Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 450 and have searched this forum up and down before I asked for help. I have tapped into my reverse switch wire and determined it supplies 12-13v when gear selector is in reverse. I have tried to figure out why my trigger is gounding out and not firing the relay to turn on the back up light.
I have confirmed 2 different relays work with other trigger wires. I have even installed an in-line diode from the reverse sensor wire and confirmed polarity.

What is going on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although you confirmed polarity, any chance the stock back up lights are turned on by the ground connection being made?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although you confirmed polarity, any chance the stock back up lights are turned on by the ground connection being made?
I have an aftermarket light bar. I remove the reverse sensor wire and wire as if I will use a swith...all works as expected. If I trigger the light with another 12v power source it works as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the relay trigger wire positive or ground? E.g. is there 12 volts between it and ground or does it have continuity with ground when “on”?

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
I have a 2012 450 and have searched this forum up and down before I asked for help. I have tapped into my reverse switch wire and determined it supplies 12-13v when gear selector is in reverse. I have tried to figure out why my trigger is gounding out and not firing the relay to turn on the back up light.
I have confirmed 2 different relays work with other trigger wires. I have even installed an in-line diode from the reverse sensor wire and confirmed polarity.

What is going on?
Welcome from Colorado.
I ain't no electrical expert so be easy :)
And I haven't tried this with a bike or read a f.s.m either so.....
You said you taped into, like with a scotch-lock?
What happens if you cut the reverse light wire, use the power supply to the light and from the light, run another wire back to the other side of the reverse light wire?

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
reverse switch info needed for reverse lighting - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Look up this thread and I believe page 2 has a working diagram that many of us has used on the 700's. I didn't use a switch with mine as I always drive with my lights on and I get power with the tail light. I have since done this on my 600 and instead of wiring to my tail light I wired to a fuse block and my reverse light now comes on without my lights being on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the relay trigger wire positive or ground? E.g. is there 12 volts between it and ground or does it have continuity with ground when “on”?
Some how the reverse sensor wire is going to ground when I hook battery to 30, reverse light to 87, ground to 86 and the reverse sensor supply wire to 85. When I pick a different supply wire it all works as should. What is causing the reverse sensor to ground and not trigger the relay?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just my guess, but you have the line opposite the trigger wire 85 (which we now know is to ground) that is also going to ground, when it should actually go to 12v positive. Maybe 86 should be to positive? If you want to test this guess don’t bolt it up, use a fuse in line on 86 to test it in case I’m wrong, or just momentarily touch 86 to positive with 85 triggered to ground. Basically I think you’re currently just connecting a ground (trigger wire 85) to a ground (86) in the relay, so the relay isn’t making the high current connection, because it isn’t being powered internally.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
You must use a 5 pin relay, one that has 87a. The positive from your battery supply goes to 30 & 86,your wire from your reverse sensor goes to 85, and your positive from your backup light goes to 87a, negative from your backup light to ground. 87 is not used. the working configuration from the above thread on page 2 is the one I used on 2 700's and on my 600 and they work, I hope this helps.I didn't use a switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must use a 5 pin relay, one that has 87a. The positive from your battery supply goes to 30 & 86,your wire from your reverse sensor goes to 85, and your positive from your backup light goes to 87a, negative from your backup light to ground. 87 is not used. the working configuration from the above thread on page 2 is the one I used on 2 700's and on my 600 and they work, I hope this helps.I didn't use a switch.
When I try this set-up the 87a is hot all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I had a problem with this setup on my 600 ( reverse light always on ) then I realized I had wires to the wrong terminals on the relay, not saying this is your problem, just to double check them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a problem with this setup on my 600 ( reverse light always on ) then I realized I had wires to the wrong terminals on the relay, not saying this is your problem, just to double check them.
Double checked and all is correct. Still on all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts