Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2160 lb. Capacity 1-3/4 in. x 15 ft. Heavy Duty Tow Strap

Since there are those that use an old seat belt in place of their winch line, why not use a cheap tow strap cut in 1/2 that already has built in hooks? Buy a 20' 1-ton+ tow strap with the gated hooks, cut in 1/2, use a lighter to keep the cut end from fraying... a two plow straps with built in hooks for about $10.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, out plowing yesterday and my Warn snow plow synthetic rope broke. I could have re-spliced it but chose to try out the idea of using the Heavy Duty Tow strap.

I didn't want to drive down the hill to Harbor Freight so went to a local place instead. They had a single tow strap with gates on the hooks that would work but at 3x the cost. Bought it and cut it in half.

I used a lighter to "seal" the ends. Then piece of duct tape to attach to the winch. That was a no go and even with it being wound tightly on the winch spool, the strap would just spin when trying to lift this heavy 60" front mount. My old plow would have been no issue.

Had to remove the strap and cut the end to where about 5 inches had one side left with 1/2" of the strap... simulating a "rope". Pushed that through the spindle so it could be compressed to hold by the rest of the strap. This did work to lift my heavier plow.

I still want to refine a bit and will remove the strap and shorten it some. Currently, it is 10'. I want to shorten it so the wound strap will not be a thick on the spindle. There is no rubbing but if the wound strap is not as thick, the up down movement will decrease slightly. The plow blade goes up and down pretty quick right now, just want to slow it down a bit.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
If your not a big fan of your wife you could always take the seat belt out of her car ;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
The plow blade goes up and down pretty quick right now, just want to slow it down a bit.
That is the problem with going directly from the winch to the plow. If you run through a pulley and back to the plow frame or rack strap you cut the speed in half and get MUCH better blade control. That is the only reason I still use a rope, I get better blade control while raising and lowering enabling me to build snow pile ramps instead of a pile that is in the way for the rest of the season.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your not a big fan of your wife you could always take the seat belt out of her car ;)
haha, we get along fine... that is, until I probably ask to go to Moab this spring where then she will be saying, "another vacation for you by yourself?"

Maybe I should preempt that conversation by buying her a plane ticket to go see her friend. :lala:

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the problem with going directly from the winch to the plow. If you run through a pulley and back to the plow frame or rack strap you cut the speed in half and get MUCH better blade control. That is the only reason I still use a rope, I get better blade control while raising and lowering enabling me to build snow pile ramps instead of a pile that is in the way for the rest of the season.
Yes, and as you already point out, can't use a standard pulley with a strap. I might be able to come up with some thing as a pulley would probably also lessen the torque from the current angle and direct pull from the winch.

I am really surprised how much more torque is required with this larger and heavier plow blade... but probably more of the issue now is the angle from the front mount. The mid-mount I had was a non-issue for raising/lowering.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Walley_eye, that is basically what I have setup using the cut 2" tow strap. But, as mentioned, the plow goes up/down too quickly to my liking, same with MORSNO, so I am looking into using a pulley.

I believe I could rig a pulley up using something like a boat trailer keel roller: https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE32100G.html

I could somehow attach this to the upper bar of my HD front bumper. Then route the tow strap from winch, over the keel roller and then connect to the plow blade standard connection.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing with that boat roller.

Not sure how I would mount it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Well, out plowing yesterday and my Warn snow plow synthetic rope broke. I could have re-spliced it but chose to try out the idea of using the Heavy Duty Tow strap.
Did you have a protective nylon sleeve over the synthetic rope, or was it contacting your fairlead directly? I ask cause I just switched to the synthetic rope setup, but have a nylon sleeve over it. No snow yet to try it though.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not have the nylon protective sleeve on the plow rope. I am not of the belief the sleeve will protect the plow rope from breaking as I understood those sleeves were meant more to help with abrasion over rocks and such when winching. I do have a sleeve over my standard synthetic winch rope and from using the winch I don't see sleeve staying in place while plowing. My fairlead is a Hawse type.

However, certainly give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The sleeve on mine came sewn at both ends so it doesn't slide out of place. Will see how it holds up, if we ever get any snow here...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I should have also mentioned that after breaking at least one Warn plow rope a year in the past, I bought a much heavier rope and use that for plowing.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up ordering this version:

CE Smith Offset Spool Roller Assembly for Boat Trailers - Galvanized Steel w/ Black Rubber - 5" CE Smith Boat Trailer Parts CE32150G

I will drill two more holes so I can use U-Bolts to bolt the keel roller on the bottom side of the top crossbar of the HD front bumper. I'm going to attach a thin piece of rubber to the bottom of the keel roller bracket to where it makes the connection with the bumper crossbar.

This should work well. It will slow down the plow blade and lessen the angle... I'm expecting much better results than the current setup using the 2" wide tow strap. This will also be easy to remove for riding outside of plowing season.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did the same thing the OP talked about in the first post. I think its about a 3" ratchet strap that was rated for like 5000 lb. I cut a piece about 6' in length, duct taped the end to my spool, and winched it in. I've been using this set up for 2 years now with a 60" blade and it works perfect. It hasn't slipped at all for me

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is what I used but instead of mounting the roller to the ATV I mounted it to my plow, Went from the winch to thru the pulley back up to the front rack with a quick disconnect. 2016 Grizz with the front mount. I adapted a blade off of a old scrap simplicity tractor. A little heavy but it cleans my trails really well. No snow yet and I am not complaining about that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any pics of that roller setup? Have you had any problems with the strap staying on the roller when dropping the plow blade all the way down and getting slack on the strap?

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hold tight, looks like I may be getting the plow setup today so I can snap some pics later. I do not have any current pics of the setup but it works really well with that boat roller attached to my front bumper... it is a Yamaha HD front bumper though, not the OEM. The strap never comes off the roller even if the strap goes slack.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pictures are now attached.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts