Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my friends 2003 Grizzly 660 today to compare it to my 2014 Grizzly 550 with power steering to see how much harder the 660 would steer. To my surprise the 660 turns a lot easier at any speed than my power steering 550. I have read the old post about the power steering but was not expecting this result. I will say my 550 tracks a lot easier than the 660 without wandering around. The power steering light is not on but it makes you wonder if the power steering is really doing anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can remove the p/s fuse and take it for a spin around the yard to see what it's like when it's not working. Just a suggestion

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
^X2.

Variables like tires, tire pressure, toe in/out all affect effort a lot also

·
Registered
587 Posts
Interesting. I'd do like suggested and pull the fuse. The diff in my 16 power steering and my 04 660 was night and day diff!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I rode my friends 2003 Grizzly 660 today to compare it to my 2014 Grizzly 550 with power steering to see how much harder the 660 would steer. To my surprise the 660 turns a lot easier at any speed than my power steering 550. I have read the old post about the power steering but was not expecting this result. I will say my 550 tracks a lot easier than the 660 without wandering around. The power steering light is not on but it makes you wonder if the power steering is really doing anything.
my first utility was a 2003 660 , bought a 2007 700 , first quad with power steering , the fall of 2006. The difference was Unbelievable ! After 9 years riding power steering , if I hop on a quad with out it ,, my first instinct is it feels broken , and VERY hard to turn.. Not to mention the kickbacks that I forget completely about.. ouch
My 2007 Grizzly 400 , with std. alum rims and std dunlop tires is WAY harder to steer than my 2016 Grizz 700 with 27'' mudlite XTR tires on it. I find the 400 slamming my arms around when I hit logs or ruts , and the power steering of the 700's stop that..
Alot of guys think they don't need it , because they can turn the bars just fine ,, but its the feedback and kickbacks from the trail that wear you down the most , and where Power steering is a major advantage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know, I wasn't interested in power steering at all. Just happened that my 550 was the only used one in decent driving distance and had PS.

What a difference it makes! I agree with POHLHAMMER about the anti-kickback properties of the PS system. I do think it feels a little light at high speed, but I really like it and am pretty happy that my quad happened to have it. Some of the kick backs can be brutal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts