Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Do you have access to a small bead file, or a fine nosed hemostat? I had to order one when I was helping a buddy with this.

If you've got a nice fine tipped blade you can sacrifice; consider heating/quenching for hardness and use to pry. Amazon also has titanium picking tools if all else fails.

Sh*t like this is custom or self made tools. Good luck regardless...that things pinched good. 馃槓
Our shop class in high school did this when we made chisels. Heat the metal to just a dark red. Pull back then watch as the colors change on the metal, when it turned blue you could watch the color travel to the tip of the chisel. Just before the blue reached the tip we would thrust it into a can of water. The teacher would then take the chisel in a set of pliers, then whack the chisel with a hammer while against an anvil, if it worked properly the tip was hardened, if too brittle it would shatter, if too soft it would dent.

Registered
Someone needs a better impact 馃 or a bigger breaker bar.. My Dewalt 1/2 impact it鈥檚 already off,, my 3ft breaker bar, it鈥檚 already off. Put a large pry bar across the lugs to keep the hub from turning and impact or breaker bar both work every time, we do dozens a month.

Treat it like an ex girlfriend, hit it hard, beat it off and walk away 馃槼馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀

Please tell me that nuts off already lol

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM FL FOLKS!!

Registered
So I鈥檓 trying to remove the axle nut鈥ideos on YouTube make it appear easy鈥.I鈥檓 thinking these were dented in excessively! I can鈥檛 get a chisel, pry bar, screw driver鈥uch less a punch in there at a great enough angle to bend it outward. I found a tiny pry bar on Amazon (all the things I had were wider than that bent in part鈥o I鈥檓 hoping the tiny pry bar will work鈥.if NOT; anybody have a suggestion? I think my alternate course of action will be a cutting wheel on a dremel so I can remove it and just put a new nut on鈥 think Yamaha 鈥渟ays鈥 to use a new nut which seems unnecessary鈥. Is that metal that鈥檚 bent in weak enough it would break and come off with an impact? Don鈥檛 want to damage anything though in the process鈥.Or will I have to cut it?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try tapping a nail into the slot to widen the gap for the next tool of choice. A little at a time oughtta do it. Let us know how ya make out?

Registered
So I鈥檓 trying to remove the axle nut鈥ideos on YouTube make it appear easy鈥.I鈥檓 thinking these were dented in excessively! I can鈥檛 get a chisel, pry bar, screw driver鈥uch less a punch in there at a great enough angle to bend it outward.

I found a tiny pry bar on Amazon (all the things I had were wider than that bent in part鈥o I鈥檓 hoping the tiny pry bar will work鈥.if NOT; anybody have a suggestion?

I think my alternate course of action will be a cutting wheel on a dremel so I can remove it and just put a new nut on鈥 think Yamaha 鈥渟ays鈥 to use a new nut which seems unnecessary鈥.

Is that metal that鈥檚 bent in weak enough it would break and come off with an impact? Don鈥檛 want to damage anything though in the process鈥.Or will I have to cut it?

Try working a nail in the slot, then move onto the next tool of choice. A little at a time, and you'll be able to work something with enough rigidity to bend it out and get to the nut. Let me know how ya make out?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Haven鈥檛 hit it with impact or even attempted to take it off yet. At family for Thanksgiving so I鈥檒l try this weekend. I鈥檒l try a little heat. Tiny pry bar. Nail. Etc. see what happens. Last ditch effort will be just to take it off with impact.

I鈥檒l update with what happens.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Registered
So I鈥檓 trying to remove the axle nut鈥ideos on YouTube make it appear easy鈥.I鈥檓 thinking these were dented in excessively! I can鈥檛 get a chisel, pry bar, screw driver鈥uch less a punch in there at a great enough angle to bend it outward.

I found a tiny pry bar on Amazon (all the things I had were wider than that bent in part鈥o I鈥檓 hoping the tiny pry bar will work鈥.if NOT; anybody have a suggestion?

I think my alternate course of action will be a cutting wheel on a dremel so I can remove it and just put a new nut on鈥 think Yamaha 鈥渟ays鈥 to use a new nut which seems unnecessary鈥.

Is that metal that鈥檚 bent in weak enough it would break and come off with an impact? Don鈥檛 want to damage anything though in the process鈥.Or will I have to cut it?

I just used my impact and took it right off

21 - 30 of 30 Posts