Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Barkers Exhaust Issue

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  213welder 
#1 ·
Hey guys, anyone out there experiencing the issues like I'm having with Barkers slip-on? I have had 2 of these things explode on me now. Both times I was running the quite core insert with a EHS tuner. I've ripped off everything and put it back to stock for now.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Holly s...!
Some kind of backfire in the pipe.
Start thinking of if the ais is blocked or not?

I have tuned thumpers for many years and never seen anything like this!

I have the barker slipon but with 16 inch lenght on my kodiak 700 with ehs tuner/airbox.
My bike could not handle more fuel then G3.5 Y1.5 R1.5 otherwise it's backfire hard on deceleration and lose power. Sea level and 95 or 98 octane eu fuel.

But I have the EU version with E10 on the fuelcap if the base map differ or not.

The constrution of the quit cores are not good in my opinion, I going to reduce the outlet diameter with a short coning just in front of the tailpipe.
About 30 to 40mm in diameter may work good on a big thumper like this.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm thinking the quite core/spark arrestor is way too restrictive with that little screen. We ride a lot of lakes here in MN with lots of snow so both times when the CAN exploded it was when I'm wide open throttle for a couple minutes at a time.

-AIS is blocked.

-Tuner set to 4, 2, 1.5, 1.5, 2.5 3 these are how EHS said to have it set (wheeler ran great on these settings with very little backfiring)

Just be careful if you have the new 708cc holding it wide open for long periods of time under a load like snow/mud

I've made a insert that replaces the factory exhaust spark arrestor that's less restrictive and seems to be working awesome so far. Put the tuner back on and messing around with settings with the new insert installed.

#4 ·
Thank's for the warning!

I going to have this stated in my mind, and trying 40mm first and see how it damper the soundlevel.

Even with the aprox 420mm can, the soundlevel is to mutch ...
I may repack it with a different wool also, and take out the stainlesssteel shield around the internal core to lowering the db's.
From my experiance, a short cone at the end dosent restrict the flow mutch compaired to the tube style cores many manufactures tend to use.

I havent measured the header of the 708 engine, but it seems to be around 45mm.
So a 40mm cone whant restrict mutch especially when the exhaustgases have cooled down a bit when turning into the cone at the end.

#5 ·
Did you use the oem 1" quiet core, or the highflow quiet core that close to 1 1/4"?

Emailed barkers yesterday about the quiet cores, and got to answer that the highflow 1" core is bigger then the standard 1".
They dont reccomend the standard 1" for the reson I think your exhaust did.
They stated that the alu endcap gone to hot and blow out with an standard 1" core for the newer grizz 700.

#6 ·
The quite core they keep sending me is about a 1 1/4" ID. My opinion they didn't do enough R&D on there pipe for the new 700. Not enough flow and thin aluminum equals bad scenario. It happened to me twice and they didn't know how to respond the 2nd time. If your a every day rider and stick to trails you'll probably be fine, if you mud and snow ride hard -- good Luck cause you'll end up stranded lime I was. DON'T BUY BARKERS.

#7 ·
Issue isn't with barkers pipe. issue is with your tune. Must be dumping lots of raw unburnt fuel to do that kind of damage

Find someone to Dyno tune for you

#8 ·
Dang i'm sorry for your issues but i have to agree with Werner. I've not heard of anything like that happening with someone running the fuel duals or a slip on. I've ran full duals for 9k miles. If someone told me i was easy on them i'd laugh and sling mud/dirt in there face. full throttle 10's of minutes on minutes drifting snow i ended up blowing my first 734 but wouldnt have blamed the exhaust for that. If it really is an issue with the slip on i'm sure Eric would help you out. Only issue i've had was what appeared to be a small air gap where the pipe meets the can. They offered to replace but i had 5 rides lined up so i put gasket maker on it about 3 yrs ago and its held ever since.

To tell people not to buy barkers... i respectfully disagree with you. They are a great mod for the grizz once you get into the motor its even more important to have!!

#9 ·
The whole set-up came from Eric over at EHS racing. There the one's who do the dyno and send it out all ready to go. I don't have any issue with the tuner it's the exahust. After the first one exploded Barkers even stated that they have seen some issues and changed the design a bit.

I have now made my own exhaust and kept the same tuner with all the same settings and have had Zero issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.