Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to this forum as I have been a Canam guy since 2007. I had a 660 Yamaha Grizzly prior to 2007 but that bike constantly overheated when plowing the driveway..... so I had gotten rid of it. Once I had ridden my 2007 Canam Outlander 800 I was hooked. That bike was a great machine for me up until 2017 when it met an unfortunate demise off a cliff. Lol. I then bought a 2017 Canam Outlander 1000R XT-P which I did not like as much as the older machine. The older machine had a lower stance and handled much, much better. I am now looking to leave Canam and am searching to see what my next machine will be.

Several things that both Canams had in common that I hated are:

1) Expensive price tags
2) Both bikes had lousy suspension
3) Both bikes had lousy clutching
4) Both bikes had lousy brakes
5) Both bikes had very poor bushings.... no matter how many times you grease the machine they'd squawk constantly
6) Canam rebrands Warn winches to their own "degraded" specs (poorer quality winches by far)
7) The Gen 2 was very tippy
8) The Gen 1 had a very poor charging system and weak frame

Items 1 through 6 are what really pissed me off about the brand (both Canams suffered from this and my brothers 2014 Outlander 1000 is no different). I should not have to spend $16,000+ Canadian on a machine and then shell out thousands more to fix what should have been done right in the first place! I never had any of these problems on my old Grizzly. Aside from being severely underpowered (old carbureted 660) and overheating..... it was a comfortable and reliable machine.

My questions to members on this forum is this...... Have any of you gone from owning a Canam to owning the newer fuel injected Grizzlies and were you happy that you switched? What is it about the switch that you enjoyed the most?

·
Grizzled
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I went from Yamaha to a new outlander 1000r xt and back to the Grizzly. I guess it depends on your standards and what your using it for, but I found the Can-Am to be mediocre and relying on brute force to overcome its extensive list of shortcomings. I was not sad one bit when it left and have no intentions of purchasing another can-am product.

If your looking to ride fire roads or things of that nature, then the v-twin is hard to pass up. What do I enjoy more about the Yamaha? I really enjoying riding the machine rather than constantly working on or performing maintenance. The Yamaha refinement and quality is excellent in that everything is carefully designed. The plastics are easy to fit and the fasteners aren't in atrociously difficult areas to reach. It shifts smoothly, the clutching is smooth, the brakes are impressive, etc.

The Grizzly is just a well built, highly refined machine.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went from a 2011 Grizzly to a Can-am Commander, back to a 2019 Grizzly SE. I cheated a bit in that I also bought a 2019 Renegade for my son to drive at the same time. Main reason for the Grizzly was reliability. I just know that everytime I get on it, it will work. I got it so I could tow the Renegade out of the woods (although I hope I never have to). Things I like about the Grizzly:

1) Reliability
2) It just feels solid - no squeaks, rattles, etc... (the Renegade squeaks like a 20 year old mattress)
3) Weight - The power-to-weight ratio is excellent. Makes it more nimble in the tighter trails and not as easy to get completely stuck. Can say same about Renegade.
4) Looks - It just looks mean to me.
5) Mud coverage - I have the over-fenders, but even without I doubt I'd get totally slathered in mud like my kids.
6) Sound - Yes, I like the sound. While the Rene 1000 sounds awesome, the Grizzly sounds to me like my old John Deere, which is a workhorse and just sounds good when I'm crossing a creek or trying to go through a mud hole. I feel like the Grizzly is a workhorse in the same regard. I tell folks it's like my little tractor.

I like both my Grizzly and my Renegade for very different reasons.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts