Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today and yesterday that starting in temps 50-60F it required two start attempts.

I did let fuel pump prime and for display to end the light show.

Even on my old 2004.5 Sportsman 700 Liberty motor with its old Bosch EFI system haven’t had to do this before…nor the Subaru motor in my ‘13 Sportsman 550

Thoughts? Obviously I will take into dealer if it becomes a big deal…just wondering if some early sign of a valve or fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
470 Posts
In the dead of winter it is normal for two cranks, summer not so much on my 2017 Griz. Depending on miles on the machine; adjusting the valves is the most likely remedy it is bothers you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2022 grizzly 700 does the same thing. I have 56 miles on mine and Iv had it a few weeks. It also requires 2 starts only on the first start of the day after that it’s fine. I was told it’ll go away on its own

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
My privious 2009 550 grizzly (based of the 686 engine ) did the same thing . Often stalled immidietly after cold starts. It's now @ 10 000 miles and still running strong

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Somewhat common "thing".
These EFI systems don't have a priming shot to add fuel during starting. The fuel mapping seems to be programmed for a very lean start. I'm guessing this is related to emissions. I always blip the throttle at start so I haven't really experienced the start stall.
Some sensors that seem to be involved that may be part of the "thing". When the key is turned on the ECU checks the signals from the sensors among them-
The Throttle positioning sensor,
Coolant temperature and Air temperature sensor to verify if this will be a cold or hot start.
Air pressure sensor. It senses the barometric pressure at the machines location.
The ECU uses this data to adjust the mixture to compensate for the these variables.
The fuel pressure, is controlled by the regulator but it is a factor.

In my unqualified opinion the reason/s the start stall issues kinda go away after a 1000 or 2 miles of riding on is,
Crud and varnish coat the Throttle body possibly holding the butterfly valve open just a touch telling the ECU to send a little more fuel.
The air temperature sensor is in the flow of the fuel and collects the same sort of varnish that the TB collects, again sending a false reading to the ECU. If the reading indicates a lower temperature causing ECU will send more fuel.
At the same time these false readings, from one or more of these sensors may have the opposite effect causing hard hot starts. I do experience some hard hot starts.

There is also the possibly, considering the state of affairs with Mfg.'s around the world, that some of the sensors, TB and ECU's are out of spec.

My suggested remedies are, don't use old fuel, don't use high octane fuel, don't use winter fuel in the summer or vice versa, Do check the sensors (wires, connections, the AP sensor hose connection), let the fuel pump prime, blip the throttle a little before and/or during the crank up.

There must be more ideas and answers out there.

My Unqualified 2.062¢

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
These ain't Subaru(s) so will act different and with very low miles you haven't got to know the machine.
It's when it doesn't re-fire on the second start that you have a problem.
Several local buddies ride e.f.i. Grizzlies of varying year models and all do the 'run for a second or two' then die on a cold start, and all fire again on the second start.
These are low compression engines, engineered for low octane gas. We use 85 octane with corn here without problem.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
This includes the 708, 700, 550. It may also include the new 450's.

·
Premium Member
5,871 Posts
I have owned four different Grizzly’s, some required the throttle blip, then crank, some didn’t, don’t know why, just rolled with the throttle blip if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts