Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some long overdue maintenance on the ATV today and found that the rear seal on the front differential is leaking a fair amount. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? Do you have to pull the axles or can you just pull the differential forward and drop the driveshaft out of it? I wasn't able to find much on this in forums or YouTube; most of it talks about changing out the axle seals. Any advise, tips or tricks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was doing some long overdue maintenance on the ATV today and found that the rear seal on the front differential is leaking a fair amount. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? Do you have to pull the axles or can you just pull the differential forward and drop the driveshaft out of it? I wasn't able to find much on this in forums or YouTube; most of it talks about changing out the axle seals. Any advise, tips or tricks would be appreciated.
I see your quad is a 08 , If it were me and the half shaft’s and drive shaft seal are all original , I would pull the axles etc and replace them all at once and be done with it. Just a tip , when I installed the locker on my kodiak I pulled the axle shafts , removed the diff mounting bolts and used a pry bar to lift the diff from the mounts . Then I held the drive shaft and with a dead blow hammer tapped the diff off from the drive shaft .

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
It's tight but can be done.
Drain the dif as you will want new fluid in it when you are done. Remove the front dif mounting bolts and slide it forward to remove the drive shaft. No need to remove the axles. Remove the coupler, pry out the old seal. Grease the seal lips then carefully tap in the new seal.

Inspect the coupler most times there will be a groove worn in it from the seal. If replace it or get a speedi-sleeve. It will leak if it is grooved.
Use some blue Loctite in the coupler nut. Torque it to 45ftlbs.
Replace fluid.
Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, so I got it all apart and the coupling (see part #4 in the above diagram or part #5 in the online parts catalogs) does need to be replaced. I can't find any place, including FleaBay or Amazon, that has them in stock and I need one soon so I can get it put back together for my elk hunt in 3 weeks. Online prices are anywhere from $77 to $120. What is your go-to place for hard to get parts?

UPDATE: I finally found the part in stock at Partzilla!

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Don't forget a new seal.

·
Premium Member
5,871 Posts
Check your motor mounts too, make sure motor is not flopping around Causing excessive driveshaft movement. My son learned that lesson.

Reactions: brentru

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update to the update. Partzilla screwed me. They said they had 3 in stock when I ordered last week and now they are saying that it will be the end of the month before the part is available. A great way to lose a 1st time customer.

Back on the hunt for someone who has the part in stock and isn't going to bend me over on pricing....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts