Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is almost time for me to purchase my new Grizzly. The dealership near me has only 2018's in stock and I have my choice between the EPS in Yamaha Blue or Matte Carbon for $9900 or I can get the LE in Alpine white for $1000 more. The extra cash seems a bit high for heated amenities and a windshield. Are the paint and graphics that much more durable? The tires and rims are the same at this dealership and all the mechanical specs are the same except the extra 20lbs on the LE which I assume is windshield and added heating elements. My gut tells me get the EPS and buy the other items like heated grips and seat (I don't really care for a windshield). Any thoughts on the difference in models is appreciated.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If money is not an issue go for the white. It’s a sweet looking ride. I just bought an LE and like the windshield. Very easy on/off. I was riding a few weeks back and the warmers were nice to have. Either way, you can’t go wrong. I added a Viper Max winch. Bought it through MotoAlliance. If you’re looking for a winch tell them your a grizzlycentral member and they will give you a 10% discount.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well, load the cannons boys! We're bout to have us a battle. For me, I would go with the matte carbon and get the other stuff separate. Let's think about this, you get one sweet looking Grizz and can get the best heated accessories on the market for $500. That's more than you need. Save the cash for a winch, a EHS air box mod, and maybe a cargo box. Let's be reasonable.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Your gut is right. Definitely get the eps. The other stuff can come later. Besides, you’ll probably need (or want) tires before you need heated accessories. And you’ll probably get all that manufacturer add on stuff cheaper on your own also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been going back and forth on the Carbon and blue and white. I also know I am going to be tricking the quad out a bit :). Already been looking at a clutch kits and a few other mods. The main firen that I will be riding with has a 2016 Polaris 1000xp with the hunter package. The last Can Am I rode was a brand new 2016 850 Outlander was great fun in a straight line but had more body roll than a 70's Cadillac in the corners so that cut them out. Always loved Yamaha's. Had 3 yamaha motorcycles that were wonderful to me over many years. Test rode the Polaris and the Grizz and was a bit torn until I started watching some of the maintenance videos on the 2 lol. That made it an easy choice (not to mention my friends Popo has already been in the shop twice).

·
Registered
800 Posts
Don't throw away cash at kits. Get a machined sheave, a purple spring, and fly over the trails!

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
X2. Search clutch mods or machined sheave here or on google and you’ll find plenty of threads on what you need. Avoid kits. They contain parts you just don’t need.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Just take little steps, get your Grizz first, the painted plastic does scratch up but really shines when cleaned up, eps is a must your arms and shoulders will thank you at the end of a long ride, protect your investment, get a full set of aluminum skids, mine came with the warn 3000lb winch and has got me out off some bad spots, I was glad I had one, the rest of upgrades can come in time after some seat time, you will get lots of help modding your Grizz from the guy's on this great site.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Oh Boy!! For sure, get the Carbon, EPS, add the heated stuff for a couple hundred yourself later, in my opinion! I think that Carbon with the right set of wheels and upgraded tires is the coolest, right up there with camo!!

·
Premium Member
10,621 Posts
Is carbon color faster than blue? To bad the fast green machines are gone:)
For mods, get a winch for the times you'll be stuck with the stock tires, then add O.G.'s to prevent the stuck situations.
Then add some shim, a purple spring, a machined primary and a cut cam plate to go faster on the O.G.'s and be stuck again.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
If the color is a big deal for you. Over time camo looks the best. Camo hides the scratch and fading better than all the other colors.
I have had camo on 3 machines. First one was a used 660 camo. The latest are the Kodi's only because they were the best deal I found. I would have been happy with green or blue. Rides the same!
I had a blue 700 and green 450 griz cause I'd don't care about the color they were the best deals. If I save $500 on the color I can spend it on fuel.

If you are handy forgo all the factory/dealer installed extras. You can buy and install that stuff for less than half the price.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If the color is a big deal for you. Over time camo looks the best. Camo hides the scratch and fading better than all the other colors.
I have had camo on 3 machines. First one was a used 660 camo. The latest are the Kodi's only because they were the best deal I found. I would have been happy with green or blue. Rides the same!
I had a blue 700 and green 450 griz cause I'd don't care about the color they were the best deals. If I save $500 on the color I can spend it on fuel.

If you are handy forgo all the factory/dealer installed extras. You can buy and install that stuff for less than half the price.
I have no doubt the camo hides stuff the best. I love the carbon though. Anyway, I have heard of camo rubbing off where your legs sit... Is this true?

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
I have no doubt the camo hides stuff the best. I love the carbon though. Anyway, I have heard of camo rubbing off where your legs sit... Is this true?
Not on mine I stand a lot but it does rub off on trees. I think I could touch up the camo if it bothered me. The 05 camo wore like iron. The green and blue got white clouds or stress spots when banged around. The painted rigs get crazed or cracking along with the scratches. Got a couple riders with that fancy midnight red and one with the silver paint. All three look pretty beat up.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I will PM you as not hijack the thread, lol. Have a couple other questions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to know on the Camo. I wasn't sure on the "automotive style" being more durable or just for advertising the different SE and LE models. Not as worried about the color but I do try to keep my machines in good condition and well maintained. I have looked at hydro dipping as an option later on if I really want to get customized. I think they all look amazing when new but know they will get a bit beat up over time on the trails. I rode on many quads in the past but spent way more time more recently on 2 wheels so it will be a fun adjustment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts