Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So been reading threads all over here so forgive me if this problem was already asked somewhere but I have a Diff lock issue in my 08 700 grizzly.

You can hear the servo shifting into 4wd and Diff lock and the gauge indicates the same but it does not lock the diff. I pulled the servo back and shifted the rail manually and it moves smoothly into 4wd and Diff lock positions with a little wheel rotation to get everything lined up.

With the rear tires on the ground:

the tires move independently fine in 2wd. No noise
In 4wd, one tire rolls forward, the other backwards which is also normal, no noise.
In Diff lock the tires still do the same also with no noise but with the rear tires on the ground you shouldn't be able to roll them at all in Diff lock correct?

Wondering if I have something stripped in the front diff that is not engaging the locker? I'm assuming there is a collar or something that engages the diff lock correct?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think, not sure. But the clutch has to be engaged for the front and back to be linked as your hinting at? Just guessing. lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
So been reading threads all over here so forgive me if this problem was already asked somewhere but I have a Diff lock issue in my 08 700 grizzly.

You can hear the servo shifting into 4wd and Diff lock and the gauge indicates the same but it does not lock the diff. I pulled the servo back and shifted the rail manually and it moves smoothly into 4wd and Diff lock positions with a little wheel rotation to get everything lined up.

In 4wd, one tire rolls forward, the other backwards which is also normal, no noise.
In Diff lock the tires still do the same also with no noise but with the rear tires on the ground you shouldn't be able to roll them at all in Diff lock correct?

Wondering if I have something stripped in the front diff that is not engaging the locker? I'm assuming there is a collar or something that engages the diff lock correct?
As you spin the front tires in Diff Lock - can you see the front drive shaft turning? Maybe that is your problem- stripped splines or coupler on the front drive shaft.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Reactions: oleblue22

·
Vendor
717 Posts

Correct, in diff lock, front tires should not roll when the front end is off the ground and the back tires are on the ground. There is a collar that slides over and engages another set of teeth on the carrier to engage diff lock. Your shift fork could very well be bent and not allowing the collar to slide completely over. You can remove the shift fork on some of the diffs by removing the small allen head cap screw to the left of the slide rail. If it doesn't have that cap screw, you'll have to open the case up on the front diff. Shine a light inside and you may be able to see what's going on or if your shift fork looks bent. If all is good in there, look at your driveshaft, are the splines stripped, any slack in there?
See what you find here and let us know. We can help you troubleshoot further.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Driveshaft is good as 4wd works fine. I'm thinking your on point with it being a bent fork as I'm not seeing metal in the oil to indicate stripped or broken stuff but I'm the second owner and it's never worked so who knows maybe the pieces got flushed out previously.

Going to dig into it more and will report back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So found my problem. Shift fork is bent. So next question is how do I get the shaft out it rides on? Older models had an allen plug but this one looks like they just mashed the hole so it can't come back out. You can see the pin slide back and forth from the inside as per the attached pic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also found the teeth are chewed about a 1/4" in. Can this piece be replaced?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just drilled the hole out enough to get the pin out. I'll ding it up with a punch or chisel when I put it back in.

It still gets full engagement in Diff lock even with the teeth chewed up on the diff side as the collar is still good. Leave it to engineers to make the cheap easily replaced collar harder than the diff material.

Looked at a couple different parts places and can't find the shift fork. Anyone know if you can buy one? The teeth on this one are fixin to break off the arm so I can't really bend it to straighten and don't really want to weld it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tweaked the fork a bit and Diff lock engages but due to the stripped teeth not by much. Gonna have to do for now and I guess just not use diff lock.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Also found the teeth are chewed about a 1/4" in. Can this piece be replaced?
It's hard to tell from the photo. But are you sure those teeth are chewed? If I remember correctly I think those teeth are machined like that. They are beveled to allow for alignment and engagement of the diff lock gears....same principle as sockets are beveled to allow them to slide onto nuts/bolts easier.

But I could be completely wrong on this. It's been a while since I last had a diff apart.

·
Vendor
717 Posts
You did it just like you should. You have to drill a tad to get that slider out on the diffs without the allen head plugs in there. Hard to get just a shift fork without buying the housing too from Yamaha but I was gonna recommend just straightening the one you have which sounds like you did. Those teeth that are stripped, that's your ring carrier and you typically have to buy the entire assembly from Yamaha as they don't sell just the carrier. We have just the carrier if you need one. We use them for our Grabber diff lock kits on the kodiak 700's. If you need one just let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's hard to tell from the photo. But are you sure those teeth are chewed? If I remember correctly I think those teeth are machined like that. They are beveled to allow for alignment and engagement of the diff lock gears....same principle as sockets are beveled to allow them to slide onto nuts/bolts easier.

But I could be completely wrong on this. It's been a while since I last had a diff apart.
Oh ya they are chewed up. Not sure how much spline they took off but I would like to believe that there is supposed to be more than just 1/4" of engagement in diff lock as that's all it has now when the fork is all the way over against the housing. If it had all the teeth it would have about 1/2" or more which seems more likely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did it just like you should. You have to drill a tad to get that slider out on the diffs without the allen head plugs in there. Hard to get just a shift fork without buying the housing too from Yamaha but I was gonna recommend just straightening the one you have which sounds like you did. Those teeth that are stripped, that's your ring carrier and you typically have to buy the entire assembly from Yamaha as they don't sell just the carrier. We have just the carrier if you need one. We use them for our Grabber diff lock kits on the kodiak 700's. If you need one just let us know.
Right on. I straightened the fork and gave it about what I figure it should have for a bend and the arm almost hits the housing when the teeth do for the servo so it's probably as good as it's going to get.
Unfortunately I just threw it all together and got everything but the tires on now lol but what's the carrier worth?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts