Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 grizzly 660
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 grizzly 660 with a bad front drive shaft or prop shaft. When replacing do I need to stick to oem or is aftermarket better? Also where should I order it from? I just don't want to order one then realize I spent way to much or ordered junk. I bought this bike from a friend cheap and really like it so I'm gonna put a little money into it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
You do not need to run an OEM front driveshaft. Aftermarket shafts work fine and are much, much cheaper. Your also going to need to couplers since they wear with the driveshaft, and you should replace the seals since your in there (that will be OEM only).

I am running an aftermarket front driveshaft from Parts Discounter on eBay for several years now. Works perfect.

When you replace the shaft, be sure to elongate the front diff mounting holes using a file. This will close the gap on the rear coupler and prevent it from wearing out again in the future.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
X-2 :)
if dezz said it, hook a deposit slip to it and go to the bank!

Reactions: Constant

·
Registered
2007 grizzly 660
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do not need to run an OEM front driveshaft. Aftermarket shafts work fine and are much, much cheaper. Your also going to need to couplers since they wear with the driveshaft, and you should replace the seals since your in there (that will be OEM only).

I am running an aftermarket front driveshaft from Parts Discounter on eBay for several years now. Works perfect.

When you replace the shaft, be sure to elongate the front diff mounting holes using a file. This will close the gap on the rear coupler and prevent it from wearing out again in the future.
Thanks. I've been to busy to mess with it but I'm about to get started working on it. How much does the mounting holes need to be elongated? It doesn't look like there is much to elongate.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Thanks. I've been to busy to mess with it but I'm about to get started working on it. How much does the mounting holes need to be elongated? It doesn't look like there is much to elongate.
3/16" to 1/4".
Be best to Google it. Lots of information out there on it. Very well documented.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
3/16" to 1/4".
Be best to Google it. Lots of information out there on it. Very well documented.
I elongated mine 3/16" around 5mm. I bought a Chinese Q-link shaft. Worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts