Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I had my first crash yesterday. Lost traction around a corner on a logging road and went into the bush. I was launched off the machine and went flying into the woods, somehow missing the ash tree in front of me and landing on a pile of leaves. I'm extremely lucky. The bad news is my 450 Grizzly smoked a rock. The impact happened on my plow mount on the left hand side. After being winched out of the woods, I was able to ride out without noticing any problems with the machine.

The front grill guard is bent as is the lower A-arm and plow mount plate (plow still mounts, but the blade is now on a slight angle). Those are bolt on parts so I'm not really concerned.Upon further inspection, it appears that I pushed the frame in a bit. I have no idea how bad the damage really is, so I'm asking you for your help before I go to the dealer to have an assessment done for $100.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
I would take it apart myself, replace the bent parts myself and inspect for further damage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I want to do. I have a year to make a claim with the insurance company. My main concern is the frame. Does it look bad in the pictures I've posted? Other problem is I don't know exactly what to look for. The rest of the frame looks OK (no paint cracks or obvious signs of damage).

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
I couldn't really see from the pictures.
To close and there isn't enough field of view but to far away and you can't see.
No wrinkled paint is about all there is to see, and slight bends may not be seen.
Once you replace the obvious damage driving it can expose unseen problems like in the steering.
Why wait to make the claim? Unless the deductible is more than the parts.
Its a tough call you have to just make and go on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reason I am waiting is because I am going overseas next week and won't be able to deal with it while I'm away. Deductible is only $250. No worries there. The damn front bar is almost $500 here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Does it ride straight ? Is anything cracked or just bent .. a straight edge and tape measure coupled with some patients will tell you alot

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Reason I am waiting is because I am going overseas next week and won't be able to deal with it while I'm away. Deductible is only $250. No worries there. The damn front bar is almost $500 here in Canada.
Got it.
Here I would start the claim for the money difference and get it done later.
Look into working a deal so the shop can have the parts here when needed later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it ride straight ? Is anything cracked or just bent .. a straight edge and tape measure coupled with some patients will tell you alot
It rode fine after the crash. I drove out about 30 kms at normal driving speeds and everything felt normal. I'm just concerned the frame has been weakened to a point where it may fail from normal use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it.
Here I would start the claim for the money difference and get it done later.
Look into working a deal so the shop can have the parts here when needed later.
Shop stated if the frame needs to be replaces, it will cost $1500 for the frame and 30 hours of labour. I think their rate is $80-90 an hour. He said most bikes are write offs if they have a bent frame.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
That's not surprising.
If the frame is bent to need replacing many things would not line up depending on where the damaged area is located.
Just because of the money it sounds like your least expensive option is let the shop do the work. 250 now instead of a 500 dollar bumper plus other parts and the time to do the work.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Honestly ... the bar that is bent isn't all that important of a bar to be weakened. I believe that bar (guessing by pics) is the very front upright bar that the winch and plow mounts attach to. I also believe if you fallow it up it holds the rad and fan then the front rack bolts to it or near it. I thi k what you have done is just buckle the frame where the ubolt attaches the plow mount. I don't even see a cracked weld. Now as this is not my machine I can't just say it's fine .. but from what I see I think you are ok and not in dire need of a new frame. I would flake off the paint give it a sand and a painting make sure it's not cracked if it is weld it up and ride on ... I wouldn't worry..... I wouldn't ... you can if you feel fit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly ... the bar that is bent isn't all that important of a bar to be weakened. I believe that bar (guessing by pics) is the very front upright bar that the winch and plow mounts attach to. I also believe if you fallow it up it holds the rad and fan then the front rack bolts to it or near it. I thi k what you have done is just buckle the frame where the ubolt attaches the plow mount. I don't even see a cracked weld. Now as this is not my machine I can't just say it's fine .. but from what I see I think you are ok and not in dire need of a new frame. I would flake off the paint give it a sand and a painting make sure it's not cracked if it is weld it up and ride on ... I wouldn't worry..... I wouldn't ... you can if you feel fit

You're right about it being the upright bar that the plow and winch attach to. I don't know how important the bar is in terms of supporting the rest of the vehicle. My main concern was driving it for a year and then it just breaking off. From what you're saying this isn't much of a concern?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made the claim. Deductible was $250 and the parts I know that are broken are triple that not including the frame or anything else. It's a 2014 and I know I'll be kicking my own ass down the road if it's not perfect. I'd rather pay $250 now and cry once rather than every time I use it.

Thanks for all the help. I will update thus as the process goes on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts