We also use them small back roads that are hard pack dirt. The days or riding "hard" are behind us. Yes the EPS model would make more sense but i cant get passed the colors for 2022 and 2023 so that's why i am considering the SE. I have heard mixed reviews on the Zillas as far as an all terrain tire and don't have any first hand experience. I have 2 options:

1- try out the Zillas for a while and see how it goes maybe they are fine and i can live with them. If not then i can explore replacing.

2- replace them at the get-go and sell the Zillas (or maybe the dealer will give me a credit) . If I went down this road, and wanted to use the existing OEM 14 inch rims what are my best value tire options? I have seen alot of recommendations for ITP Terracross, ITP Blackwater EVO, pit bull growlers and Kenda bearclaws HTR. Thoughts?

Also, since all the OEM rims are the same does that mean i need to keep all 4 tires the same width or can i consider staggering with smaller tire upfront? If i need to keep the same then I think i would rather go with a 9 inch or 9.5 inch wide tire instead of 10 all around.

Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
What percentage of hardpack, soft, and mud (even light mud) do you plan on doing?

As to the BearClaw HTRs that you mention... they do terrific in soft and even into mud, even though they aren't true mudders, I've pulled right out of a mud hole that truly surprised me with how deep and soupy it was, the front of the machine was up almost to the top of the tires, the rear of the machine was in up to the exhaust, but they pulled me right up out. They do give up a little on hardpack. But, they'll get you out of places where a true hardpack tire won't.

#6 ·
70% wooded trails that are wide enough for our side by side but not wide enough for a full size vehicle. 15% riding through fields and 15% riding on old logging roads (I guess that's hardpack). Outside of some minor mud on the trails in the spring we don't do mud.

#3 ·
Welcome to GC.

You'll probably recoup more money if you sell the Zillas as unused, new take-offs. I've only tried the Zillas on a friend's machine and didn't care for them on trail conditions, and for that short experience, they seemed to wander. But I do know someone who loves the Zillas for trail riding.

The 12" vs. 14" debate? I prefer 12" wheels but depends if your tire choice/size will be available. You might need to "settle" either way without getting exactly as you would want.

I absolutely hated the ITP Terracross tires, traction was poor (mountainous, rocky, rocky over hardpack and snow) unless they were run at very low psi. At the very low psi, I was getting a lot of rim hits on rocks. I got rid of them right away. Of the tires you've mentioned, I would personally choose the Bearclaw HTRs. I'd also run them in a square tire setup. I switched to a square tire setup just over a year ago and will never consider going back to a staggered tire/wheel setup again. I've noticed no real loss of traction trail riding and in fact, the ride seems more confident and tracks a lot better than with staggered. I'm running 26x9x12 on all four corners and feel no need to change anything, makes the backend feel pretty lively with less rotational weight on the rears.

Reactions: Grizzerino
#7 ·
I dont want to get new rims so I am stuck with the 14" s that come with the SE. As for the bearclaws HTRs, i was surprised that the guys from the youtube channel Dirt Obsexxion (who do very informative reviews in my opinion) absolutely hated the bearclaw HTRs. Their tire recommendation was ITP Terracross.

#4 ·
The Zilla's are fine for easy trail riding as long as they are dirt and not gravel. On gravel you and your quad will get pelted all day long by flying rocks. I'm running the A043 Sunf's 26x9x14 all around and they work great for hardpack/pavement. They last and don't cost $200 a tire. As for resale unless you live where mudding is a big thing $200-300 for a full set of Zilla's is what they go for where I live.

#8 ·
... As for resale unless you live where mudding is a big thing $200-300 for a full set of Zilla's is what they go for where I live.
Where do you live and what sizes?
I'd buy a set of 4 for that! I love the Zilla's on my XTR, Unbelievable traction in every terrain we've ridden, dirt, mud, sand, trails, some roots and rocks as well..

I need Two 25x8-12 and two 25x10-12 for the 500, two 26x8-12 and two 26x10-12 for the Grizzly.

I think the 500 could even run the 26" tires ok.

#5 ·
I rode the zillas for about 200 miles and then went with htrs in 27x9.5 flavor on all 4 corners. couldnt be happier.

#12 · (Edited)
I plan on acquiring a 2023 Grizzly SE.....
We don't do any mudding, mostly casual trail riding and small back roads that are hard pack dirt. The days or riding "hard" are behind us.
I've heard mixed reviews on the Zillas,
I have 2 options:
1- try out the Zillas for a while,
2- replace them at the get-go and sell the Zillas.
Also, do I need to keep all 4 tires the same width or can I consider staggering with smaller tire upfront?
As you aren't going to hammer your new Griz in tough conditions the best reason to consider better tires is for puncture resistance, the tread design (grip) can't be important unless you want to see different cleat marks in the dirt when looking back.
There are many tire models out there, and as mentioned above I suggest considering only radial design tires with 6-ply construction.
We have many members asking for tire recommendations, with most wanting the 'Best' until comparing the price of different models.
Many members get stuck with the least preferred (wrong) wheel diameter for best over-all performance.
I think Yamaha uses the 14" wheel for the bling factor which works for many members because they don't ride near the max performance capabilities of the Grizzly. If you haven't finished negotiating the 'deal' for the new machine, have the dealer switch the wheels/tires from a base Griz with 12" wheels to your new ride at no charge to you.
As for tires there is only one best all-around tire for a Griz, I use them and know.
I'll bet 90% of my riding miles are at slow speed on moderate trails and these tires work great, are smooth and very puncture resistant. For the remaining 10% of use I hammer the Griz in shit most others don't want to ride going at speeds most other never consider. As I can't change the tires when out on the trail I go with the best all the time even though best isn't always needed.
As for size, some members like what is referred to as a square set-up.
I use the skinny-wide set-up for my trail conditions here. I run a 9" tire up front and what is labeled as a 12" tire out back on stock wheels.
I like this set-up as I don't need more traction up front than the 9" tire provides, while I want the max traction out back with the 12" tire. Most of my riding is in 2 wheel drive as evident by the tire wear. Some run the square set-up to rotate the tires for longer use and less expense which is unimportant to me.
What is important here is to determine what 'you' need, then not settle for less.
In my area I can be over 100 miles from a town or the trailer and without phone service access when out riding and a cheap price for tires doesn't give me a feel good because I saved a few bucks. A few years ago myself and another member spent 7 days in a row out on the trail covering 972 miles over the 7 days, and on one of those days we did 455 miles.
These tires have been from the desert floor at 3000ft. to the top of the mountain above 14,000ft. but I also ride with another member running stock tires over the same trails without fail.
Now having said all this, you must determine the value of tires to your way of thinking. Tires are like beer, pick the one tasting best knowing they all end up in the same place.

#13 ·
I would say it depends on how you ride on which wheel is better. If you want the best driving Grizzly at higher speeds don't do 12 inch. The sidewall will flex a lot more when cornering. The 14's at speed are a much better wheel and less sidewall to puncture. These things dive bad enough when cornering at speed, 12 inch wheels just add to it. If you ride 5-15 mph all day I'd say you'll want the softer ride of the 12 inch. We ride gravel/paved roads only at 20-45 all day, don't need it pushing more in the corners due to sidewall flex, it already dives bad enough. But that's the price you pay for the plush suspension. Set it up for you and your riding style, not what other people want. Traction is not a premium for me and I ride thousands of miles a year, so the square tire setup with the ability to extend the tire life by being able to rotate them is a huge plus.

#16 ·
From Jim's, and many other's recommendations of that specific tire on GC, it is also the tire I currently run. The traction I get on the terrain I ride, is far greater than those ITP Terracross tires as the BigHorns were what I went to directly after my experience with the Terracross tires. Granted, the Terracross tires came on the used Grizzly I purchased, only 300 miles on the machine and the tires looked close to new. Those Terracross tires also were 26x8x14 and 26x10x14 so not entirely sure if that had anything to do with why I had to lower the psi so much on those tires and then started getting rim hits as a result. I just was not willing to buy a larger set of the Terracross tires, on 14" wheels, to find out. I went back to a known good tire, the BigHorn OG.

The only problem, right now, with original BigHorn tires is the outrageous increase in price they are at now.

Reactions: Bearsixty7
#18 ·
It is certainly not surprising to hear the recommendations for the original big horns given their long established track record. I am sure they are are great but the current pricing is ludicrous. I am thinking that the bearclaw HTR may be a better value option for me. Assuming that i am mounting them on the 14inch OEM rims and continuing with a square setup, which sizes would you recommend? It looks like they mae 27x9.5x14 and 26x9x14. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that the the bearclaws run larger than the zillas and are also heavier. I definitely don't want a tire that is a bigger than the stock zillas, not for trail riding and no mud.

#19 ·
I love the idea of getting the dealer to swap wheels/tires for you. You might try to get them to do it from a Kodiak SE to get you the nicer 12" bling wheels from that model. A tire no one has mentioned yet is the GBC Grim Reaper. Better grip than a Bighorn in most situations (yes I have run both on the same machine). Very good handling and cornerning. Good wear characteristics but not as long lasting as a Bighorn. From the small time I've had my HTRs I have found the stiff tread has some issues doing things like clawing over slicker logs but the tire grips better than it appears it should. For whatever my rankings are worth these would be my top 5 tires from my experience: 1. Pitbull Rocker (Braven Hellhound?), if you've never used them it's hard to describe 2. GBC Grim Reaper 3. tie Maxxis Bighorn OG & Kenda Bearclaw HTR (too close to call) 5. GBC Dirt Commander (bias ply but handled well and grip was great). Where and how you ride will determine what you find does best. I live in Hayden, ID and based off the times of year I like to ride (all of them) these are favorites. Any of the tires people have mentioned will be way better than the Zillas, those tires have no business on a trail machine like this. Put them on a mud oriented model, sure, but not this machine.

Reactions: Bearsixty7
#21 ·
I think you might be surprised at how well the Zillas ride given their design. I have them on my XTR and found that they ride pretty smooth, even on pavement up to 60mph. You may want to give them a try and see what you think. That said, I agree with the others in this thread, and I will be replacing my Zillas with Bighorn OGs in the spring. The Zillas do through rocks very badly if you ride on gravel at all. Really annoying to be constantly hit with rocks. I also want a radial that excels at trail riding, so the Zillas don't fit the bill. And like another poster, I plan to wander far from the trailer and will be using my Grizzly for long distance, multi-day outings. But again, you might be surprised at how well the Zillas perform and decide to keep them.

#22 ·
..................I agree with the others in this thread, and I will be replacing my Zillas with Bighorn OGs in the spring. The Zillas do through rocks very badly if you ride on gravel at all. Really annoying to be constantly hit with rocks.......
Warning!
The O.G.'s throw rocks up too, but to me that's a small price to pay.
After I had a few B.F.R.'s hit my elbow I made and installed deflectors attached to the floor boards, which also keeps most mud and water off the rear fenders.
You can see the coverage provided, and being flexible they don't hang up.
I warn a passenger to step on the running board, not the flexible rubber.
I know they aren't stylish but this ain't no garage queen to look at.

#23 ·
I sure hope the OGs aren’t as bad as the rock throwing Zillas! The Zillas throw tons of smaller sized gravel and retain about 20-30 rocks in the tread at any given time. I haven’t made them yet, but I’ve been planning something similar to your setup for blocking the rocks. I like fabricating, so I might even pull off making something a little more stylish!

#24 ·
:)
The O.G.'s have wide, deep lugs so it was the size of the rocks intermittently thrown up that caused the problem. Like a golf ball in size.
Good luck with stylish material.

#25 ·
I plan on acquiring a 2023 Grizzly SE. It comes with the Maxxis Zilla, which is not an ideal tire for us since we don't do any mudding. We use our ATVs for mostly casual trail riding in the woods and fields upstate NY. We also use them small back roads that are hard pack dirt. The days or riding "hard" are behind us. Yes the EPS model would make more sense but i cant get passed the colors for 2022 and 2023 so that's why i am considering the SE. I have heard mixed reviews on the Zillas as far as an all terrain tire and don't have any first hand experience. I have 2 options: 1- try out the Zillas for a while and see how it goes maybe they are fine and i can live with them. If not then i can explore replacing. 2- replace them at the get-go and sell the Zillas (or maybe the dealer will give me a credit) . If I went down this road, and wanted to use the existing OEM 14 inch rims what are my best value tire options? I have seen alot of recommendations for ITP Terracross, ITP Blackwater EVO, pit bull growlers and Kenda bearclaws HTR. Thoughts? Also, since all the OEM rims are the same does that mean i need to keep all 4 tires the same width or can i consider staggering with smaller tire upfront? If i need to keep the same then I think i would rather go with a 9 inch or 9.5 inch wide tire instead of 10 all around. Thanks in advance for your help.
I just purchased the XTR grizzly 700 with the same tires … I don’t mud much but I’m happy with them so far …. I wouldn’t do different size tires just run it the way it is ….

#28 ·
I plan on acquiring a 2023 Grizzly SE. It comes with the Maxxis Zilla, which is not an ideal tire for us since we don't do any mudding. We use our ATVs for mostly casual trail riding in the woods and fields upstate NY. We also use them small back roads that are hard pack dirt. The days or riding "hard" are behind us. Yes the EPS model would make more sense but i cant get passed the colors for 2022 and 2023 so that's why i am considering the SE. I have heard mixed reviews on the Zillas as far as an all terrain tire and don't have any first hand experience. I have 2 options:

1- try out the Zillas for a while and see how it goes maybe they are fine and i can live with them. If not then i can explore replacing.

2- replace them at the get-go and sell the Zillas (or maybe the dealer will give me a credit) . If I went down this road, and wanted to use the existing OEM 14 inch rims what are my best value tire options? I have seen alot of recommendations for ITP Terracross, ITP Blackwater EVO, pit bull growlers and Kenda bearclaws HTR. Thoughts?

Also, since all the OEM rims are the same does that mean i need to keep all 4 tires the same width or can i consider staggering with smaller tire upfront? If i need to keep the same then I think i would rather go with a 9 inch or 9.5 inch wide tire instead of 10 all around.

I think your way over thinking it. Guys are telling you that you won't get anything for the Zillas so you have a couple of options. Ride them till bald and enjoy 😉 i bought Zillas for my 2021 grizzly and wheels then sold the factory maxxis and black aluminum Yamaha wheels. I ride over everything and love my Zillas. Gravel, blacktop grass dirt and a little mud if it rains, I have no complaints or flats. So just ride it or spend a lot of money with Inflation for new tires. Enjoy 😉

#31 ·
I've made these for all of our machine. Mostly so water doesn't spray my leg and hip. They do keep rocks and gravel from hitting the rear of the foot well and the rear fender. I tried mud flaps like like found on a truck or car total wasted of time and $

Just a piece of 4" conveyor belting and SS bolts washers and nuts about 8 bucks per machine. The trailing edge needs to be notched to fit under the back edged of the foot well.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Light
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring Tints and shades

#38 ·
I've made these for all of our machine. Mostly so water doesn't spray my leg and hip. They do keep rocks and gravel from hitting the rear of the foot well and the rear fender. I tried mud flaps like like found on a truck or car total wasted of time and $

Just a piece of 4" conveyor belting and SS bolts washers and nuts about 8 bucks per machine. The trailing edge needs to be notched to fit under the back edged of the foot well.

View attachment 104590 View attachment 104591
I keep seeing set ups like this and have to say, it seems like a pretty great idea.

Everyone thats done it says its the hot ticket....now if I could just figure out where to find old conveyor belt material to make some of my own?

#33 ·
You guys and your "mudflaps"! Try riding a Raptor! :)

I am so happy with how little or no mud and water get on me riding the XT-R compared to the Raptor.
I love the Raptor and it was/is the ATV I always wanted, but the Grizzly's are right there and moving up, especially if the terrain is muddy, and as I get older.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

#37 ·
What part of D.F.W. area?
I moved from N. Richland Hills to Colorado 30+ years ago.
I've heard of the Raptor, never seen one on the mountain trails here but it could been done during the summer months on some trails. We do see them in the desert area down around 6000ft. near Montrose.
If you're in the area with the Raptor let's give it a run, I have 4x4 to pull you over the rock when needed :)

or you can go extra fast and hope to stay the trail,

Reactions: Patroller
#40 ·
I'm also considering selling the Raptor, very torn about that, but I can probably sell it for what I paid for it or more and use that money to pay off a small loan I have. Decisions, decisions! :confused:

#42 ·
I knew Wiley 30 years ago :)
Don't sell the raptor until you bring up here for a spin, I want to watch how it does in the rocks and rivers around here.
As we've high-jacked this thread;
2 wheel drive is good for most situations.
Due to my tire wear with 10% tread on the rears and 90% on the fronts I'm in 2 wheel most of the time, and with more ground clearance than the raptor I go over bigger rocks and through deeper ruts.
The reason a Grizzly is better here is the platform design.
I have a winch for the few days a year I ride in tough areas and bad conditions.
Also the platform allows me to pile stuff on racks in places the raptor doesn't have places.
Each model has different features, and the average riders is happy with the stock set-up for the intended conditions THEN some learn the stock machine is be better with modifications.
Here are three Grizzlies loaded for a 3 day trip into the desert of west Colorado.
We started from Ridgway an hour before sun-up to use the highway when the state patrol was at the donut shop, and we got 20 miles from town around sunrise.

this is the machines 10 miles further along the trail.

#44 ·
OP, sorry we took over your thread. Hopefully you got some good info on the tire situation before our highjacking😁

Ridgeway, you guys must have a group photographer along on your rides😄 I’m working on equipping my Grizz for long distance trips in the remote areas of northern Idaho and Montana. I’m still working on my “packing list” so I’ve gotta ask. What’s the full size shovel for? And how does you grizz do when loaded down like that? The rear racks on these bikes seem like they should have been made a bit stronger, but looks like yours is taking the weight.

#47 · (Edited)
Ridgeway, you guys must have a group photographer along on your rides😄 I’m working on equipping my Grizz for long distance trips in the remote areas of northern Idaho and Montana. I’m still working on my “packing list” so I’ve gotta ask. What’s the full size shovel for? And how does you grizz do when loaded down like that? The rear racks on these bikes seem like they should have been made a bit stronger, but looks like yours is taking the weight.
I took most of the photos seen, if I'm in a photos the short guy took it or the other tall guy used my camera.

I also use a tripod and delay timer some, the tripod is rolled in the towel.

The shovel is for 'just in case', say at night to make a fire pit or move rocks or logs. On that trip we planned to be out 3 days on a big looping ride (no back tracking) and every now and then on a loop we come upon something washed out or needing filled to get past. The shovel can be handy for filling the bottom of a washout to cross, or in camp at night.

When loaded the Griz wallows around like a fat Canned Ham. Loaded heavy its not nibble but that's not what the ride is about. On that trip (you'll need a map) I started from Ridgway heading west to meet up with the others 5 miles out of town before heading west to the south end of the Uncompahgre Plateau. We turned up the mountain headed northwest towards Grand Junction riding 136 miles the first day along the east side of the plateau. We camped the first night in the desert of Escalante Canyon, then headed to the Uranium fields the next day above Nucla, Colorado on the west side of the plateau by going around the north end of the plateau....the plateau is 92 miles long across the top.

The Griz was loaded for three days of travel without going to town or a pre-staged fuel dump. You can see the 5 gallons on the rear seat, there is a 2.5 gallon can inside each side of the rear seat box. The soft coolers hold meat and the front rack carried camp stuff. It was heavy but we were traveling a slower constant pace being careful and the Griz did just fine.

In this picture west of Delta along the river you can see the results of a flash flood.

See the debris washed against the tree? Yes at 6000ft. you can still have trouble with flooding on the way to the desert.

The racks are stronger than most imagine, I think many guess at facts without testing. All told there wasn't 100 pounds total on the rack as some of the weight was on the rear seat.

Most members don't go out for days needing everything carried on their griz for the time gone. Most members showing heavy weight generally are out for a day carrying chains saws or other tools.

In days past we had members posting pictures of elk loaded on their Grizzly, then the Griz was driven loaded up ramps into the back of a truck. These things are tough, the trick is to know what you need to carry then plan on how to load it, and don't consider pretty when loading :)

I found this old picture from YEPSED, from the 'Good Old Days'
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#49 ·
Ridgeway, sounds like you guys have made some epic ATV trips. I bought the Grizz for exactly that kind of use. I’m planning for 6 gallons of gas, 2-3 gallons of water, food, camping gear, tools, etc. I think I will have about 100lbs on the rear rack as well along with another 80lbs or so on the front rack. If it can handle an elk, I guess I’ll be just fine! Debating weather my tripod and “real” camera will come along.

#51 · (Edited)
Saying our trip(s) are epic causes me to laugh, this is a big country that lets you be 'As Big' as you have balls to be, and for most 'Big' equates to danger made-up in their head; here's more detail about what happened on day one of the 236 mile trip above, the head game of danger and screaming and shitting your pants when danger was no where around.

Planning for the trip leaving on a Friday started the previous Monday after Hearing on the radio news a railroad bridge was being repaired/updated so the tracks through Delta, Colorado would be closed for the day. Again you'll need a map to understand the area of perceived danger.

The news report was important as the tracks bring Coal from the high mines above Paonia, Colorado east of Delta then go west high above the River, through the high desert through the Escalante canyon area. Look at the map to know the only way through this area other than the State highway or floating the river is through the desert riding the rails heading to Grand Junction. On google maps scroll in using the satellite view to see the cliffs the track follow high above the water. I had always wanted to do the loop around the plateau but there are many trains a day using the rails so the chances of hitting a gap between trails while in the narrows made a trip like this unthinkable even to me until!
I heard the radio so looked in the paper and the tracks were going to be closed the next Friday, so I started planning a trip that so far has been a once and done use of the rails by an a.t.v. (I know there are rules against this, but I like to live and make stories so). The news was learned on Tuesday and the next day I was over at Mike's (the short guy before pictures) and the tall guy was there. They had something they wanted to do the next weekend and wanted me there so I told them I was going to busy, which then required me to tell them I going riding, but I didn't tell them about the route using the rails :) I know, I could have told them but decided to let them learn on their own......

The day started with the sunrise pictures, then we saw the elk pictures at 11,000ft.,

then we started into the desert area to watch antelope bucks in rut:

before descending a rock face to a pasture cut by the rails entering the river canyon.

What happened next happens only once or twice in your life if you're lucky, you get to see shear terror on your buddies faces when there is nothing dangerous in sight! We got across the pasture below the elevated track bed entering the canyon cut and the tall guy started to swallow hard looking back at me knowing the short guy would ask where next. (Another part of the story is the short guy's wife was going to meet us in the Escalante with their pop-up camper and her a.t.v. trailered before we left his house. She had a job so left home after work, by the highway she only did 60 miles.)
With her planning to meet us in a designated area, without cell service I told him we had to go that way because there was no time to back track to a highway and meet her as agreed, and she would be pissed if we didn't show up, she's a mean'ol woman and was the scariest part of the 3 day trip :)

After we had a refreshing beverage at the bottom of the incline I rode up showing them it could be done, then used the winch to pull the other two up. It turned out these were welded rails much taller than the rails I remembered when A KID. The rails barely fit under the stock 550s Stretch and Shorty were riding, and it turned out the rails weren't more than a few inches wider than the Grizzlies. I could easily straddle the rails while those two had to run between the rails going slower, all the time with the thought of a train barreling up from behind, or steaming in from around the bend just ahead.

I took off with stretch close behind, with Shorty screaming wanting to go back, but not wanting to be the group pussy. I never knew if he was scared of dying by train or going home to his wife left in the desert, but I do remember laughing knowing there was no train coming through that day. As bad as life was for Shorty, Stretch was just as scared. They seemed to have something to live for, something not yet done by the look on their face, but they wasn't going to be the group pussy.

I don't remember the distance we traveled by rail but it was long enough. We had gone maybe a mile when I saw signaling hardware bolted to the ties between the rails with a signal pole next to the tracks. The next problem was the hardware didn't look very strong for an a.t.v. to drive over, and I damn sure didn't want an alarm to go off in an office somewhere with a phone call to the sheriff. I stopped, looked and determined we had to ride back over the rail to go to the bottom of the bed next to the cliff the bed was cut into, to get around the signal switch and pole to then go back up to the rails to continue. Stretch was sitting there waiting for Shorty to arrive when I got on my 660 to go around the signal switch, and it was at that time
Shorty saw his next problem. He looked down to his right into the bottom I used, a 45 degree angle bed ending at a vertical wall of the cliff rising above our heads, or to his right down a 45 degree angle to the river water flowing below, a hill side covered in brush that might have stopped a machine from falling. He didn't like his choices, and when he stopped screaming (I had only moved 40ft. down the tracks so heard him well) I said he could turn around and go back, which again reminded him of his wife, so he followed me and Stretch around the signal switch and signal light pole:)

At that obstacle Stretch took the lead, passing me at the bottom of the bed. He got to the rail and decided his best chance for survival was to ride straddling the rail as fast as he could to get the 'f' out of there, and he did it leaving me and Shorty behind, it was during this time snot blew from my nose with tears blocking my view. It took me a few minutes to winch Shorty up to the rail and the entire time I could hear Stretch's 550 scream next to the cliff toward a right hander bending steel out of sight. As I got back on my 660 I looked up to see the 550 tail light on. Stretch considered for a short time a train around the bend, then he said 'f' it as he wasn't going back cause there could be a train coming up behind us. I'll tell you about what I told Stretch of this 'running off' in a minute, as I wasn't mad knowing we were safe, but I did give him more to dream about.

Anyway, we rode a few miles further until out of the canyon and into rolling desert sagebrush, there was no trail proving nobody else had pulled off that run. We got to camp just as the wife was pulling in, and in camp later I told Stretch it was Ok that he rode off to leave us, as he was far down the rails that if there was a train hit him Shorty and I would have heard the whistle giving us more time to get off the tracks. I thanked him for his selflessness and riding point.

To end this story, Shorty died a year later: his handle here was chuckhole and he still trusted me, I guess he like riding more than he wanted to be with the wife.
Stretch was a good friend until cancer took him last year. I did tell him a few years ago of the bridge repair, and I waited until I 'knew' he didn't have a pistol on him!

Epic rides, not so much.
All that's needed is desire to go somewhere, the time to make the plan and a Grizz to make the trip without failing you. Oh, I didn't take self incriminating photos in the canyon. Use the map if you want a good laugh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.