Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m trying to remove the axle nut…videos on YouTube make it appear easy….I’m thinking these were dented in excessively! I can’t get a chisel, pry bar, screw driver…much less a punch in there at a great enough angle to bend it outward.

I found a tiny pry bar on Amazon (all the things I had were wider than that bent in part…so I’m hoping the tiny pry bar will work….if NOT; anybody have a suggestion?

I think my alternate course of action will be a cutting wheel on a dremel so I can remove it and just put a new nut on…I think Yamaha “says” to use a new nut which seems unnecessary….

Is that metal that’s bent in weak enough it would break and come off with an impact? Don’t want to damage anything though in the process….Or will I have to cut it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would take a small steel punch and try and tap it outwards, it won't need much and then take it off with an impact gun.
I tried. It’s pushed so far in I can’t get anything in between where it’s closest to the axle. Punch, chisel, pry bar. Screw driver. Nothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If you zoom in, that section I circled in red is so close I can’t in between the axle and the bent metal

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have access to a small bead file, or a fine nosed hemostat? I had to order one when I was helping a buddy with this.

If you've got a nice fine tipped blade you can sacrifice; consider heating/quenching for hardness and use to pry. Amazon also has titanium picking tools if all else fails.

Sh*t like this is custom or self made tools. Good luck regardless...that things pinched good.
I honestly never heard of a hemostat! I’ll look into it. I have files; didn’t think to try and get one behind there. I’ll try!

I did order these to try. It’s like 3mm wide; so narrower than that slot.

I’ll also search titanium picking on Amazon and see what I find.

I wonder if I could use blue thread locker and never mess with this method again….?

Edit: just searched on Amazon. Didn’t realize what a hemostat was….scissor like handles on tweezers lol. Those would be strong enough to bend that metal?

Reactions: Grizzerino

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hemostats can be quite the ass saver. The ass being me. ...you can get stainless ones and; blue them, harden them, soften them...truly quite amazing little things that are cheap enough to stock and use as needed. The thin nosed ones + hardening have gotten me out of several pickle jars.

Hope this helps brotha!
Hardening by simply heating them with a torch?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have access to a small bead file, or a fine nosed hemostat? I had to order one when I was helping a buddy with this.

If you've got a nice fine tipped blade you can sacrifice; consider heating/quenching for hardness and use to pry. Amazon also has titanium picking tools if all else fails.

Sh*t like this is custom or self made tools. Good luck regardless...that things pinched good.
You have the link by chance to the one that worked for you? There are dozens of brands, shapes, sizes, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

This is a quick view. If you look into some YouToobz, you'll find all kinds of diff info for simple home hardening / softening. This little tool set of info can change your game.

The ones I bought are "unavailable" ...but I always search for stainless hemostat and have always had great success. Sorry here; Amazon eats brands like it was cool.
I’ll check it out, thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just spin it off with a impact, I do it all the time. Nothing for it to hurt, the threads are behind it. It is thin metal and just there to keep it from spinning off if it comes loose.
Perfect! I just wanted to ask someone before I hit it with the impact. Didn’t want to f up the end of the axle or something.

Any harm using blue thread locker instead of bending that collar again?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the impact doesn't get it, try several small finishing nails tapped in side by side.
I did that once to get enough space for a larger screw driver.
Good idea. Didn’t think of trying small nails!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Haven’t hit it with impact or even attempted to take it off yet. At family for Thanksgiving so I’ll try this weekend. I’ll try a little heat. Tiny pry bar. Nail. Etc. see what happens. Last ditch effort will be just to take it off with impact.

I’ll update with what happens.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts