Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to get some better skid plates for my 2019 grizzly. I am considering either the Ricochet brand or the aluminum set from Yamaha. Who has bought either of these and what are your opinions of each? Which was easier to install?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I looked at aluminum skid plates for my '21 but eventually went with a plastic set from Iron Baltic and i'm glad I did. They slide over obstacles a lot smoother than the aluminum ones do on my '00.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,357 Posts
A riding buddy has the Yamaha Al skids on his 2021 Grizz and seems to like them as they connect to the OEM location where the OEM skids attach.

Me, I've been using Ricochet for many years now, had their AL skids on my 2007 Grizzly 700 and transferred the main skids to my 2014 but did need to purchase new a-arm skids as they are a different size. I also opted to go with the Ricochet plastic overlays to make the sliding better over rocks. Having the plastic overlays does not avoid the potential for having to pound the Al skids back into shape from time to time. Taking off the Ricochet skids is not overly complex but it is also not a 5 minute job.

I've seen the Iron Baltic Plastic HDPE skids on a 2017 Grizzly and they were very nice. Those are 10mm thick and look very tough/strong but I didn't look to see how they connect.

If I were in need of replacement skids for my current Grizzly or if I bought a brand new Grizzly, I would most certainly opt for the Iron Baltic Plastic HDPE skids.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
90 Posts
I have the factory yamaha aluminium skids, not tried anything else but regular steel skid plates on trucks.

Saved a control arm already from an hidden rock in tall grass.

For the looks, IMO they can't be beat. They also protect well the areas they protect, and prepare 2-3 hours to mount them for the first time.

I'd venture to say that 10MM HDPE will protect more than the approx 0.1" thick AL skid plates, but they might fail easier in the attachment areas under a large front impactt, but that is just an estimation. They also protect the underneath of the foot wells where the yamaha aluminum ones don't :(. already had to fiberglass repair a foot well due to a big rock tearing the back of it. I don't know, though, if the other set would have saved it.

Yamaha pros: looks good
lighter than the 35-53 lbs of the HDPE set

yamaha cons: high price $$$$
no protection under foot wells.

I LOVE the look of the OEM yamaha but if I were to do it again, I'd go for the 10MM HDPE

·
Registered
254 Posts
I run ricochet’s aluminum on my 01,04,16,17 kodiaks . The 16,17 are belly A-arm , foot well and we love them ,

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I looked at the Yamaha's Alum and the Ricochet's. I went with the Yamaha just for convenience. They use the exact same mounting points and I take them off quite frequently and it doesn't take any time. RR has his Ricochet's and he's impressed with them and can't argue, they are heavy duty and take a lot of abuse. I only have the belly pans, not A-arm or footwell skids as I don't' feel that I need them. RR does but he rides a lot more aggressive then I do.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have Ricochet aluminum on my other quads. So far just added the footwell Ricochets to my Grizzly. I had a big stick take out that area on another quad. It looks like the same things could happen on this Grizzy. That was just on a rough fire-trail

The Baltic's are interesting

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
90 Posts
added the footwell to my grizzly also (ricochet) after damaging one of mine. Repaired it using epoxy/fiberglass and fortunately the metal frame wasn't hit.

Put the full OEM yamaha skid plates to my girlfriend kodiak 450, but also didn't include the footwell and being lazy we didn't shop for an alternative. One of the footwell metal subframe is already damaged by a big rock. Will have to redress and weld to re-inforce. Hope the ricochet will fit the OEM yamaha without too much modification.

This to say that I recommend the footwell skid plates if you do any higher speed trail riding. I just don't get it why Yamaha don't include it in their sets.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a set of aluminum A-arm skids. They did a wonderful job of catching mud and snow to the extent the debris would rub on the CV joint boots. I drilled a pattern of one inch holes through them to no avail. So far the OEM plastic A-arm guards are doing a fine job of protecting the boots. Plus they slide over rocks and logs a bit easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts