Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am shopping for my first ATV.

One of the things I've been amazed at is the difference in reported weight for different ATVS.

Example:

2016 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE - 692 wet (so around 665 dry?).

2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 700 (single cylinder 700 engine w power steering). Dry weight is 750 pounds!

Why are Yamaha ATVs so much lighter? I get the Can Ams will be heavier because they are twins.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I am shopping for my first ATV.

One of the things I've been amazed at is the difference in reported weight for different ATVS.

Example:

2016 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE - 692 wet (so around 665 dry?).

2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 700 (single cylinder 700 engine w power steering). Dry weight is 750 pounds!

Why are Yamaha ATVs so much lighter? I get the Can Ams will be heavier because they are twins.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
simple ,, Its called better engineering.. Yamaha has been perfecting their frames , and designs for many years. Those years of experience has lead to being able to make a rock solid machine , without overbuilding it.
This hits the point of why I buy Yamaha , and not other brands.. If you dont think carrying around hundreds of extra pounds , hurts performance ,,, Than you must not know much about riding fast , or technical trails.
You can manipulate the Grizz better because it IS lighter than other machines , not to mention getting it out of a thick mud hole will be easier than pulling a Thousand pound beast out..

Can Am and Polaris both have shitty frame designs , and are over built to make up for the shit designs , hence they weigh more , yet still have a worse reliability reputation.
Engineering quality and reliabilty , not quantity and hp.

Question is ,, do you want to go 85mph with a thousand pound drag racing dump truck ? or go 60 mph with a cushy soft , easy to handle , nimble , well built quad ???
To each their own ,, but if I had the choice of which one I want to land on me in the case of a accident ,, I choose the lighter one for sure !
:yrules:

·
Grizzled
3,557 Posts
If you don't think carrying around hundreds of extra pounds , hurts performance ,,, Than you must not know much about riding fast , or technical trails.
Yes, and in simple terms, power to weight ratio and getting that power to the ground.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This weekend was youth season in arkansas. It rained all weekend. The only person who didn't get stuck was me on my grizzly 350. Everyone else sunk to frame. I just cruised up and went right around them. No problem for me, it think it's around 570 wet.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
This weekend was youth season in arkansas. It rained all weekend. The only person who didn't get stuck was me on my grizzly 350. Everyone else sunk to frame. I just cruised up and went right around them. No problem for me, it think it's around 570 wet.
Case and point ,, A Suzuki Samurai. . Set up properly , will walk circles around any big mudder truck with massive tires and hp..

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
Along with the weight compare the ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I remember my son-in-law buying a new Samurai years ago and was told by the dealer that they will float. The third day he had it, he drove into a lake to impress some friends.
"It didn't float"
Lmfao! !

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
I remember my son-in-law buying a new Samurai years ago and was told by the dealer that they will float. The third day he had it, he drove into a lake to impress some friends.
"It didn't float"
:rofl:
Don't stop the story there....
Did the salesman survive to spend the commission?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
ATV weights are actually about the money. I searched but could not find the weight where import duties apply. It is around the 700 pound mark. If it is over then the duties are higher which creates higher pricing as compared to a bike made in North America which has no import duties so it can be made as heavy as the manufacturer wants. With Yamaha now being made in the USA the the weights will start creeping up as compared to a Suzuki or a off brand made overseas. This is why dry weight (no lubricant, water or fuel) used to be so important

Reactions: POHLHAMMER

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
There is a bit of variance though. Most advertised weights are lower than actual. VForceJohn has a setup of 4 wheel digital scales which are extremely accurate. He weighed out a BF750, Renegade1000 and outlander 1000. Advertised weight on the BF750 is 620lbs, it actually weighed out to 833 lbs. Had skidplates, winch, 26" terracross tires and bumpers. Outlander 1000XT, 767lbs advertized, 878lbs actual. Renegade 1000xxc advertised 692lbs, actual 802lbs. He found the Renegade1000 had the best overall balance of any machine he weighed, each tire carried almost exactly an even distributed amount of weight.

Goes to show that any modifications add up fast, especially a winch and skidplates. Remember both times receiving my full skidplates for both machines, forgot the actual weight of the boxes but theyre easily 40+lbs.

Most of the weight difference between yamaha and others are just components used and design. If you notice the Jap machines are typically a little lighter. Compare the size of the drivetrain components on the Grizzly to say Canams. The axles are at least double the thickness. The weight between the bigger motors and the singles. Integrated transmissions in the Jap bikes verses separate units. Chassis designs. Thickness of plastics used. The tube frame on the grizzly is definitely lighter than the square tube design on the canams. Just alot of variables that add up to alot in the end.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I came from an 08 Cat 700 atv to a 2014 Grizz 700. I definitely noticed a big difference in the power to weight ratio, and nicer handling Grizzly. On the other hand, the Cat frame/racks were wayyy beefier, which is one thing I miss, especially when hauling heavier loads/pulling trailer. I guess that's where a lot of the weight difference comes from. I can't speak to how the new Alterra Cat atv's are.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Never knew the actual weights, but I know it's pretty easy to push the griz in n out of the garage, but the gade takes some effort!! Any machine once stuck in the mud is a bear to get out. Bout the only thing I miss bout my raptor. Get stuck, pick up the grab bar n try again.....Now I just float over it lol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
X2 on that. The grizzly is a lot lighter than the renegade. I can stand my grizzly up on its rear rack by myself, I can barely get the front of the renegade off of the ground by myself lol. Same thing with pushing, the grizzly is a lot lighter. That's where it's most noticeable. Almost makes a difference in the rocks, the weight of the renegade kinda weighs it down and makes it feel like a caddy. The grizzly tends to be a little more bouncy (I'm sure the shocks don't help either)

·
Registered
424 Posts
The frames on the Arctic Cats are larger diameter and thicker walled. But it doesn't have the reinforcement at all the intersections/joints like the Grizzly. Smarter engineering but probably a little more work during assembly. With that being said, out Cat has taken a beating and it's still holding up great! It definitely puts the "Heavy" in Heavy duty but it is!

I have bent one of the cross braces on my Grizzly though. Not sure if I hit a rock or it was caused by my plow but it IS bent.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm still wondering how long it will take until the hp wars plateau and the weight war will start. It seems riders are blinded by fancy features, go-fast styling and more hp. Weight has far more consequences than one might think other than in a towing situation and the more rider active one is, the more weight factors in.

I'm not advocating for super lightweight utility atvs, just atvs that are better engineered.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the horse power wars have peaked. Somewhere I read or heard something bout 1000cc being the limit. I think it was CARB bout the 2016 models coming out and the changes from previous models/years. Hard to say what's gonna be next. Prolly like the previous years, different colors haha.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Advertised weight of a brute is 694 for a 2015, 699 for a 2016. Both are wet weight ready to ride.

He did this 2-3 years ago, was a earlier 750. Just an example of weight differences

EDIT:

And all the weights were with almost empty fuel tanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts