Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 GRIZZLY 700 450 MILES ON IT. I RIDE A LOT OF MUD THOUGH HENCE THE LOW MILES. WHEN I RIDE IT I TEND TO RIDE HARD.

So I went out trail riding today. Ran it hard on bumpy dirt trails. I kept hearing a clucking sound from the front end when turning back and forth. Harder I rode, louder the clunk. ONLY when I would turn from one direction to the other while moving. It did this in 2WD and 4WD. When I stopped to check it out I couldn't find anything.
Finally I felt the axle near the diff and it was pretty loose with a lot of play at the joint and where going into the front diff.. The other side was tight and had no play.

Jacked it up, ran the maching in the air in 4wd and turned back and forth. No noise.

Took tires off and everything else that could make noise is tight. When running can turn stationary and no noise, so I think steering components are out. Has to be something turning.

Drained diff fluid, no metal or anything in oil.

Made the most noise when i was turning hard from one direction to the other, especially under pressure.

Any thoughts? I am thinking the joint is bad and need to replace it. Going up mudding in 2 weeks so probably need to get this fixed haha.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
I have a thread on hear somewhere, about my 2015 Grizzly doing this, the wheel bearings holes were bored to deep, your wheel bearing in and out or left and right is sliding inside of ? Holder.

confirm by grabbing a hold of the top of wheel with machine in the ground and pull in and out, or back and forth, should replicate the popping noise.

unfirtunatrly all four of mine were bad, three were replaced under warranty, fourth was back ordered, my dealer closed and the fourth was never fixed.

the dealer glued the bearing in place with something? I don’t ride that machine much. Lot it’s or Glue has held, the bearing and the other part will all need replaced, I thought about looking for a machinist washer and put behind the bearing.

The 15 is a great machine

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Pull the axle and inspect.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts

Made the most noise when i was turning hard from one direction to the other, especially under pressure.

Just at lock? Are those big Zillas scrubbing the frame?
Check the dif mounts if loose could be the source of a clunk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.
There is not play or noise with the wheels on and pulling from side to side or from the top while on the ground.
I had smaller radials on for this ride (25 inch tires) , so the zillas were not rubbing.

Going to pull the skids and check mounts and also pull the axle and have a look at it. I think is the axle but we will see.

I will probably order new wheel bearings also just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also the clicking/knocking started doing it on slow speeds when I unloaded it. Seemed to have gotten worse throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update:
Pulled both hubs and axles. Both axle joints seem to have about the same play in them. I am not 100% sure what Im looking for thought. Been a while since I changed one.

The front bearings: The inner races seem pretty loose. The inner bearing races wobble around some. Normal?? The outer races seem to be in there pretty well. Could bad wheel bearings make that sound? It sounded like metal on metal clucks. at first I thought my winch rollers were just bouncing back and forth for perspective on sound.

Any advice?
Joe

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
There should be no slop in the bearing, with the axle in hand see if there is any slop/play in the joints.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Clunking to metallic clicking makes a difference. How you have described the wheel bearings they are shot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes sorry I should have described better. When Turning under load from side to side it would make a metal on metal clunk almost like something was stuck then released and made a clunk. I could not feel anything through the steering wheel but could here it.
Very strange. Is it worth getting new axles just in case? The axles joints seem right and all four seem the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I ordered new bearings and diff seals just to be on the safe side. Joints seem like they are tight and in good shape. Was kinda hoping one would be knocking actually.
I will put it back together and see if it still makes the noise. We shall see.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:
Changed the front bearings and oil seals. Put it back together and test drove. I didn't hear the noise now, so maybe it was the bearings? Kinda odd but will drive it more today. Comparing the old bearing to the new bearing it was very shot.

I have posted this before, but will post again. Bearings through Yamaha are 80 some dollars each. If you need bearings, go to your Kawasaki dealer and order Part number 92045-0800. They are the EXACT SAME BEARING, SAME STAMPS AND NUMBERS, but they only cost $29 each. Yamaha just jacks the price up. I ordered 4 just for the heck of it as I will need them sometime and at 29 buck each they are cheap.

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
@Tomjan85 thanks for the update. While it is well known around here thanks for the reminder on the bearings.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Made in Japan Koyo bearing-ball, DAC3055W Qnty.4 $41.00 Total, $10.25 each, back in 2014 before they jacked up the price on these Kawasaki bearings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts