Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! The front right wheel it is hard to turn and makes a click-click,click noise when I turn it. I removed the brake, still did it. Front left does not make this noise. I tried 4WD and the front right wheel turned and I could stop it with my hand, impossible with the diff-lock. So it seems the diff lock is fine, but the sound seems to come from where the diff is located. Boot is also fine. What do you think it is?

Video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s276vp1llp40ls/2018-03-09 18.46.56.mov?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I don't think it's a ball joint because the noise is when you turn the hub with no load on the ball joint. Could be a bearing or cv axle hard to tell from the video.

·
Registered
127 Posts
think I might have a similar problem right now on my '14 grizzly 450... I went a tough snow ride, and the next day I started hearing clicking and a squeeking noise... I noticed the clicking when going into gear and starting to move foward, you can actually feel it. The squeeking comes from going in reserve slowly, or forward slowly, or slowing when to about 10mph. Not sure if it is a bearing or what. I've also been suspect of a balljoint problem for awhile now, but that could be different from this... I thought maybe it's just mud/dirt buildup somewheres on the wheels or on the drive shaft...? I haven't found the problem yet, but I also haven't removed the tires to take a good look yet. Might do that today...

Also, I got the bike with 1500 miles on it, and I'm nearing 5200 at the moment, and bearings haven't been regreased or replaced. So, it's a matter of time before they start going, especially the way I drive kind of hard. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's a ball joint because the noise is when you turn the hub with no load on the ball joint. Could be a bearing or cv axle hard to tell from the video.

I investigated a bit and it seems it is normal when you have the grizz jacked up to hear the clicking noise on the front right wheel. Seems the diff is built that way. When the grizz is back on the ground (load on the wheels) there is no noise. I assume this theory is correct. Otherwise I will update again.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think I might have a similar problem right now on my '14 grizzly 450... I went a tough snow ride, and the next day I started hearing clicking and a squeeking noise... I noticed the clicking when going into gear and starting to move foward, you can actually feel it. The squeeking comes from going in reserve slowly, or forward slowly, or slowing when to about 10mph. Not sure if it is a bearing or what. I've also been suspect of a balljoint problem for awhile now, but that could be different from this... I thought maybe it's just mud/dirt buildup somewheres on the wheels or on the drive shaft...? I haven't found the problem yet, but I also haven't removed the tires to take a good look yet. Might do that today...

Also, I got the bike with 1500 miles on it, and I'm nearing 5200 at the moment, and bearings haven't been regreased or replaced. So, it's a matter of time before they start going, especially the way I drive kind of hard. Any thoughts?

It’s a different thing. I think you should jack it up and check if there is play on the wheels or axles. But the bearings I think they make more noise the faster you go.

Please let us know when you find out. Many posts start with the description of a problem but few end explaining the cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts