Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Baby Annoucement, 2014 Red Grizzly 700 EPS, weighing in at 648 lbs wet

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  RedRocket 
#1 ·
Drove a total of 15 hours yesterday, 9 hours today to pick up a new to me 2014 Red Grizzly 700 EPS w/ 300 miles on her. Has winch, Yamaha HD front bumper and SS 14" wheels with ITP Terracross TR (?) shoes on her. Let's just say I'm pretty excited to have her in the family and the "long" transformation to add aftermarket parts will begin. First starting with the plow front mount as more snow expected in a day.

Yes, has a Chiefs sticker on her, for now, and no disrespect for the Chiefs as I was pulling for them to win this year. Does that make me a closet Chiefs fan? I'm not sure but good for them for winning what was a very entertaining game.

First pic mine, others were from the posted sale.

See less See more
Reactions: rwreuter and Blklab
#2 ·

Attachments

#4 ·
Nice looking atv red rocket! Glad you found a 14/15 as well! Found me a 15 few months back love it!

#5 ·
Congrats! That one had been for sale for months! Hope you got a good deal.

Reactions: RedRocket
#11 ·
Yes, I feel the price I paid ($6500) was very fair considering it also had $800 in after market wheels/tires along with winch and the Yamaha HD bumper. And with only $300 miles, this was his wife's machine, it is just broken in. Everything looked really clean, started up perfect from cold, no visible leaks, etc. Only minor thing I saw in the pictures and asked him about, prior to driving to KC, was the right rear rack is slightly bent down. He assured me it wasn't bent from a roll-over just that it bent from a heavy object on it. The Grizzly did not looked rolled at all, all plastic is in very good shape and looks original. He also has 35 acres so I was able to take the bike around for a rip, everything works as expected and feels a lot stronger than the 07. But, that can also be partially from KC being at about 1000 feet elevation where I'm at 8000 feet.

#6 ·
Congrats to the proud pappa. Keep us updated on it's transformation.

#10 ·
Quick question, is that the proper front bumper for that bike? Doesn't look mounted right. It looks very similar to my rival rear bumper I just bought.
It's the Yamaha HD bumper, which is obviously aftermarket.

#12 ·
That would be about 28% difference in power.

#13 · (Edited)
Yes. The 14 definitely needed the air filter cleaned. It is clean now but when I ripped on it was a filthy air filter. At least I know the air filter was oiled well.

Jim, you've also mentioned before that you've drilled holes in your airbox for increased air flow for altitude?

#18 ·
Jim, you've also mentioned before that you've drilled holes in your airbox for increased air flow for altitude?
Yes I have many holes drilled in the air box lid.

This all started many years ago when many carb. bikes were still in use, and everyone thought....
For riding at high elevations the fix for running rich was to jet down the fuel supplied to the engine. Well I tried new jets and that was absolutely wrong so I got to thinking I needed more air, not less fuel.
I didn't want to run a hard day ride without the lid as it holds the filter in place, to experience the difference with more air, then I made a trip to Moab to ride with L.E. and his posse on their snorkeled bikes and I got to ask many questions to realize my solution.
Those guys run snorkeled intakes for the muskeg so I asked how they did when more power was needed and L.E. told me about how they have a sliding door/cover over the filter to let in more air for w.o.t. and can close the door to seal the intake from water to the height of the snorkel. (if you remember a couple weeks ago I posted pictures of them swimming the bikes, and commented that one rider swamped his bike, he forgot to close the door.)
Anyway, I got home and measured the snorkel opening area on my 660 and it is very small, so I drilled most of the holes at 1/2" and one bigger at 3/4".
I can cover the holes with tape carried in the box if deep water is ahead and the extra air was my solution to the rich mixture.
And a side benefit was not pulling hot air and steam from under the gas tank cover when hitting water fast and splashing water on the exhaust.

#14 ·
Congrats RR! Great color! :p

#16 ·
Twinsies! :geek:

Although if you have a Chiefs sticker on yours, mine does not any longer. Got the snow plow front mount moved over and a few things done to her today.

Reactions: it400
#15 ·
Congrats on your new ride, looking forward to another Colorado trip and check that bad boy out!!!?

#17 ·
Congrats on the new ride man!

#19 ·
I have a Champion Inverter Generator and Champion also recommends drilling holes in the air box for increased air flow at altitude as well. Of course if the generator is worried about water flooding into the air box, I've got bigger issues to worry about.

#20 ·
You may not want to mount it to the grizz then, _hit happens

#24 ·
What, and not have my generator running with my full stereo system blasting? How dare you suggest such a thing. :p

#25 ·
So does drilling holes for increased air really help if even on the flat lands of Michigan ?
At the altitude we are riding, it is fact that oxygen levels are lower and you'll get about a 3% decrease in engine performance for every 1000 feet up in elevation. I live at 8000 feet and most of my riding is done there or higher. With an ICE engine, lack of oxygen results in a richer burn, meaning more fuel than the optimal burn for power.

However, increase in air flow, like you see tuners using for cold air intakes or higher flowing air intakes, will require a fuel tuner to add more fuel. If you don't add more fuel, you can run the engine lean and that is NOT good for reliability. So drilling holes in an intake to add air at an elevation where the tune is not requiring more air would require a fuel tuner to add more fuel, else, chance running lean. As mentioned, running lean is not good for an ICE and in some cases can result in a blown engine. If you're going to pay to play, play smart ;)

Reactions: biknboat
#22 · (Edited)
I've had my 660 from 3000 feet in Moab to 14,000 ft. here and there has not been a problem from the lid holes, and you can always cover them up. You cannot worry about a cheap cover when performance is on the line.

#26 ·
Congrats nice find!

#27 ·
That is sweet. Congratulations. But I would suggest keeping the Chiefs sticker. It looks FANTASTIC. And yes, closeted or not you are now on the bandwagon. There is plenty of room for anyone else.

#29 ·
Ha, Chiefs stickers have already been removed. Got me a CO Grizzly sticker on it now, maybe a CO Avalanche sticker to follow later.

Most importantly, most of the previous Grizzly mods are starting to move over to the 2014 Grizzly. Except, OEM muffler stays, no more aftermarket pipes as they are just too loud for me. I may buy a tuner for it but only after I get the AFR meter installed first.

#28 ·
That's a very nice addition to your family. Congrats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.