Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 grizzly 700. Finally had to replace rear left CV. Installed an axle from sixity, when I torqued down the axle nut the shaft won’t spin.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
You need to give us more info to work with, pictures help toooo or a video. Is the bearing locked up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced my axle. When I installed the new one and put everything back on and torqued the axle nut I couldn’t spin the wheel. I took everything back apart and my bearing didn’t look great. Going to replace the bearing and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've noticed some of these aftermarket axle get very close to the bearing housing. "If" in your case the axle was touching the housing, tightening the nut could have damaged your bearing.

When you reassembled it next time verify that the axle is not touching the bearing housing first. If it does you could make a tad more clearance with a pencil grinder or dremel.

Reactions: TiccyTac

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
@Peters907 ...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

First I would double check that I have the right axle. Sixity axles have oem size cups so they should not cause an issue.
Does the axle turn without the nut on?
Transmission in neutral.

With the right axle. The axle nut jams the hub tight against the axle shoulder locking the center bearing race between the two.
A bad bearing is a possibility. The ball bearings can crack, even fragment. I've seen the outer bearing race broken a time or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info I’ll check when I get a new bearing.
The axle will spin without the nut tightened down but when I tighten anything more than almost hand tight the hub will not spin.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The axle will spin without the nut tightened down but when I tighten anything more than almost hand tight the hub will not spin.
More then likely your axle is making contact with the bearing housing in this location.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
First verify it's the right axle. Second verify if it really is making contact at this location, third you could return it or do what I suggested a few posts ago.

Reactions: Peters907

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I've not heard of a failed bearing locking up to break an axle, but maybe this can happen.
I would stick the outer shaft of the old axle back in there to tighten and see the result.
I have seen a bearing that seemed good, and when removed (pressed out) fell apart in my hand and was full of rust and dirt.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
With the axle nut loose the axle is turning the inner race and maybe turning in the bearing race. When tightening the nut the the bearing inner race is suppose to be locked/crushed between the hub and the shoulder of the axle. The axle is not suppose to turn in the bearing race. It maybe as @Vincent indicated the CV cup is in contact with the knuckle. However there is a strong possibility that the bearing is junk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the axle nut loose the axle is turning the inner race and maybe turning in the bearing race. When tightening the nut the the bearing inner race is suppose to be locked/crushed between the hub and the shoulder of the axle. The axle is not suppose to turn in the bearing race. It maybe as @Vincent indicated the CV cup is in contact with the knuckle. However there is a strong possibility that the bearing is junk.
I’m going to Yamaha shop today to buy new bearings and see if that is my issue. If that doesn’t fix I will go back to step one and trouble shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts