Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to Yamaha. I have owned Honda's for over 20 years. I now have a 2019 Grizzly 700 eps se with the 14inch wheels on it. The gas mielage seems awful compared to the Foremans I've owned. I know they are 475cc compared to the 686 I now have but it's surprising. 3 fill ups to get to 100 miles. Wondering if this is normal or it will get better after being really broken in. Just performed my first maintenance of an oil change and front and rear diff fluids. Also sounds a little bit whiny in the front end after letting off the gas. Maybe It's just a new experience from the Honda's. I did put a k&n air filter on it and the 2r exhaust tip. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
You using low gear all the time?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That doesn't sound normal. But trail conditions and average speed matter alot.

My 2019 grizzly can do 100 miles on a tank, but that's cruising on easy terrain

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Are you riding very slow? The Griz will use more fuel at 10-15 than at 25-30

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,741 Posts
How many gallons of fuel per fill-up? You should know that the Yamaha fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate. On older model Grizzly 700s, the fuel gauge could start flashing at 50'ish miles where if you keep going you could possibly get 90-100 miles total before actually running out of fuel. Not sure if the newer models have a more accurate gauge.

Reactions: Cutlass

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you leaving it in 4wd when riding ? My wife likes to ride her kodiak in 4wd and she will burn more gas than I riding the same trails.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
You will find it hard to convert from running a Honda the last 20 years, Hondas are good on fuel and a lot quieter than the Griz running along on the trail, fuel mileage on mine is around 75-85 miles or 140kms give or take per tank at normal easy riding conditions, my fuel gauge will show 1 bar left which is just a little under a half a tank of fuel left, that usually shows this at about 40-50 miles, once the last bar goes out your getting low, I have not pushed mine much past the last bar.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly eps armour gray 2019 WR250r PW50 that’s it for yammies
17 Posts
I know this doesn’t help, but those og bighorns in 26” look huge compared to the 27” Zillas that came on it. 100miles to a tank is about what I’ve gotten on most every atv I’ve owned or ridden with.

The whine you hear is likely the cvt that you’re not use to hearing coming from Honda. My first cvt atv I know was quite a change from the gear driven Honda’s I rode before.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Never. Always high gear. Just riding on gravel roads.
Have you got 200 miles on'er yet?
I suggest a good break-in, get a few hundred miles on the odo and see if the m.p.g. come up. There are simple c.v.t. mods to increase mileage for your riding style and conditions, keep us posted on your miles v hours on the display. I average 10 m.p.h. over 800 hours, some fast and some slow, and get great m.p.g.
Let us know if you want to make c.v.t. changes, we'll start at the beginning when you're ready.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Grizzly
46 Posts
I get 40-50 out of a tank pushing hard thru deep snow 4 wheel locked. On gravel rides 80-100 and tails 70-90.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I get 60 to 70 miles per tank on my 08 with 27" Bighorns with a pipe and programmer pushing it hard so that doesn't seem normal to me.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Grizzly
46 Posts
My 40‐50 miles is GPS miles. Odometer Miles is more than double. Riding in mud for 50 feet or a 100 yards compared to riding in 3 ft deep snow for 5-10 miles at a time. We are constantly turning tires 2-5 times to 1. My honda goes thru around double the fuel also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How many gallons of fuel per fill-up? You should know that the Yamaha fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate. On older model Grizzly 700s, the fuel gauge could start flashing at 50'ish miles where if you keep going you could possibly get 90-100 miles total before actually running out of fuel. Not sure if the newer models have a more accurate gauge.
I was having the same issue of bad miliage. Then I realised the fuel gauge isn't acuratie.
Mine is a 2019.

How do the bighorns perform compaired to the zilla's? They say they are alot heavier? Do you notice any performance drop ?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I'm fairly new to Yamaha. I have owned Honda's for over 20 years. I now have a 2019 Grizzly 700 eps se with the 14inch wheels on it. The gas mielage seems awful compared to the Foremans I've owned. I know they are 475cc compared to the 686 I now have but it's surprising. 3 fill ups to get to 100 miles. Wondering if this is normal or it will get better after being really broken in. Just performed my first maintenance of an oil change and front and rear diff fluids. Also sounds a little bit whiny in the front end after letting off the gas. Maybe It's just a new experience from the Honda's. I did put a k&n air filter on it and the 2r exhaust tip. Please advise.
View attachment 99107 View attachment 99108 View attachment 99109
3 fill ups ? How many gallons are you putting in at these fill ups? That would be more accurate for figuring MPG. I average 10 to 15 according to my odometer vs. gallons.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,741 Posts
How do the bighorns perform compaired to the zilla's? They say they are alot heavier? Do you notice any performance drop ?
I have never run Maxxis Zilla tires so I don't have a comparison to offer on those tires. I do run BigHorn originals and they are definitely heavier than what came stock on both my 07 Grizzly 700 and 2014 Grizzly 700. I am also running the 26" version which are definitely bigger than the stock tires. I did notice a performance loss but it is worth it in my opinion as the increased traction is far greater than the performance loss. To counter the performance loss, I did end up going with the CVT mods --> Coop45 machined moveable primary sheave, .7mm shim and an EPI purple secondary spring. Absolutely worth doing the CVT mods to make up for the increased tire size and weight.

I basically followed the CVT mods of what many others on GC have done and it has worked out well.

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
555 Posts
I have a 700 XT-R with Maxxis Zilla's and my last two trail rides (1/2 technical 1/2 normal trail), were about 35 miles each and I burned 1.5 gallons each time. My 2020 700 actually gets better gas mileage than my '11 550 grizzly. I use 89 octane, non-ethanol gas.

·
Registered
555 Posts
3 fill ups ? How many gallons are you putting in at these fill ups? That would be more accurate for figuring MPG. I average 10 to 15 according to my odometer vs. gallons.
That's what I was wondering. When my gauge hits one bar, I've only used 2 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My 40‐50 miles is GPS miles. Odometer Miles is more than double. Riding in mud for 50 feet or a 100 yards compared to riding in 3 ft deep snow for 5-10 miles at a time. We are constantly turning tires 2-5 times to 1. My honda goes thru around double the fuel also.
That explains it. Lead Thumb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts