Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a higher speed run on my 450 it always seems to back fire on declaration. I guess that means it is run rich.ive heard that most all grizzly run rich from factory.im at sea level with a uni filter installed but it's been doing it since I got the bike.will a exhaust tip help the backfiring a bit.seems it would reduce back pressure some.am I right?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
If you check the plug you should find it is running lean. Try cracking the throttle on decel and see if the back fire stops.
The tip makes the pop louder. On mine others see a 2 ft. flame come through when it pops.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I I just let the bike coast to a stop is when it backfires.if I give it shots of throttle while slowing down I don't back fire.how can I fix this?I'm guessing jetting of course

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
I'm not sure you can make it stop all the time. I learned to keep a little throttle on because of the high back shift from the heavier secondary spring, and for the most part the back fire doesn't happen.
If I raise the slide and the idle comes up, the wet clutch is engaged and the grizz jumps going into gear. I put up with the pop, and every now and then laugh when it goes off next to someone for the first time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.the first time it happened to me it frighten the crap out of me.taught someone was firing a gun at me.

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
You can't ride scared. Go to idle and fire back.

Reactions: alextm33
C

·
0 Posts
Mine does it now and in a blue moon, very rare. I'm on stock plug though, so maybe that is contributing to it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always taught if it back fires on deceleration it was extra fuel in the exhaust which to me would.mean it's rich.but now after more research it seems that when it lean it backfires and no flame and when it backfires with a flame coming out it means it's rich.

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
I hear you.
I think it's an accumulation of gas building up on a long no throttle decel that goes off. Mine doesn't backfire several times in rapid succession on one decel event.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine only pops once while declerating also.you would think they would come tuned properly from factory wouldn't you.

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
Mine is.
I remember trucks with 350" engines and cars with 327" engines with carbs that popped like this when decelerated in low from high rpm's, say 7000 rpm's. They ran great.
My grizz gets high mpg if the C.V.T. set-up is for that, pulls hard if the C.V.T. is set for that and runs great from 3000 ft to 13,000 ft+.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts